HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:22 AM
Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
Discussion
Southern Cross Models (1/72 scale hulls)

I thought I would share a shameless plug for a TF72 Clubmates business !!

Tim produces detailed 1/72 scale hulls of a number of popular ship classes ranging from Royal Navy WWII cruisers such as the Kent and Dido classes to huge Battleships and Battlecruisers like Iowa class, North Carolina class and the Kirov class Soviet Nuke Battlecruiser.

He currently has 12 hulls available (ie a mold is ready to go) and is working on another 20 Plugs on variety of subjects. (See pdf catalog) with a heap more in the planning stages.

Tim Amos can be contacted via his website at www.southerncrossmodels.com.au

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Last edited by HeavyCruser9; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added some pix...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:59 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
PS: I forgot to mention Tim also does a custom set of rudders for his Iowa and North Carolina class BB hulls!!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,921 Posts
Nothing shameless about talking up a fellow modeler's products, Bruce. His stuff looks pretty good in the photos---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:44 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
He uses litho plate over the hull plug to replicate hull plating on the ships that feature noticeable plating lines. I have some more pics somewhere but can't find em.....grrrr
Old Jan 17, 2014, 04:59 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
Here are some pic's of his small Russian corvette hull....and the Commandant class Italian corvette too... both good small models for "chucking" in the back seat of the car for a quick sail.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Homeport
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Dec 2008
542 Posts
Bruce,
You posted a bad link to the web site.
http://www.southerncrossmodels.com.au
Homeport is offline Find More Posts by Homeport
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:07 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
Hmmm.....not sure what I stuffed up there!! Thanks mate for posting a functioning link!!

PS The Pic on sites home page with Tim in it show's His WWII HMAS Hobart ((an APS models semi kit)Light cruiser same class as the HMAS Perth that was sunk fighting alongside USS Houston ) and behind him is his USS North Carolina underconstruction
Old Jan 17, 2014, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,049 Posts
Now if he could just find a way to fold them up to fit in a small box...

"Freight to overseas customers will generally between one and two times the cost of the product/s ordered on top of the product price. Please note that freight charges do not include import duties, brokerage fees and taxes, these are the responsibility of the customer on receipt."
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by herrmill
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,811 Posts
Ummmm, battlecruisers!
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by Homeport
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Dec 2008
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Hmmm.....not sure what I stuffed up there!! Thanks mate for posting a functioning link!!

PS The Pic on sites home page with Tim in it show's His WWII HMAS Hobart ((an APS models semi kit)Light cruiser same class as the HMAS Perth that was sunk fighting alongside USS Houston ) and behind him is his USS North Carolina underconstruction
no worry, stuff happens
Homeport is offline Find More Posts by Homeport
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:47 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Now if he could just find a way to fold them up to fit in a small box...

"Freight to overseas customers will generally between one and two times the cost of the product/s ordered on top of the product price. Please note that freight charges do not include import duties, brokerage fees and taxes, these are the responsibility of the customer on receipt."
I think he may have got that wrong! I reckon it would depended on a number of factors.....Size of the shipping box for hull being primary factor in shipping costs ( I work as a courier) International freight is based on cubic volume.

So I would say freight would be between 25% to 50% of cost of hull. Some of the lads have saved on shipping from East coast of Oz to Perth on West coast by having the hull carefully cut in half. A Kirov hull was shipped this way !! Mind you a 1/72 Kittyhawk class CV hull is going to cost a shed load of $$ to ship!

Cheers Bruce
Old May 25, 2014, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by Deckie
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
498 Posts
Bruce, have you heard anything more about Southern Cross models and how they're doing?
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old May 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
I think Tim is slowly getting back up to speed at the moment, there was a note/advisement in the club magazine awhile back that he is still recovering from a back/spinal injury from last year... Tim has also been known to be hard to get in contact with sometimes!!

R you having trouble contacting him??

Bruce
Old May 29, 2014, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Deckie
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
498 Posts
Thanks mate.

Nah, just concerned, 1:72 scale hull manufacturers are almost as rare as hen's teeth as it is....
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old May 30, 2014, 05:40 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,556 Posts
We are lucky here in Oz we have both Allan Pews APS models (huge range) and Tim's growing range of hulls which doesn't duplicate Al's stuff.
plus Brian in Wagga (http://www.bjsbitsandpieces.com)has begun producing alot of resin fitting for USN ,Russian and WWII ships.
And getting stuff from places in the UK like Fleetscale and Scaleships is really helpful!!

And if you need something done by laser cutting (Superstructures) or3D printing my friend in the USA, Nelson at NELCADS (NelstoneB@aol.com)can knock it up for you given sufficient drawings and info. He already has a range of USN doors, davits and hatches 3D printed or resin and Laser cut Superstructure kits (SSK's) for California class CGNs, Farragut/Coontz class DDG's, plus some others...

Cheers Bruce
Last edited by HeavyCruser9; May 30, 2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: added stuff