New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Discussion
Suggestion for Horizon and others

I love biplanes and all Golden Age aircraft. I have the UMX Pitts and UMX Beast. But they are not enough for me. I have the Durifly Monocoupe but it is a little too big.

I would like to see more variety in the small sizes. By small, I mean less than 30 in wingspan (24 to 26 would be ideal). 40 inch is too big.

Do you think it would do any good to petition Horizon to introduce more of this size? Examples could be classics like:

General Aristocrat
Ballanca Skyrocket
Howard DG-6 (Mr. Mulligan)
Velie Monocoupe
Curtis Jenny
Tiger Moth
Ryan ST
Great Lakes Trainer
Pietenpol "Air Camper"
Cessna 195 "Businessliner"

I would buy any of these or all of them if a reputable company like Horizon offered them.

Are you listening Horizon?
JWDen is offline Find More Posts by JWDen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
851 Posts
I too would love to see a broader offering for scale olden- time aircraft, but I'm of the opinion that the size of the catalog reflects the size of the market- and while we may eagerly snatch up new biplane offerings Horizon may not be able to guarantee the success of such a production run.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,072 Posts
24 inch wing DC3 with grass wheels, A pby with 24 inch wings, 24 inch Ford tri motor. Love all these but they are only big planes. They could call it the back yard planes.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Karthryn Flying Model Simulator
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
I too would love to see a broader offering for scale olden- time aircraft, but I'm of the opinion that the size of the catalog reflects the size of the market- and while we may eagerly snatch up new biplane offerings Horizon may not be able to guarantee the success of such a production run.

I'm afraid you are probably right, Julezwatts. . But look at the popularity of the Archer. People that have it love it (including me).

I really get tired of all the warbirds. Seems like everyone offers a P-51 or a corsair.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadwight View Post
24 inch wing DC3 with grass wheels, A pby with 24 inch wings, 24 inch Ford tri motor. Love all these but they are only big planes. They could call it the back yard planes.
Those would be great choices. I would buy any of them in small scale.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:41 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDen View Post
I'm afraid you are probably right, Julezwatts. . But look at the popularity of the Archer. People that have it love it (including me).

I really get tired of all the warbirds. Seems like everyone offers a P-51 or a corsair.
And let's not forget Horizon's undying love for cubs!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Quote:
And let's not forget Horizon's undying love for cubs!
LOL. More like an obsession.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
646 Posts
Stevens Aeromodel offers a good selection of Golden Age aircraft. They're laser cut balsa kits, but many of them are designed specifically for the Parkzone gear.

Rick
Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Stevens Aeromodel offers a good selection of Golden Age aircraft. They're laser cut balsa kits, but many of them are designed specifically for the Parkzone gear.

Rick
Thanks, nice link. I have several Golden Age kits but I seem to have lost the patience and desire to start building again after so many years.

I have these RC capable kits, still NIB.
Herr Engineering Ryan ST (actually free flight but easily converted to micro RC)
Flyline General Aristocrat ( built 2 of these and used .020 power and a Cannon Super Micro flight pack)
Flyline Balanca Skyrocket (same with this, but only built one)
Dumas Storch
Gillows Balanca Cruisemaster.

I also have a large collection of pure free flight kits (indoor and outdoor) still in the original packaging and about 50 or 60 plans for free flight models. I belonged to the Atlanta Thermal Thumbers for several years and flew many free flight contests with them. Great fun.

I was a prolific builder in my younger days. But my eyesight, my ability to do detailed work with my hands and my patience has long since left me. Getting old is not for sissies or the faint hearted

Electric foamies have allowed me to re-enter this great hobby.
Last edited by JWDen; Mar 31, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
646 Posts
I know what you mean. I built by balsa back in the day, but I love the foamies now. I also enjoy scratchbuilding using Dollar Tree foam core board. I've recently joined Stevens' builder's program, but I haven't haven't built one yet. I came so close to getting their Demoiselle, but I chickened out. It just looks so fragile, and I'm legally blind. I'm afraid I'll break it before I finish building it.

Rick
Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Apr 02, 2015, 08:20 AM
WOT and going nowhere
Joined Aug 2014
851 Posts
This isn't on your list, but the new PT-17 looks promising, even if it is only 1s.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
Joined Aug 2014
224 Posts
Quote:
This isn't on your list, but the new PT-17 looks promising, even if it is only 1s.
I'd love to take credit for Horizon coming out with the PT 17, but I know I can't.
I would have preferred another model but the PT -17 is fine.

Thank you Horizon. I have already preordered the new model. Now you need to pay attention to my suggestions!

P/S
I need to not post after 2 or 3 glasses of wine. You wouldn't believe how many times I had to correct my spelling!