Old Nov 03, 2015, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by GodsLt
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
Discussion
Started from the bottom...

Hey guys! Just a little success story here (and praise for the clones )

7+ years ago I ventured into this wonderful hobby flying a Blade CX2. On its first flight, my dad smacked it against a wall and broke it. Since we lived in a third world country, no spare parts could be acquired, so broken it lay for years.

Nevertheless, its short 3 minute flight burnt a desire in my heart for more.

Fast forward 7 years, I'm doing my Materials Engineering degree at UBC. My girlfriend can clearly tell that I like anything mechanical (I tear apart my airsoft guns periodically just for the heck of it!) so she decided to get me a cute birthday gift...a V911.

This was November 2014. I flew the snot out of the heli until I finally managed to mangle the 3-in-1 flying without a canopy.

Circa 2 months ago, I ordered 2 bnF V911's in order to get the original one flying. I flew the crap out of them for a week until I decided I had outgrown them. I wanted to fly outside, and due to he windy conditions here in Vancouver, it was impossible.

So off I went and purchased an HFP100FS (thats right, the rare version!) for 35$ from HobbyKing. Boy could it handle the outdoors. It taught me everything I needed to know about flybarless flight and above all, it was FAST.

I found a used Blade SR shortly after that, and devoted my time to get it flying properly (which I did, but I never attempted 3D as I did not trust the tail motor.)

Finally, slightly less than a month ago, I came across a deal on rccanada.ca for a lightly used Blade 300x package for 216$ shipped!

Naturally I snagged it up in a heart beat (I had been meaning to replace my Blade SR by then) and patiently waited for it.

The original seller was kind enough to include a myriad of spares, batteries and even a foam case. He did a preliminary setup on the beastX but advised my to fine tune it for my taste.

After days of reading through helifreak and rcgroups, I managed to muster up the courage required to maiden the thing.
Blade 300x Maiden Flight (1 min 54 sec)

50+ batteries later and I am now here:
Blade 300x 3D practice (3 min 34 sec)

Boy has it been fun! No crashes so far, but with winter just around the corner, I'm looking to futz around with a nanocpx or similar.
Oh, and I somehow managed to pick up a broken 130x on the way which I promptly fixed up and flew a couple days ago (before losing that pesky B gear in a small bump...)

Anyways, enjoy the video!

Note:
Someone kindly pointed out that I might've been flying a little to close to the family in the second picture. Just let it be said I had a spotter with me, and the family was 70ft away behind trees and park fixtures.
I usually fly when there's no one around, or at my university's campus. I learnt my lesson and will stay at least 150ft away from people
GodsLt is offline Find More Posts by GodsLt
Last edited by GodsLt; Nov 04, 2015 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2015, 01:45 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
Needless to say, with two months into this hobby, my hangar has quadrupled in size. My girlfriend now regrets getting me the "el cheapo" V911... hahahaha.

Family pic!
Old Nov 03, 2015, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by dadio
United Kingdom, Surrey
Joined Jan 2013
2,159 Posts
Its an addiction ,the first step is to accept you have a problem , I haven't got to the second step yet but I'll be sure and tell you when I do ......
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
Old Nov 03, 2015, 01:36 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
hahaha tell me about it...
For some reason, I just enjoy to fly them all. Even the V911, with it's relatively docile flying characteristics is a joy to fly in my basement. I'm constantly shopping for parts that might break/might need an upgrade. I'm also constantly on classifieds (rcgroups, helifreak, rccanada.ca). Most of my tabs are related to helicopters! hahaha.

Thankfully my girlfriend understands, plus she also finds the little v911 "cute". I'll surely be teaching her how to fly in the next couple days
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Mexico, Tamaulipas, Tampico
Joined Jun 2014
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLt View Post
hahaha tell me about it...
For some reason, I just enjoy to fly them all. Even the V911, with it's relatively docile flying characteristics is a joy to fly in my basement. I'm constantly shopping for parts that might break/might need an upgrade. I'm also constantly on classifieds (rcgroups, helifreak, rccanada.ca). Most of my tabs are related to helicopters! hahaha.

Thankfully my girlfriend understands, plus she also finds the little v911 "cute". I'll surely be teaching her how to fly in the next couple days
Congratulations on doing so well in your new/old hobby...welcome to the forum.... plenty of great flying ahead! Fine, fine fleet.....eeeerrrrrrr, you are going to need more space.......Great flying, just saw the video! Beautiful trees in background...
ChespiIker is offline Find More Posts by ChespiIker
Last edited by ChespiIker; Nov 03, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2015, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,561 Posts
Hard to beat a good flying heli. Many of mine are over 400 flights. A few are 500 flights. Not many planks o the distance. Yes possible but many don't.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 03, 2015, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by wizard_of_aus
Damn...sudden gust of gravity!
Australia, QLD, Bonogin
Joined Sep 2015
73 Posts
Thanks for sharing your journey, your skills are great considering the number of flights!

Heli's are like rabbits, they seem to multiply quickly....
wizard_of_aus is offline Find More Posts by wizard_of_aus
Old Nov 04, 2015, 12:58 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
Thanks for the support guys!
It has definitely helped to have a simulator to practice certain moves before moving them to the bigger birds. Although I must confess that even though my 300x is relatively 'high end', I buckled and purchased the 14$ sim pack from banggood. I upgraded RF to 7.5 (free) and Phoenix 5 to 5w (free again) and hooked up my devo 7e to my computer and voila! Full sim setup for 14$! haha.

I'll fix my 130x up again (lost the metal B gear again! So I'm waiting for a replacement from rotorquest ) and record a 3D video for you guys!

I can also record some videos of my HFP100FS for those who are interested in purchasing them.
Old Nov 04, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Feb 2015
726 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys!
It has definitely helped to have a simulator to practice certain moves before moving them to the bigger birds. Although I must confess that even though my 300x is relatively 'high end', I buckled and purchased the 14$ sim pack from banggood. I upgraded RF to 7.5 (free) and Phoenix 5 to 5w (free again) and hooked up my devo 7e to my computer and voila! Full sim setup for 14$! haha.

I'll fix my 130x up again (lost the metal B gear again! So I'm waiting for a replacement from rotorquest ) and record a 3D video for you guys!

I can also record some videos of my HFP100FS for those who are interested in purchasing them.
Great flying congrats, just curious how do you keep losing your B gear on the 130x? Is it when you're flying or fixing it. If it's when you're flying you might have too loose a gear mesh, might have to push the tail boom into the frame more.
3D Ambitions is offline Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
Old Nov 04, 2015, 03:12 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
Hey,
Thanks for the kind words!

I've lost the B gear on two separate crashes... One I lost power while inverted (hand't setup the timer yet) but I found it luckily.

The second time, I lost orientation while inverted and hit throttle hold. The B gear pulled out I think over grass, so I couldn't find it.

I'll try to check the bird over to see how much of the torque tube actually goes inside the B gear. It's my first torque tube bird, so I don't have all the know how for it yet
Old Nov 04, 2015, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
1,261 Posts
I have noticed little children in the background on your video. Have you not noticed them ? Seriously you need to stop flying that thing among people a specially little children. Do you actually realize how much harm you could do to them ? I do not like to see this kind of irresponsibility. I suggest you find other place to fly 300 size helicopter.
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Nov 04, 2015, 10:03 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
Hey jamix,

Thank you for your concern.

Yes, I had noticed the kids before I flew. At the time I felt 70ft away behind obstacles was safe enough (I know them, and they routinely stand behind me to watch me fly my HFP100 and Blade 130x). Regardless, I asked them and their parents for permission to fly and to stay on another part of the pack (behind trees/fixtures etc) in case anything would happen. If you can see most of the stunts are done 30 feet infront of me or 100ft above. Even on the high speed passes I was not overflying them, but around the park itself.

I agree, the space is tight for a 300x, but worry not, as it is not my dedicated flying space.
Old Nov 05, 2015, 03:52 AM
Find More Posts by jamichx
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Hey jamix,

Thank you for your concern.

Yes, I had noticed the kids before I flew. At the time I felt 70ft away behind obstacles was safe enough (I know them, and they routinely stand behind me to watch me fly my HFP100 and Blade 130x). Regardless, I asked them and their parents for permission to fly and to stay on another part of the pack (behind trees/fixtures etc) in case anything would happen. If you can see most of the stunts are done 30 feet infront of me or 100ft above. Even on the high speed passes I was not overflying them, but around the park itself.

I agree, the space is tight for a 300x, but worry not, as it is not my dedicated flying space.
Its not about weather you think its safe or not. I am telling you it is not safe. Seriously do not fly that heli there when people are around its not good.

Have you ever seen any video of very good 3d flyer who actually can fly that thing precisely doing their stunts around people like that ? Even those professionals have common sense and know what damage can heli of that size do. Even just a debris from crush can cause injury for child or adult. Just think about it try not to argue.
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Nov 05, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by elan
VT
Joined Feb 2006
3,323 Posts
Seriously you need to stop flying that thing among people a specially little children. Do you actually realize how much harm you could do to them ? I do not like to see this kind of irresponsibility.
-Agreed...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Nov 06, 2015, 04:09 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jul 2015
146 Posts
As pointed out above, I thought (key word here) that 70 ft + obstacles was enough. Clearly some members here thought it wasn't. Some had the decency to express it via PM or nicely posted on my thread, others like you made a huge stink on the thread.

It was a newbie mistake that has been taken care off. Starting out on this hobby I'm starting to come to terms with the dangers involved with flying helicopters. So again, thanks everyone for their input.

In regards to jamixch,
I thought 70ft was enough space. And I will defend that argument. All this sense of self servitude is really not appreciated. I'm just glad you never made any wrong judgment calls, clearly.