Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:40 AM
Find More Posts by jgg12002
United States, MA, Monson
Joined Jan 2008
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, John.

I see that you are using the apple Barrel paints. I love the stuff. I also found that Walmart has Folk Art brand metallic. I'm using layers of Sterling Silver and Gunmetal Gray. One drop of flat black added to 12-15 drops of gray dulls it just a bit while a drop of white added to the silver makes a very good analogue for aluminum. I decided to go with aluminum intake pipes because they were sold out of Antique copper but I can always change them later.

Cheers!
Hi Peterlngh
It's funny you mentioned the Folk Art silver metallic. I was experimenting with it on my guns last nite. You got a great effect on yours. I tried doing a plane with it but I didn't like the results.
Respectfully John
jgg12002 is offline Find More Posts by jgg12002
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2016, 05:46 AM
Joined Jan 2008
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
J, glad you didn't bail on the paint job. Your streaked finish look fantastic.

Larry
Thanks for the kind words Larry I got to the point of putting the red paint in my hand and I'm glad I didn't do it. On the flip side I'm I hope I can see it in the air!
Respectfully John
Old Jan 22, 2016, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,094 Posts
Nice job on the streaking - looks pretty good. That can be tricky but yours looks the part.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jan 22, 2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg12002 View Post
Hi Peterlngh
It's funny you mentioned the Folk Art silver metallic. I was experimenting with it on my guns last nite. You got a great effect on yours. I tried doing a plane with it but I didn't like the results.
Respectfully John
Thanks, John.

I was pleasantly surprised but it took some experimentation. For the brighter bits I used Glidden duo "King's Aluminum" as the base coat and flat black for the darker portions. Then I built up the metallic look with very thin coats, silver to brighten and gunmetal gray to darken, in some spots I mixed the two and finished with the metallic toned down with white or black, respectively. I must have been born lucky because it still looks like metal but the flat paint all but eliminates the sparkles. The downside is that now I really want to make a new set of guns that are a bit more true to scale.

For the paper barrel shrouds I applied a thin coat of the gray, thin enough I could sill see the dark marks for the slots, then darkened the "slots" with a sharpie and then dry brushed with flat back to cut down the sparkles followed by some touch up with the Sharpie. It was tedious but much, much, less frustrating than trying to cut them all out.

I don't think the silver would look good for a whole airplane but, if I ever get that Pfalz I've always dreamed of, I might use it to "metalize" the Glidden Duo to try and match the Silbergrau.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 23, 2016, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by MikeSawicki
Joined Mar 2009
567 Posts
That paint job looks amazing. Great job! The olive streaking is such a great look for this plane. So much better than all red.
MikeSawicki is offline Find More Posts by MikeSawicki
Old Jan 23, 2016, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Stephen M
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Apr 2001
350 Posts
Not to sound like a lot of me toos. But you really nailed the streaking.
Stephen M is offline Find More Posts by Stephen M
Old Jan 24, 2016, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
215 Posts
Thanks for all of the positive replys guys. I started assembling this weekend and it's starting to take shape. I noticed a lot of people looked at the pic of the paint bottles and I missed the brown used over the base coat. ( see pics) The wings plug in simple considering there's 3 of them but there is still some flexibility in adjusting the them per plan but certainly not difficult, a very cleaver design. I think it will come in under 24 OZ. final weight with a battery and I don't think she will need nose weight. ( that's a miracle for me)
More to come
Respectfully
John
Old Jan 26, 2016, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2008
215 Posts
I tried a new method on the markings, printing them on a laser printer with silkspan. They printed no problem and applied them with polycrilic. I tried dope but the toner ran.