New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,714 Posts
Made a little more progress on the wing so I thought I would share. So far I have been pleased on how things have been turning out and I have been lucky that nothing really major has presented itself so far. I am hoping that the weather will cooperate and next week I hope to get some primer onto the fuselage. I don't like spraying primer or paint inside my house and the wind and cold has prevented me from doing this outside. That's alright, I am a patient person and a few good days will eventually come.

Here is a picture of where I am at on the wing. Not sure what I want to do on the spoiler. I will either match it to the stripe or maybe go with something contrasting. Decisions, decisions.... I have been laying out different options for the tail and stabilizer. I have some ideas but nothing set in stone yet. I like to take my time with this stuff so try to be patient. I like doing it so I am seldom in a hurry to finish these projects. Needless to say I have a long list of future projects.

Enjoy the picture,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by mdennis
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,164 Posts
Nice!
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Apr 29, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by hattend
King Salmon, Alaska
Joined Jul 2003
6 Posts
Wayne, my vote goes for gold on the spoiler. Make it go with the flow.

Great Job!

Don
hattend is offline Find More Posts by hattend
Old May 03, 2015, 07:36 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,714 Posts
I got the wing rods cut and fitted today and I was able to put some primer on the fuselage. I filled a couple of low spots and sanded a few obvious high spots but I am not going to make this fuselage look like a showroom model. I am planning to fly this sailplane so it will have some blemishes soon enough. I can live with a few imperfections.

I have tried a few options on the spoilers and I keep coming back to the same gold that is on the wing. Everything I tried just seemed to take something away, so gold it is. The tail pieces are up next. It is going to be rainy here over the next few days so outdoor painting is not an option. There is still plenty of things to do to keep busy with it. I took the attached picture while I was fitting the wing rods. Enjoy.

Wayne
Old May 04, 2015, 07:27 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,164 Posts
I finally got to maiden my recovered Sailaire and found that the 4 1/2" CG I read about somewhere is not anywhere near the right place for me. Luckily no damage was done. I kept adding more nose weight on subsequent flights and ended up putting all the weight in that I had available, (6 ounces total), which has moved the CG up to about 3 3/4". It still needed more, so I brought it home and have added more weight to get it to 3 1/2" back from the leading edge, (right on the front wire joiner), and I will let you know how it flys after I get it back out again. I tend to fly most of my planes a little tail heavy compared to plans. (Which I don't have for this plane)

Based on how it wanted to drop a wing and snap stall I checked the washout and found one wing was at 0 degrees and the other was actually at -1 degrees, (washin rather than washout), so I twisted the wing and re-shrank the covering. Both are now at 2 degrees of washout. (Just a guess based on past experience)

Does anyone have the original plans and building manual for this plane that they can post or email to me? It would be nice to know where the designer thought the CG was supposed to be.

Mark
Old May 04, 2015, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by skye8070
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis View Post
I finally got to maiden my recovered Sailaire and found that the 4 1/2" CG I read about somewhere is not anywhere near the right place for me. Luckily no damage was done. I kept adding more nose weight on subsequent flights and ended up putting all the weight in that I had available, (6 ounces total), which has moved the CG up to about 3 3/4". It still needed more, so I brought it home and have added more weight to get it to 3 1/2" back from the leading edge, (right on the front wire joiner), and I will let you know how it flys after I get it back out again. I tend to fly most of my planes a little tail heavy compared to plans. (Which I don't have for this plane)

Based on how it wanted to drop a wing and snap stall I checked the washout and found one wing was at 0 degrees and the other was actually at -1 degrees, (washin rather than washout), so I twisted the wing and re-shrank the covering. Both are now at 2 degrees of washout. (Just a guess based on past experience)

Does anyone have the original plans and building manual for this plane that they can post or email to me? It would be nice to know where the designer thought the CG was supposed to be.

Mark
I don't have mine in front of me but I balanced it on the front wing wire rod/joiner. I have flown it for a couple seasons now like that and it is fine. It's an easy check because you can loop some winch line or fishing line around the rod and hang the plane from there. Maybe more like pick it up briefly if you don't have an industrial crane around the house suitable for picking up heavy loads, LOL.

Sorry, didn't answer your question, but in case that's helpful....
Skye

ps - From my buddy Doc Bell who built one of these a couple years ago....

From an Original Craft-Air SailAire Instruction manual "Start with the CG in the center of the spar, 30% . The back edge of the spar is probably as far back as you would ever want it." ... "with ballast added the CG should be moved forward to about 25%."
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Last edited by skye8070; May 04, 2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added stuff from manual
Old May 04, 2015, 08:45 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,714 Posts
Mark, sounds like it was an exciting flight. I'm glad to hear you were able to recover your Sailaire without any damage. I cannot help you with plans but I am interested in what you find out with the recommended CG. In the event you get this information through a PM or other means would you please share it here?

Thanks,

Wayne

Ahhh, looks like Skye answered the question while I was typing. Thanks for the information Skye.
Old May 04, 2015, 08:52 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,164 Posts
Thanks for the help. I don't know where I got the 4 1/2" from, but it seemed reasonable based on the wing chord and other planes I have. I knew right away that it wasn't right when I made a slow turn and the inside wing just snapped over. I just kept the speed up from then on and landed, but had I been lower, it would have been ugly.

By trial and error I have ended up exactly where the designer planned for the CG to be. Nice how that worked out.

Thanks again for the help.
Old May 04, 2015, 09:03 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
677 Posts
2 years ago when I got a Sailaire and checked the CG I had exactly the same thought based on modern planes with carbon and Drela-era airfoils. ie there's no way the CG should be this far forward. Only the combined wisdom of some very experienced guys in my local club who have in some cases won the NATS with the plane did I realize my modern notions had no place on this design from 1976. It flies awesome once you get some experience with it. But it's the kind of plane that rewards lighting fast air reads and commitments to going to lift. Mine has very flimsy wing rods that allow the wings to flap all the way up a modern winch line. I get maybe a 300 ft launch off of equipment that allows me to get double that with a molded plane. It is what it is.
Old May 04, 2015, 09:30 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,164 Posts
The ballasted CG is interesting as well. We typically keep the CG the same no matter how much ballast we put in, but the designer is recommending moving the CG forward with the additional weight. My wing was built with ballast tubes that are ahead of the CG and I was thinking that they weren't usable, now it looks like they may be just where they are supposed to be.

This plane has a hole in the top of the fuselage just ahead of the forward wing joiner that holds a ballast box. I didn't take the opening out when I was recovering the plane, I just made a cover for it. The box weights 24 ounces and is filled with shot. The bottom is removable to change the weight.
Old May 04, 2015, 10:08 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
677 Posts
My plane didn't have provisions for ballast in the wing or with a box like that. Instead I have made a couple long steel 3/8" diameter rods with a hold drilled in them so they can be secured to the servo tray with a screw. The rods lay in the fuselage next to the push rods. With two of them I can either add about 15 oz or 30 oz which gets the plane up close to the 11 lb FAI/AMA limit for sailplanes in a contest. I only use the ballast when the wind is "howling" which somehow is always the case when I show up to a Nostalgia contest.