New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by Paradise MT
United States, Mt, Belgrade
Joined Feb 2010
568 Posts
Forgetter

To my friends here on the Montana ALES forum,
When Rod rescheduled our first ALES for this weekend, I totally spaced out the fact that in my corner of the world, Easter weekend is quite full for me, so I will be missing tomorrow's first event. My apologies for indicating that I planned on being there, when in reality it won't happen. Would someone give it their best effort to give Curtis and little Jon some competition please?
A blessed and happy Easter to all,
Arlen
Paradise MT is offline Find More Posts by Paradise MT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2015, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
568 Posts
Results

Hey guys,
Any weekend ALES results you can post from last Saturday?
Blessings,
Arlen
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
I've been busy but here you go:
http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES%20Co...ES%202015.html

It was overcast and cold, right around freezing. There were snow showers in all quadrants over the mountains but we never saw a flake! The wind started to blow out of the north and it got really cold and I was thinking we might not get the whole contest in. The forecast had been for East to South and finally West winds as the day went on. Well that's exactly what happened. We barely saw the sun but the lift was great! Making flight times were easy.

Jon Garber made all his flight time but one, perhaps he landed early as he won the round. The other top two pilots made all their flight times. He's the landing master with five 50's and one 45. He was seven points off perfect. Any guess who won?

Notable accomplishments. George Decker flew his scratch build woodie that Jon designed and he flew three nearly perfect rounds. He even beat me with one of them! It was a great performance by him. He was all smiles too!

Any volunteers for CD in April, or any other month besides May and August for that matter?

I believe Billings contest this Saturday in Columbus is the next event.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:51 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
We went and did some wonderful flying this evening in Helena Montana.

I looked around and noticed that not only were all the models that were there were 3+ meter but that they were all scratch built! Very impressive folks.

Enjoy the photos.
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2015, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,496 Posts
I can't believe Jim got his bird in the air yesterday

I stopped by on a whim yesterday morning, while killing some time and it was still in pieces. Very Beautiful pieces, but still a lot of work left to go. He said it would fly that day and he was right. Great Job Jim!!!

That is one impressive group of planes. One impressive group of people! Great job to ALL of you guys!

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Pi squared
For the sake of Flight
United States, MT, Helena
Joined Nov 2013
295 Posts
Flying!!!!!!

Had some fun out at Wayne's tonight, it was a little windy but it was still a blast!
Pi squared is offline Find More Posts by Pi squared
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:15 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
Timer Responsibilities

Well the season is getting started off nicely and I wanted to revisit the duties of a good timer. Personally, I think this is a much harder job than being the pilot. It's also of utmost importance to the pilot so he/she may do their best with the given task. A good timer makes a big difference in finding lift, staying out of sink, being the eyes/ears of what the other pilots/planes are doing and their cadence on the countdown to the last second helps immensely to max the time and landing.

The timer should always know where their pilots plane is and also where each and every other plane is in the sky in relation to them. This should all be reported to the pilot so that they know their escape route if and when they need assistance in getting out of down air and finding lift. Knowing where other models are in the sky and if they are going up, or are in sink or just barely maintaining altitude makes it an easier decision to make where to escape to when it becomes time to move on. If this information isn't known real time beforehand than the escape direction is much more difficult. In other words when the model starts heading down quickly there is a scramble then to know where to go. So the timer needs to keep the pilot informed about what the atmosphere is doing around the entire sky and that knowledge is gained by watching other models and reporting that info to the pilot. I'll go as far as to say that if you need to escape don't go North but go East as they aren't doing as well up North. Then when the pilot decides to move it's an easy decision.

Keeping the pilot informed every minute or two during the first half of the task is helpful and certainly during the last half of the task. In the last two minutes of the task and especially in the last minute, missing a call out of the time really messes up the timing and cadence of the pilot trying to get aligned up with the tape, avoiding other airplanes in the landing zone and getting to the tape on the exact time.

I've messed up my share of timing and will again, right Ken? It really is an important part of helping your competitor/pilot do their best with their flight.

Just a brainstorming message this morning thinking about how we can all improve the flying of these wonderful scratch built models we have.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
568 Posts
No Respect

To my ALES friends,
I was once again reminded today that death has no respect for anyone's schedule. I am saddened to say that I will not be able to make the April ALES event on the 25th due to the passing of a dear friend who, after several years of battling cancer, was promoted to glory early this morning. Her family will be having her Memorial Service this coming Saturday the 25th in Bozeman, and I really need to be there.

A death in my own family prevented me from attending the March ALES event.......I'm hoping this is not going to be a trend.
Blessings,
Arlen
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:53 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
Your priorities are in the right place although you will be missed. Sorry about your friend.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:20 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
Contest this Saturday is looking good for weather.
Dean Musgjerd is the CD.
Please contact him for any questions.

I may not be there as I'm on call but so far no planned work that will keep me from attending. Fingers crossed.

Contact info and details are here:
http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2015, 01:53 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
The contest was weathered out and has been rescheduled for  May 2nd, 2015
at Wayne's Farm East of Helena, MT

Contest Director is Dean Musgjerd 438-5156

Pilot's Meeting is 9:30 am

PS I will not be in attendance.
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
318 Posts
Curtis
What are the v-tailed planes in your picture above?

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:54 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
Curtis
What are the v-tailed planes in your picture above?

Mark
Mark,
The two on the left are Rod's and mine Supra's followed by Jim Loughran's newest hollow molded Supra but it's got a different planform. It flies very well from what I'm told but have never flown it myself. Then the next four are Jim Loughran's previous hollow molded creation. I can't recall if these are Supra airfoils or not somehow I don't believe so. Perhaps Jim will chime in here. They all fly very nicely. I don't believe they have named them but they are the second in Jim's designs. The first was BAG for Big Ass Glider so perhaps this is BAG2.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Surf's up!!
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,496 Posts
Yesterday's attempted contest

Robbie and I got there late, but he was still able to take some great shots

Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Old May 01, 2015, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by hawkesail
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Helena ALES contest

Looks like the wind will blow us out before noon tomorrow so I am cancelling the contest schedule tomorrow May 2. No reschedule.

Some people will be going out to Wayne's in the morning for a little practice flying , but not a contest.

Billings (Columbus) is scheduled for next Saturday. Bob B. suggested taking the far west exit to the frontage road as there is a lot of new construction going on.

Dean
hawkesail is offline Find More Posts by hawkesail