Old Apr 22, 2015, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by sheriffjohn
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
285 Posts
what happened 2 years ago?

I used the 2 prong push rod that came with the kit. However, it was not long enough and had to make an extension to get to the servo. I didn't understand the instructions at first. it said to put straws (the ones that can bend) on the ends of the push rods. It took some bending and twisting to install the pushrod. The straws fit through the side openings, thus making the install a lot easier. If you don't use the straws, you run the risk of punching thru the covering! I thought it was a big help. Once I attached the pushrod to the elevators, I realized that it was short, so I added an extension.

in the photo, the elevator servo is on the left. You can see the extension! The middle servo is the pull-pull rudder servo. The instructions say to cross the wires so that the right servo arm attaches to the left side of the rudder. This crossing of wires is so that wires do not rub on the airframe.

SJ
sheriffjohn is offline Find More Posts by sheriffjohn
Last edited by sheriffjohn; Apr 22, 2015 at 01:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,790 Posts
This plane has been entreaging me now for a couple of years and I'm tempted to go for it while it's on sale through tomorrow @ $100 off.

Seeing as how most builds have needed 1 - 2 pounds of nose weight I'm thinking a RCGF 30 Twin or a DLE 40 Twin may be a good choice. I love the sound of a twin and the horizontally opposed twins tend to have much less vibration at idle shaking the airframe.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,790 Posts
WOW, $70 shipping! Now I remember why I never ordered a plane from them before. I'm going to have to think about this before pulling the trigger.
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by scubbyboo
United States, MI, White Lake Charter Township
Joined Aug 2014
50 Posts
When i bought mine shipping was 50 but the pri ce was 249 for total 300 so 189 plus the 70 thats 260 best deal u will get. If u order the guns pay a a.bit more and get the nice ones. Wish I did i went cheap. Mine still in the box but member at the club has his in the air looks great in the air. Not sure u need so much motor....not sure what he is flying his on it is a saito 4 stroke gas more than the plane needs but he also wanted the weight. It really is neat watching it fly over at 1/4 throttle. As far as shipping it is a large box. Go for it u'll like it
scubbyboo is offline Find More Posts by scubbyboo
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
285 Posts
Wow, activity on this thread!

I got mine last January at the AMA trade show in LA, so I didn't have to pay shipping. It's a small company, so I guess they don't get the shipping deals.

Guys at my field that have bi-planes, mostly from Balsa USA usually have to add about 2 lbs of weight. Can't remember right off, but I used about 1.4-1.8 lbs of weight. I put in a Zenoah 26cc mostly for the weight.

Here it is September and I still haven't flown it. It's my first gas engine airplane so I'm taking my time, plus, I don't work on it much. But I'm close, real close. Bench tested the motor then final assembly and motor testing on the plane. Seeing what vibrates apart before flying. Just finished tweaking the idle and noticed that my carbon fiber throttle control rod had a crack in it, so I must replace it. Also working on a throttle curve because i don't like the feel. Throttle up is too quick for the stroke on the transmitter. So this week or next I'll go out for some taxi runs, maybe the maiden.

It's a nice looking airplane. The cockpit is out of scale but the large size is good to get your hand in there to access the electronics. I'm not going to flatten out the surface sheen. I like it as is.

sj
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
285 Posts
My first flight. I'm glad its a boring video.

Only 2 flights. It took off at about 33 mph and cruised between 45-55 mph. Nice and stable. Heavy in the air, sink rate is high. I haven't pushed it at all, but it gives me the impression that it is hard to tip stall. It was fun to fly!

SJ

maiden flight. Maxford 1/5 scale Nieuport 28 (6 min 6 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by sbuchho345
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Aug 2014
21 Posts
First war bird AND first gasser:

I'm picking up the aircraft another member on this forum had for sale. Turns out were just down the road from each other. So seeing as I am new to a few things here I'm open to suggestions, recommendations. The plane has an RCGF 26cc gas. I've been flying my CZC cub for 2 years and am comfortable with that. I know this plane will handle differently so I'm asking for recommendations on handling characteristics and how to approach my maiden for this plane. Again I'm new to gas but have several friends in the club to coach and help me thru the learning curve. Any help is appreciated!
Scott
sbuchho345 is offline Find More Posts by sbuchho345
Old Feb 24, 2016, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by mike3976
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,910 Posts
Triple check C/G and carry some throttle on approach, bipes have a lot of drag, so don't get it too slow on final so it doesn't stall.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976