HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2014, 05:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2014
28 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King - Mini DLG Composite 1000mm

Hobby King - Mini DLG Composite 1000mm

HobbyKing Daily - Mini DLG (3 min 51 sec)

Looks like the Aus and US warehouses finally have these in stock while the international warehouse is still showing a negative value.

I've just put an order in, can't wait for it to arrive next week!

Ps. if there are any Aussies after one, I've uploaded a buddy code in the HobbyKing section.
JonZap is offline Find More Posts by JonZap
Last edited by JonZap; Apr 04, 2014 at 05:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2014, 12:11 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
Let us know how it is.

I'm on the cusp of getting the 950mm HK mini as my first then I see this one so waiting for build and flight reports to help me decide.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:16 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2014
28 Posts
It arrived today, I shall take a few pics later on.
JonZap is offline Find More Posts by JonZap
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:18 PM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,452 Posts
I've got one on the way as well. I figured I might as well give it a shot as I've destroyed two Mini DLG pods on launch

If it doesn't handle it, I'm going to say screw it and get a full carbon 1.5.
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:15 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
Yeah, I've read about the fragile pod on the previous version. The promo vid thus far wasn't clear to me how this part is designed...so hopefully better. The higher price tag of this one certainly have me considering a few more $ to get a much better 1.5m or the Binary 900.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:46 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
I'm in!! Saw it in stock at USA warehouse so snagged one. Also got a nano tech 300 mah that is supposed to measure 44*17*12 mm so hope it fits. It is more narrow than the 180 may so hope the fit is better with fuselage width.

My first DLG. Been eyeing them for years but scaled warbirds always got bought instead.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:48 PM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,452 Posts
Mine came in today. Looks like there's a little less room for the radio gear (even though the pod is longer), but I should be able to manage. I'm not sure I like how long the pod is overall though, feels like it might flex quite a bit on launch. Kinda worried...

Oh well. I'll clean off my workspace and get it put together. CYA is included but I'm going to use epoxy instead, on this one you have to glue in the horizontal stab and the launch peg.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:53 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
I like the longer pod as it seems the 950mm is short result in aft cg. Wonder why horizontal isn't screwed on like many other designs. Hope may be shows up without damage next week.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:14 AM
United States, TX, Argyle
Joined Jul 2008
13 Posts
Any progress on the build? I've got my finger on the trigger with this one..
stape is offline Find More Posts by stape
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:55 PM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stape View Post
Any progress on the build? I've got my finger on the trigger with this one..
I've been clearing my build space so I can work on it. I'm not sure where to cut to install the launch peg... ugh.

Hey, you're close to me, you should build it for me
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:08 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,237 Posts
The peg usually goes back towards the hinge line, in about 1/2 inch from the tip.
Google Oleg Validol & look at his build log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
I've been clearing my build space so I can work on it. I'm not sure where to cut to install the launch peg... ugh.

Hey, you're close to me, you should build it for me
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on this DLG. Let me know how you guys do with it...
cwilde is offline Find More Posts by cwilde
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:01 AM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,452 Posts
I found what I think is an acceptable location for the peg, and after what is most likely the world's ugliest use of epoxy, fiberglass and carbon fiber, the plane is sitting here waiting to cure. I already suck at building and I had to use about 5" of my table since the rest of it is covered with airplane and gun parts, so it won't be the prettiest but maybe it'll fly anyway.

I'm using a BEC so there was NO way I'd have been able to mount everything ahead of the servos because the fuse in this thing is tiiiight due to where they put the servos. I managed to take off the shrink wrap and squeeze it in behind the servos, running the connectors up front. I think I can make the battery/receiver fit up there... wish I had smaller receivers though, I'm using an uncased 6ch OrangeRX.

Hopefully I'll get to maiden it today. I might put a couple of stripes on the bottom later.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:20 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,737 Posts
MadMonkey,
I almost always uncase my Orange 6 Rx so hearing that is still big is disturbing. What lipo are you using? This is the lipo I'm using. Hopefully not too long but should be narrow enough. Is there space under the servos for the BEC?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Mine is arriving next Thursday... 8 days total isn't too bad.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:21 PM
LOWERRR!
Joined Sep 2006
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
MadMonkey,
I almost always uncase my Orange 6 Rx so hearing that is still big is disturbing. What lipo are you using? This is the lipo I'm using. Hopefully not too long but should be narrow enough. Is there space under the servos for the BEC?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Mine is arriving next Thursday... 8 days total isn't too bad.
It looks like it might fit, but barely... though you may be able to put the battery on the bottom and receiver on top (not sure that'll work either).

There's not even room (in mine anyway) to run a WIRE under the servos, much less the BEC... I would have if I could have. I put the BEC in the rear, behind the servos, then plugged in everything and put the RX in the nose with the pins facing the rear (I was able to tuck it under the servo mount), then put the battery on top of that. I actually had to pull out the elevator servo (I think...) to get the battery in.

Anyway!

I took it to the field today. Because of the job I did putting the peg in, it was significantly off balance laterally... that was painfully clear after a couple of test tosses. I'm going to sand off as much excess epoxy as I can after it completely hardens, but for now I just CA'd a penny to the other wingtip to get it close

The good news....

I made about 10-15 throws in between other helis and planes flying, and it looks like once it's balanced it'll be a great flier. I managed to pick up a couple of light thermals and it looks like it was doing very well, definitely floaty but needs some tuning. I had to put in a lot of right rudder trim to launch straight so I'm looking forward to getting the balance right.

All in all, I think I'll be happy with it once it's tuned. By that time I'll have probably ripped the peg out...