HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
510 Posts
Just got an email from ParkZone advertising the Mini Vapor and it looks awesome!!!

Have a look at the specs...... it's unbelievable
It's got a size 15motor?[/QUOTE]

No forget that trash!

This is the swap out i would do

I would go for a DelTang receiver (the smallest and lighest available Spektrum DSM2 RECEIVER on this planet) 000.28g with a 2A ESC

And two micro proportional Actuators at 000.41g each

richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Last edited by richos; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:00 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Cool little RX

but 25?

(and shipping?)
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
688 Posts
Maiden flight report!

Picked up my new MV from the LHS this noon on my way to work. It's a beauty. Really cute!

Had brought a small RTF tx with me to check it out at work. Flew it again with my trusty DX7 in a much smaller room when I got home. So here's a report.

Mixed review so far.

+ Will float slowly around or fly quickly if you want to
+ Harriers nicely
+ Has great power
+ Hangs on the prop...and can climb out
+ Looks great
+ Flys better with the DX7 (duh...no surprise there! So do my V1 and Night V...and everything else!)
+ Takes crashing into things very well...no damage (to the plane or anything hit )

- Falls fast out of a stall turn...and will then pick up speed quickly and can be hard to control 'till leveled out. I hit walls and chairs and the floor a number of times
- Can get disoriented in poor light due to small size. Happened when I flew it into a darker area of the room at work. Which way is it going? Oh, there's the floor! No problem at home keeping it close to me in a well lighted bedroom.
- Mine loves to turn left and does not like to turn right...even after centering the rudder. Closer examination shows that the rudder travels farther to the left than to the right on both high and low rates. I may disconnect the pushrod and adjust the position of the servo's connecting piece. Maybe that will equal the travel distances.

All in all...a cute, fun plane that I think I'll really enjoy once I get it adjusted and get familiar with it. Might have been easier to do that if I'd maidened it in a gym or other really large room. But, alas, I went with what I had available.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Last edited by shepflyr; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Got the email from HH yesterday that they're in stock, ran by my LHS and picked up the last BNF they had. Used a 15.00 off coupon, so it was a great deal at 64.99 Took it home, charged it up and bound it to my Futaba 9C. Have flown it inside a few times and outside (very calm conditions) once. I pushed the CG back pretty far and fly it with the nose up a bit, flies quite slowly and is very, very easy to fly in my living room. It'll turn instantly. You can darned near fly it into a wall but give full rudder and some elevator and it will miraculously turn practically on axis and zip away from the wall. Can float it along near the ceiling, near the floor, in between furniture, around ceiling fans or for a touch-and-go off the coffee table. By the end of the first flight I was flying it from the living room into the dining room and into the kitchen and in between pendant lights hanging from the ceiling back into the living room again. I've never been able to fly anything other than circuits in the living room with the bigger Vapor, but the little one can fly all over the place in the same area. It's really great. The way it flies is similar to the Vapor in feel, but it can do so much more in the same space.

Two negative comments- it doesn't seem to have enough oomph to loop. It tends to roll out before it gets to the halfway point. I'm thinking once the motor and batt break in that maybe it'll be able to pull it off. The other is flight time, I'm only getting 4-1/2 minutes. HH batts are typically pretty poor, I'm sure someone will make a better batt if there's not one already. A better batt might help with the lack of power for loops too.

I fly micro helis in the house but always wanted a plane I could fly in there too and FINALLY here it is!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:12 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Mine loves to turn left and does not like to turn right
As an aside many rudder/elevator models turn better to the left because they have right sidethrust on the motor. In a left turn the right sidethrust keeps the nose up (like applying top rudder), whereas in a right turn it pulls the nose down.

I wasn't going to say anything till after people had started posting flight tests, but I spoke to a friend of mine last week who's an excellent flier and has a standard Vapor. He'd had a chance to fly a Mini at an indoor session and wasn't that impressed. It's a cute little model and a great achievement, but doesn't fly just like a standard Vapor.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
After reading the previous 2 posts (319 and 320) it seemed like they were contradicting each other, but maybe not. Maybe the full size Vapor flies better in a larger area like a gymnasium, and the smaller one is easier to maneuver inside your house.

I am not an expert pilot, and flying my Night Vapor around the house pushes my skills beyond the limit, and breaks a few props as well. If it's true that the mini Vapor has enough power to hang on the prop, that would definitely make things easier by allowing it to go slower.
Puddytatter is offline Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I haven't bought one (yet), but I did fly one around a bit inside the LHS yesterday. Neat little plane, but the LHS had not enough vertical room for comfortable flight (read that as, I crashed a lot). I'll have more room in my house, I think.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
You are indeed lucky to have...
A a Lhs (I don't)
B one that will let you test a plane and crash a lot

How high was the ceiling?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Ceiling was about 8', but there are tables and displays about everywhere in there. I hit a mountain pass for a railroad operation more than once.

They not only "let" me test the plane, they specifically requested that I fly it!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
45 Posts
You are indeed lucky to have a store like that. All you need now is to get a video of a Mini Vapor derailing a train, and you will be famous. I am assuming you already have a standard vapor. What were your impressions about how the 2 differed in tight quarters?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I have only flew the NV a few times, and they were outside. I do not feel confident to fly the NV in my house (big old house, but fairly small rooms) and I have not attempted it. The MV will definitely fly in a much smaller space.

The reduced weight of the MV certainly helped it evade any damage in crashing about the store. The battery would always slide all the way forward, but that's it.

If they had had extra 30mah batteries on hand, I probably would have come home with one. I doubt that it would be happy with a 4-gram 150mah battery.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
688 Posts
Further flights:
Good news...it's going better. I moved the pushrods in to the 2nd hole on both control horns. Then Took my MV to a much larger indoor area today. Big improvement! It did very well and was a lot of fun to fly.

I'm thinking that trying to trim it out in the confines of a 14'x14' room wasn't all that effective. Should have followed the instruction book and waited 'till I could get to a larger area. But patience is not one of my primary virtues.

Also, it may be that some dirt or packing foam had gotten into the rudder servo. It was not turning right very well because the rudder was not travelling as far in its swing to the right as to the left. Doing better now, so whatever was in the servo's track must have gotten dislodged.

Bill Glover, you're right with your description of left and right turn flight characteristics. And this little MV still suffers from that a bit. But I'd never seen it that prominenlyt with either of my other Vapors, the Ember, Champ, J3 Cub, large and small HZ Super Cubs, or even the old Super Decathlon--all of which are 3 channel models. My old Micro Citabria does it some, but that had the same issue of the rudder simply not traveling as far to one side as to the other.

Anyway, the MV is no V1 Vapor or Night Vapor, but it's still fun and presents new challenges and opportunities!

Tom
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
As an aside many rudder/elevator models turn better to the left because they have right sidethrust on the motor. In a left turn the right sidethrust keeps the nose up (like applying top rudder), whereas in a right turn it pulls the nose down..
Bill,

Thanks!

Tom
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Been having a complete blast flying my Mini in the house. It took a few tries, but I finally successfully ROg'd off the dining table into the living room, then through a short hallway into the master bedroom, then through a 4' double door opening into the master bathroom, circled around and back into the bedroom, back through the hall into the living room, then into the entryway and into the formal dining room, through a 2'-6" opening into the kitchen, then back to the breakfast room for a landing back on the table where it started. All without hitting anything. I didn't just fly through the rooms, but did circuits, figure 8's etc. before moving onto the next room. It is crazy how maneuverable this little thing is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
I wasn't going to say anything till after people had started posting flight tests, but I spoke to a friend of mine last week who's an excellent flier and has a standard Vapor. He'd had a chance to fly a Mini at an indoor session and wasn't that impressed. It's a cute little model and a great achievement, but doesn't fly just like a standard Vapor.
Your buddy either got a dud or doesn't have his CG and/ or throws dialed in. I've logged about a dozen flights on my Mini and have over 100 on my regular Vapor and they fly pretty much identical, but the Mini is so much smaller that it can do much more in a given area than the regular Vapor. For indoor flying I set the batt all the way back to the brick. For outdoor flying (in calm conditions) I move it forward.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
688 Posts
We went to some friends' house for popcorn and a movie and I took the MV. Had a blast flying it around in their great room. Guess I got the bugs out of it now and am getting used to how it flys 'cause it was much easier. No trouble with turns, ROG's, or hand launch' n' catch. Did casual circles and figure 8's and then some 3d stuff...and they were impressed.

OK, I'm lovin' it!

Tom