HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:00 AM
Find More Posts by RcPro97
Joined Nov 2014
231 Posts
Discussion
Dirt cheap sloper options. First time sloper

Hi everyone. I'm wanting to get into sloping. I have some hills that not too far that my rc club slopes from. One of the biggest appeals for me is that I should be able to do it for almost free. And and not have to worry about the massive cost some of the powered flyers have. I also love the idea of being able to fly for ages, without the need for power. And lightweight planes means less damage

Here's a few ideas I have about how to to it.

Assasin 37" wing. This one was given to me in bad shape. Probably should be the end of it's life. Don't have any electronics. But I was thinking glue it back together, throw in some servos and have a sloper for the price of two 9grams and a receiver. Great thing about this is I would not care if it was destroyed, or got lost forever. It would be the preferred rig because it would be very easy to get going.

Flite test versa, or might mini wing. Could always go to the craft store, buy some foam and make myself a versa wing or mighty mini.

I also have a old super cub wing. I could use a carbon spar as a fuselage and some scrap foam as a horozontal/vert stabiliser.

Bixler. This would be least preferred because It's my main aircraft. However it's been sitting with a dead ESC for awhile now untill I get round to fixing. I dont particularly like the idea of using it for this. But I could If I don't have anything else.

What do you think about the idea of a total noob trying to slope without a motor, and without any knowledge of sloping. I'm going to scope it out tomorrow as to where to fly, but I think it's reasonably easy to rescue aircraft if they go down there. I would say I am intermediate at flying. By no means a expert, but not a total beginner either.

Thanks
RcPro97 is offline Find More Posts by RcPro97
Last edited by RcPro97; Feb 09, 2016 at 01:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by The Flyin Beardo
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Sep 2015
74 Posts
i was just where you were a few months ago...you will love slope soaring and wondered why you waited so long to try it...if you've got some rc guys who already slope soar see if you can get one of them to go with you cause its always better with more people...but if not, flying alone is still fun because you get the sky all to yourself and dont have to share

if you've got the assasin id say glue and cover it with 5mil laminate film if you've got it and it will last a long time...ive just covered my first epp wing with it and WOW its strong.

otherwise making the FT versa wing is an awesome idea to do for sure... ive made 3 of them for the slope and 2 of them have been crashed several times and nose dived into the hill very hard and are still flying great...there is some pictures below of them...the blunt nose has a slower roll rate so i added a motor to it but still fly it on the slope...by the way the FT wings like to be flown in 10-40mph winds.. i fly mine with just a 1300 3s in the nose for power supply and weight along with a few pieces of lead wheel weights wrapped in foam and glued in the tip of nose to get the CG right....last weekend i flew for 5 hrs off of one battery and still had plenty of juice to fly an electric plane.

also in my opinion the wings are the best for learning to slope soar with because if you crash there isnt alot that can break besides a servo...on a regular plane if you crash you have to worry about breaking the fuselage in half or wing, or tail, or rudder....so $2 worth of DTFB is worth the learning curve.
The Flyin Beardo is online now Find More Posts by The Flyin Beardo
Last edited by The Flyin Beardo; Feb 09, 2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
8,049 Posts
With sloping the airfoil is everything, start off with a proper design for success.

Check this one out.....................

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...13943164,d.cGc
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM
Joined Nov 2014
231 Posts
Looks awesome. I've started my Ft versa build I've ordered another receiver an a bunch of servos, also got some batteries that need to be shipped by boat, so it's going to be a longtime considering that it already takes 3 weeks for most things to get to me by air.

As for my assassin rebuild I found some servos with broken teeth on the main gear. So I turned the pot inside by 180 and cutoff the end stop. Super dodgy but getting a replacement gear set was going to take me 3 weeks. I used a dead ESC as a bec. And I pumped the massive crack through the middle of the wing with glue and taped it. I should really look at giving it a nose job but I kinda like the idea of building something this terrible . My versa wing is going to replace it soon so I cant put the effort in.

Here's a picture of the assasin, or what's left of it. tried chucking it off the hill and it flew well sorta. However had to give it a tonne of up elevator to keep it airborne, eventually I just would run out of airspeed. I suspect I haven't got the cg quite right. Might take it to a feild on a calm day chuck it and see what it does.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by The Flyin Beardo
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Sep 2015
74 Posts
wow...that is pretty beat up...it looks like you would be better off cutting out the center section and replacing it with a new chunk of foam...lol... most wings need some up elevator from the beginning so make sure you have it trimmed in first... CG is very important so id look it up and find out what its supposed to be for that wing and see if you've got it right...you can just toss it in your yard and it should glide for at least 10-20ft smoothly before landing to see if you get it right, or if you need to trim it more.

its good to hear your trying out the versa wing as you wont be dissapointed with it...i would at least install the servos on top like i did on my "red" wing so they are easier to replace compared to the FT design where they want them inside the wing with just the arm exposed... i just had to replace a servo cause i was combat fighting with another FT versa and was so glad i had it on top so i didnt have to cut up my plane i just had to cut my hot glue and pull it out.
The Flyin Beardo is online now Find More Posts by The Flyin Beardo
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by BDOG1
Held by Grace
Upstate New York
Joined Apr 2006
302 Posts
RC - I would echo what has been suggested :
When I started sloping I built my own gliders, Fanfold wings, kf step types ect.
I had very limited success ,some days I would get a extended flight a lot of the time just a lot of trips up and down the hill.
Problem is just because you have wind in your face doesn't mean there is lift on the hill you are on for your glider to fly, not all hills produce good lift .
With no one else flying you have no one else to judge or receive advice
from.
If you hook up with others that are already soaring/sloping you can avoid a lot of wasted time and effort ,you might find one of them has a beater that needs a little TLC for little or nothing.

Maybe there isn't anyone in your area [there wasn't for me]
If you start with a design that you know fly's well , you can ask for advice on cg or servos or weight and people who all ready have experience with it can help you.
Good Luck and stay with it ,You will not be sorry- slope soaring is awesome !
BDOG1 is offline Find More Posts by BDOG1
Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2014
231 Posts
Yea, there's a few people who slope in my area. I found this video of the same hills

Fast Dynamic Soaring in Christchurch NZ (14 min 48 sec)

The wind hasn't been going the right way recently to fly off that side of the hill. I've been looking but cant work out how to get to the same spot anyway. I might post on some local forums and know if anyone can give me what times they fly. So I can go along and watch.
Maby the guy at the LHS knows. I notice he has what looks like his personal models tied to the ceiling of his store. Some of them look like slopers..