Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
1,059 Posts
Alert
Buddy RC: Won't Replace Defective Battery…60 Day Warranty. Resolved :)

I thought I'd just share my recent experience with Buddy RC as a warning to others out there regarding their warranty and quality control. My buddies and I have been buying their Glacier Batteries for a few years now, and the last batch had a dud. We've been extolling the virtues of these batteries both on the RCG forums and at several of our local flying fields, but I can not; with good conscience, endorse them anymore.

The new and unopened battery was one out of a set of 5 and its voltage was checked for storage after a couple months which was spot on. But work prevented me from flying for another few weeks and I discovered that it would only charge up to 60% of it's capacity by then. After contacting support, I found that their warranty is for 60 Days, not 90 as with some other companies and they refuse to stand by their product as you will see in their email to me below.

Yes, they claim it's my fault for not charging the battery as soon as it arrived and I thought a healthy storage voltage read would suffice. However, Lithium Polymer Batteries start to degrade in performance as they are cycled unlike Nimh/other chemistry batteries so I tend not to charge them until it's time for use. To date, I've had batteries from about 6 other reputable manufactures which were charged well after the 90 day period and held close to the expected capacity. I've also had other companies honor unopened past warranty items if there was a clear defect as with this case in which both my chargers and battery checkers give me alerts for tell tale aging signs. After some further research, it would appear that this battery may have been used, but sold as new since there were some signs of wear on the casing which I assumed at the time; were just from it being jostled around in the packaging. So if you're planning to stock up on Lipo batteries during the next sale, please charge and use them right away and remember you have 60 days, not 90.

-8th

Suport response from Buddy RC:

Hello ---------,

Our warranty on the batteries is 60 days, we are now at 90 days.

Our batteries are checked by the warehouse prior to shipping. I am unable to provide a warranty so far out. What I can do is offer you 10% off since we just had a show and the discount is still available until the 15th of the month.

The code is __________ and is good until the 15th of this month.

Sorry I can't do more. Always check batteries upon arrival rather than letting them sit around so long.
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Last edited by 8thelephant; Dec 13, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2015, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
1,900 Posts
That's better than Hobby People's warranty, which expires as soon as you walk out the door. Found out the hard way in a similar situation you describe, 3S battery sat for 3 weeks at storage charge (checked when I got home), took it out to use it and it was puffed badly, HP said wouldn't replace, so now, if I need a battery bad enough, I have them check it at the store before I leave - balance, charge, store.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2015, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Why didn't they run? A pass???
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,369 Posts
its not unreasonable for them to expect customers to test out their packs within the warranty period.

I know when I buy packs, they get charged and cycled rather quickly. If I get a dud, I know within the first couple of days.

Their warranty is 60 days. In what way are they at fault that would cause you to post something negative about them?

Regardless of your reasons for not testing out a new pack within a reasonable amount of time, you should chalk this one up to a teachable moment and just operate within their warranty period next time, versus posting things such as your speculation that the pack may have been a used battery, based on scuffing of the wrapper.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 12, 2015, 08:02 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
1,059 Posts
Warjet1950: Thanks for the info on HobbyPeople. I've been lucky thus far with their batteries, but have encountered warranty issues on other parts with them before. I tend to avoid certain employees at times who seem to provide less informed recommendations than one would hope.

cryhavoc38: You have no right to tell me what I can and can't post as this is based purely on the facts of what had happened to me and you have not seen the condition of the battery in person. To be clear, the cell packs themselves had little dents in them which are behind the scuffing on the casing. I've ordered many Glacier batteries of varying capacities and cell counts and none of which looked as bad as the one in question. I gave BuddyRC the benefit of the doubt with this one based on previous performance hoping that their quality control would keep up to standard.

What is upsetting is that they reassured me each battery is checked prior to being shipped out, and this one was clearly missed as all of my chargers presented errors from the first attempts at charging it. I work very hard to be in this hobby and support other vendors too, but I also replace unused parts for my own customers if I know a defect wasn't caused by them even if the part is out of the 90 day warranty.

As stated earlier, I did check the pack & cell voltages soon after receiving it which all looked correct. Thus there should be no reason to suspect it would be unlike any of the others. Furthermore, I've been using Lithium Polymer batteries since their arrival to the hobby world and have always been extremely careful with charging, handling, and storage. Not a single one has ever caught on fire or followed an unreasonably rapid degradation for their age and chemistry.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 05:56 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
1,059 Posts
Resolution!

Folks, I'm happy to report that BuddyRC did stand by their product in the end. A few weeks after this post, I was contacted by a different person from the support team who provided me with an RMA and instructions for sending the defective battery back. After receipt, BuddyRC was kind enough to inform me that the replacement would be delayed as they were waiting for new stock to arrive. That replacement arrived a couple weeks after the update and it was charged and tested immediately. It works great, and I'll be getting (and charging right away) more Glaciers soon. BuddyRC just got this customer back

-8th
Old Dec 13, 2015, 09:32 AM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
7,513 Posts
Cool ... good to hear how it turned out. I have been in the same boat as well but from another vendor. Sometimes we buy something and for whatever reason we don't use it dead away. Two months later we find we bought something defective.

As for testing each pack as it leaves the shop ... I have never believed that statement from any vendor. They operate on too much of a shoestring to pay the extra time it takes for them to properly test charge and discharge a pack. I consider it total crap when a vendor tells me they have tested each pack. Maybe the factory did ... and only at a minimal then. But a lot can happen between the factory and the users front door.

Would be interested in knowing how the Glaciers perform. I have been look for a different brand of battery to use.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by Gmount
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2013
21 Posts
Hello to all ,This is Gary from BuddyRC, I want everyone to know that customer service is and will always be #1 with us here at BuddyRC. As the Customer Service Mgr. it is not only my job but is is my passion for this hobby and the customers that buy products from us to treat them with respect and be fair a possible. All I can ask is please cycle the batteries when you get them because if there is a problem we can take care of it ASAP. This is due to the manufacture has given us a time line when we can send the batteries back to them.Please if there is any problem with our products or even us let me know I will gladly look into it and take care of the issue and from all of us here at BuddyRC please have a safe holiday season and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
P.S. I did forget to mention that the warehouse on any battery over 3s opens the box and checks the voltage with a cell checker that is all
so when it is said they are checked it doesnt mean they are put on a charger. Sorry if there was any confusion on that.
Gmount is offline Find More Posts by Gmount
Last edited by Gmount; Dec 16, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 05:12 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
7,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmount View Post
Hello to all ,This is Gary from BuddyRC, I want everyone to know that customer service is and will always be #1 with us here at BuddyRC. As the Customer Service Mgr. it is not only my job but is is my passion for this hobby and the customers that buy products from us to treat them with respect and be fair a possible. All I can ask is please cycle the batteries when you get them because if there is a problem we can take care of it ASAP. This is due to the manufacture has given us a time line when we can send the batteries back to them.Please if there is any problem with our products or even us let me know I will gladly look into it and take care of the issue and from all of us here at BuddyRC please have a safe holiday season and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
P.S. I did forget to mention that the warehouse on any battery over 3s opens the box and checks the voltage with a cell checker that is all
so when it is said they are checked it doesnt mean they are put on a charger. Sorry if there was any confusion on that.
Thank you Gary; nice to hear from a vendor in such a positive fashion. Sometimes they get very defensive. And thanks for clearing up the 'battery check' that is sometimes done by vendors; I know that phrase can mean different things to many people and I suspect that most people assume the vendor has put the battery thru the paces. The most I think any of us can expect from the vendor is to check for voltage on all cells; that to me is reasonable.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member