HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2001, 07:53 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Question
Silver Japanese Tissue

Does anyone know where I can purchase some silver tissue I need it to cover the wing and stab on my 24" Corben Super Ace. I have the black and yellow, but can't seem to find any silver. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Dec 03, 2001 at 08:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2001, 10:41 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hi Tom,

Have you tried Penn Valley Hobbies? I don't know if they have it...if they don't they prob. know where to get it.

Regards,

Jeff
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Dec 02, 2001, 10:56 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Jeff, that is where I bought the kit from, and they have every color, except silver. The search continues. By the way, I love my Kool Charge. Got it from Radical RC at the NEAT Fair. Works really well. Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree.
Old Dec 02, 2001, 11:11 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...inSilkLight_01
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Dec 02, 2001, 12:02 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Sig doesn't have it either. Jerry, If you have a # for JCI could you post it. If not, and I can't find any, I will e-mail you. Tom
Old Dec 02, 2001, 04:46 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
Tom

I am not aware of any regular supplier of silver Jap tissue. The best way for me is to use white tissue and cover the area then put a couple of coats of thin dope and then airbrush either silver dope (aerogloss or sig) or aluminum or silver polyscale acrlyic paint. Or spray lightly with silver or aluminum rustoleum.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Dec 02, 2001, 09:07 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
I am trying to avoid any kind of paint. The airframe only covered weight of this model needs to be no more than 1.25 ounces, max, to fly with the Astro Firefly motor.Colored tissue is the way to go, but no one seems to have it. How do all the guys who build a model of the Spirit of St. Louis cover their rubber powered models. tom
Last edited by Tom Smith; Dec 03, 2001 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2001, 09:06 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
Tom

Colored tissue is great, but no one currently makes a decent and light jap tissue in silver or aluminum. As I said before, most free flight scalers fog a light coat of silver or aluminum acrylic or dope on the tissue--it hardly adds any weight at all. If you try to make it opaque, then the weight will build up fast. A lot of folks use the Krylon or Rustoleum silver fogged on with only a couple of grams or so of weight build up.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Dec 03, 2001, 09:31 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Thanks Pat, it looks like I will have to give it a try. Tom
Old Dec 03, 2001, 10:30 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Tom

You could try contacting Joe Wagner at smallnet for his archive CD. Smallnet's website is www.eskimo.com/~smallnet somewhere in that archive is JCI's contact info (I remember seeing it- don't remember which posting) and they do make a nice silver tissue- I'm still hoarding some.

Another alternative is raiding some of the older Guillow's or Herr kits for the domestic stuff- it's a bit heavier, but when you dope it doesn't look too bad. I have a Herr Cessna 180 where I used this tissue. If you're desperate, I can scour some of my old supplies to see if I have some.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 03, 2001, 11:22 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
I, too have a few precious sheets hoarded. I'll go count them. It'll take a day.
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Dec 03, 2001, 06:50 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
tom,

I just picked up some nice silver tissue from micheals craft store for covering my 5.5 oz RYAN st. comes with five nice sized sheets and very light for $1.50

shrinks too!!!
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Dec 03, 2001, 07:14 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
Has anyone else tried this tissue from Michaels Craft Store. I know the japanese tissue is far superior, so I am hoping to find some of that, but if push comes to shove, I will have to resort to the domestic tissue. I keep my planes for a long time, some I fly are 15 years or older, and I like to use materials that last. Thanks Sam, I will check out that site. Someone else e-mailed me and mentioned the JCI tissue. Tom
Old Dec 03, 2001, 07:33 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hi Tom,

I'm glad to see you are enjoying the Kool Charge Tube. Too bad I did not get to meet you at the NEAT fair....well maybe I did and just don't know it.

Good luck with the search for some tissue.

Best Regards,

Jeff Meyers
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Dec 08, 2001, 11:54 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,993 Posts
I found some! A very kind gentleman is sending me 3 sheets of silver hand made japanese tissue. It's nice to know that people like Joe are around and willing to help a guy out. Thanks Joe. Tom Smith, CD, Rhinebeck Jamboree
Last edited by Tom Smith; Dec 09, 2001 at 04:16 PM.