Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Pitts 12 EPO 1600mm (63")

Hi folks

Is there a thread for the HobbyKing Pitts 12 EPO 1600mm?
Or should the "Banana Hobby 63" Pitts" thread be renamed "Starmax 63"/1600mm Pitts 12 EPO"...?

I've searched within RCG & googled but can't find any discussion on the HobbyKing plane... it could be just me

it is under HobbyKing's "new items" as well as listed in the "sports/aerobatics/3D

At first I thought it was the BananaHobby 63" Pitts, but under the item discussion on HobbyKing site, they say, when questioned on incorrect specs compared to BH, they quote: "HobbyKing_Admin(714)
Sorry, your information is wrong. Our description is correct.
They are not the same model."

But I noticed the HK version is Starmax, only because when I saved their pic, it is titled starmax lol and in the BH thread they've picked their plane as Starmax as well
The specs appear almost identical other than an entire 1000 grams difference in flight weight and slightly different decals
Also notice in the attached pics, both versions have the same dodgy servo arm extensions

HobbyKing version:
Specs:
Wingspan: 1600mm
Length: 1490mm
Flying Weight: 4500g
Servo: 9g x 4, 40g x 2
Motor: 5060 390kv Brushless Outrunner

Requires:
Your Own 6 Channel TX/RX
100A~120A ESC
UBEC
3700mAh~4500mAh 6s Lipoly Battery

BananaHobby version:
Specification:
Wingspan: 1600mm (63")
Length: 1490mm (59")

Flying Weight: 3500g (159 oz)
Drive System: 390KV Outrunner Brushless motor
ESC: 120A Brushless Speed Controller
Servo: 4* 9g and 2* 40g high speed servos
Battery: 22.2V 6S 3700mah 25C Li-Po

Anyhoo, i have subscribed to the BananaHobby Pitts thread for now...

and I have bought the hobbyking version...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,824 Posts
im hoping they wil get them to the USA warehouse .i like that its a kit .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Bilymac
Auburn, CA
Joined Feb 2009
223 Posts
Besides the blue decals on the BH version and no N tail number on the HK version.....?
Bilymac is offline Find More Posts by Bilymac
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilymac View Post
Besides the blue decals on the BH version and no N tail number on the HK version.....?
yeah, struck me as a bit of an oversight too
I actually think the BH decals are more pleasing to the eye... but HK was a tad cheaper, which was the only reason I went with HK... oh, and I had some credit points to spend too

that said... I placed/paid the order 20 Jan... 5 days later it still waiting in the warehouse printing queue...
no doubt Chinese New Year might be slowing thing a tad
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Bilymac
Auburn, CA
Joined Feb 2009
223 Posts
Please keep us updated on the build
Bilymac is offline Find More Posts by Bilymac
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilymac View Post
Please keep us updated on the build
sure thing
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by STATUS
STATUS TUNING
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
VERY important!! glue cowl ring on, 2nd flight the cowl ring dislodged at full power on take off and turned into confetti.. also add a a drop of epoxy to each stringer where it loops to the retainer springs, i lost a couple during some blenders and spins. The plane will hover easy on 6s (4000mah) and has pull out, not heaps but enough. CG wise i flew it @ 145mm to start then settled back around 155mm. It has a fair bit of coupling to the gear in KE but no worse than most. I also ended up dialling in a bit of brake to the dlux ESC as it did not slow down quick enough for my liking.
STATUS is offline Find More Posts by STATUS
Last edited by STATUS; Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS View Post
VERY important!! glue cowl ring on, 2nd flight the cowl ring dislodged at full power on take off and turned into confetti.. also add a a drop of epoxy to each stringer where it loops to the retainer springs, i lost a couple during some blenders and spins. The plane will hover easy on 6s (4000mah) and has pull out, not heaps but enough. CG wise i flew it @ 145mm to start then settled back around 155mm. It has a fair bit of coupling to the gear in KE but no worse than most. I also ended up dialling in a bit of brake to the dlux ESC as it did not slow down quick enough for my liking.
ahah! someone has been flying one of these birds!

how long have you had your HK Pitts, and how many flights have you had on yours?
can you give us intrepid pilots a quick review please?
flight characteristics?
Are the electrics (motor/esc/servos) reliable?
are there significant weaknesses to mention? landing gear significant enough?

would additional rare earth magnets be sufficient to keep the cowl in place? or better to have some kind of mechanical attatchment? i'd rather not glue mine in place if i can avoid it

I remember hearing the motor stall on throttling up (probably rapid throttle increase) on one of the vids in the Banana Hobby Pitts thread- have you had any motor/esc/esc timing issues?

flight times out of your 4000mah batts?

i am most definately not of 3D pilot status flying little more than the basic-ish aerobatics, but i love bipes, and i'm sooo looking forward to flying this bird

ooops, sorry for the questionaire, but i'd love to get a decent head's up before mine arrives

thanks for posting!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
STATUS TUNING
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
ahah! someone has been flying one of these birds!

how long have you had your HK Pitts, and how many flights have you had on yours?
can you give us intrepid pilots a quick review please?
flight characteristics?
Are the electrics (motor/esc/servos) reliable?
are there significant weaknesses to mention? landing gear significant enough?

would additional rare earth magnets be sufficient to keep the cowl in place? or better to have some kind of mechanical attatchment? i'd rather not glue mine in place if i can avoid it

I remember hearing the motor stall on throttling up (probably rapid throttle increase) on one of the vids in the Banana Hobby Pitts thread- have you had any motor/esc/esc timing issues?

i am most definately not of 3D pilot status flying little more than the basic-ish aerobatics, but i love bipes, and i'm sooo looking forward to flying this bird

ooops, sorry for the questionaire, but i'd love to get a decent head's up before mine arrives

thanks for posting!
I only have about 6 flights on mine ATM, the original was on 5s 4000mah and it still flew ok but i just putted around to make sure a wing didnt tear off :P subsequent flights were on 6s 4000mah

Its a nice flying plane for a foamie, its a little clumsy and you can definately feel the weight. With the cg back it does great flat spins and blenders, it does however stay locked in longer than my other biplane models (sebart miss wind)so give it extra time to pull out.

I think the clumsiness could be dialed out with better linkages on the ailerons, i found mine had a few mm freeplay as the holes in the servo horn were too big. Rolls are fairly quick (about 1/3 of the sebarts) and needed more rudder elevator input to be axial than im used to but nothing drastic.

it handles wind no problem i was flying it yesterday in about 20-30kmh wind in dandenong (got bit of a scare when the roulettes flew over the field).

Im running a DLUX (hobbyking) esc usually a CC user but ive had a few catch fire lately so i figured i chance the HK, with the big 3 blade prop i found it windmilled a bit too much so ive slowed it down with the esc brake, makes downlines and landing more manageable.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16367

Nice plane, just a bit dark the cowl is destroyed and there is no spare parts... im sure the cowls are gonna be a must have spare part for first time fliers.

a few more magnets would have fixed the issue.

OOH lastly i noticed doing high speed flyby's is that the canopy is open 1/4 inch and held down only by the after though rubber band catch, the airframe needs air exit holes so i will work that out over the next few nights.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
STATUS TUNING
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
timer set @ 6mins put 2600mah back in to the 4000mah last night.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
I only have about 6 flights on mine ATM, the original was on 5s 4000mah and it still flew ok but i just putted around to make sure a wing didnt tear off :P subsequent flights were on 6s 4000mah

Its a nice flying plane for a foamie, its a little clumsy and you can definately feel the weight. With the cg back it does great flat spins and blenders, it does however stay locked in longer than my other biplane models (sebart miss wind)so give it extra time to pull out.

I think the clumsiness could be dialed out with better linkages on the ailerons, i found mine had a few mm freeplay as the holes in the servo horn were too big. Rolls are fairly quick (about 1/3 of the sebarts) and needed more rudder elevator input to be axial than im used to but nothing drastic.

it handles wind no problem i was flying it yesterday in about 20-30kmh wind in dandenong (got bit of a scare when the roulettes flew over the field).

Im running a DLUX (hobbyking) esc usually a CC user but ive had a few catch fire lately so i figured i chance the HK, with the big 3 blade prop i found it windmilled a bit too much so ive slowed it down with the esc brake, makes downlines and landing more manageable.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16367

Nice plane, just a bit dark the cowl is destroyed and there is no spare parts... im sure the cowls are gonna be a must have spare part for first time fliers.

a few more magnets would have fixed the issue.

OOH lastly i noticed doing high speed flyby's is that the canopy is open 1/4 inch and held down only by the after though rubber band catch, the airframe needs air exit holes so i will work that out over the next few nights.
thanks mate, very much appreciated

you've had CC esc's go up on you? if you cant trust CC, what else is there! it'll be interesting to see how the HK DLUX goes

i'll definately be coming up with a decent retention for the cowl... surprised (or should i be, really) there are no spares, let's hope they'll be available eventually- surely they cant intend to sell a larger scale aerobatics... and no spares...

I have canopy latches i'll install for the canopy, and will make some vents back there somewhere on the fuse

I have a couple 6S 4000 and 5800's- do you reckon she'd handle the weight of the 5800's, without aerobatics?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
STATUS TUNING
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
thanks mate, very much appreciated

you've had CC esc's go up on you? if you cant trust CC, what else is there! it'll be interesting to see how the HK DLUX goes

i'll definately be coming up with a decent retention for the cowl... surprised (or should i be, really) there are no spares, let's hope they'll be available eventually- surely they cant intend to sell a larger scale aerobatics... and no spares...

I have canopy latches i'll install for the canopy, and will make some vents back there somewhere on the fuse

I have a couple 6S 4000 and 5800's- do you reckon she'd handle the weight of the 5800's, without aerobatics?
i flew it on the weekend with 5000mah 6s and it flew fine for normal aero's etc..

if anyone wants one in victoria australia let me know i will part with it for $200 with the esc, ready to fly. Need room for a few more planes.
Last edited by STATUS; Jan 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
i flew it on the weekend with 5000mah 6s and it flew fine for normal aero's etc..

if anyone wants one in victoria australia let me know i will part with it for $200 with the esc, ready to fly. Need room for a few more planes.
aawwwww man, that cuts lol
Victoria is just a tad too far...

thanks for letting us know on the battery size, guess i'll have a little of both worlds with my batts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:05 AM
STATUS TUNING
Joined Dec 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
aawwwww man, that cuts lol
Victoria is just a tad too far...

thanks for letting us know on the battery size, guess i'll have a little of both worlds with my batts
had no choice i have been waiting for this:

and

if spares were readily available or a bare airframe i would order another pitts to keep as spares but tbh i like it to much to put it in..... and im starting to wring its neck a bit to much.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2010
3,163 Posts
Quote:
had no choice i have been waiting for this:

if spares were readily available or a bare airframe i would order another pitts to keep as spares but tbh i like it to much to put it in..... and im starting to wring its neck a bit to much.

this is a nice lil puppy i must admit
I'm not a 3D pilot, and TBH i'm not particularly interested in it either (whilst I have the greatest admiration for those that do fly 3D), but it is good to know you are parting with your Pitts for the right reasons, from my perspective