HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2014, 06:19 AM
Joined Dec 2004
745 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a good outrunner. My other towplane runs a SK6364-230kv which goes quite well too. It seems you have found a good setup for your Rascal too. However when towing a drive gets a bit more heat to cope with (longer high-power runs)

Ratings are just an indication, whatever the manufaturer decided to print on the label. 3500W is quite a bit for a 635gr outrunner. Usually they are based on occasional full throttle, but not continuous. Measuring/logging temperatures can be quite revealing. Do you really get 3500W or are you running at lower power?

Big slow revving props are generally good for efficiency. Up to a certain point, where the pitch just gets too high and the prop stall at low speeds. The 25x18 is just within that margin, pulls with authority, even from a standstill.

And besides that, I just wanted to try something different

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2014, 09:32 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
Measuring/logging temperatures can be quite revealing. Do you really get 3500W or are you running at lower power?
Gerben
Tested on a Wattmeter with a freshly charged pack. I prolly only run full power 15% of the flight. It will blast out of a hover pretty good. I doubt Im at full throttle for more than 20 seconds at a time.

Ive never towed anything, but it sounds like your setup has more low end grunt for longer towing time.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2014, 11:52 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
I was able to get the Rascal outside yesterday for some photos. I'm the second owner of this beauty. I added the white pinstripes. I'd seen that done on a sailplane a long time ago and liked the look. This Rascal has a Saito 1.25 in it. Many successful flights. Let's hope mine are too!

I attended the Toledo RC Show this weekend, and Sig had a Rascal at the top of their booth for all to see. Made me smile!
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Apr 08, 2014, 12:23 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott View Post
I was able to get the Rascal outside yesterday for some photos. I'm the second owner of this beauty. I added the white pinstripes. I'd seen that done on a sailplane a long time ago and liked the look. This Rascal has a Saito 1.25 in it. Many successful flights. Let's hope mine are too!

I attended the Toledo RC Show this weekend, and Sig had a Rascal at the top of their booth for all to see. Made me smile!
HelloScott,

You need to bring your Rascal 110 to our Annual Rascal 110/Big Bird event in Evansville. This will be our 5th event. SIG may make it again this year. We always have a Rascal 110 to raffle off plus other goodies. Makes it worth the trip.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2138778
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Apr 08, 2014, 12:51 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
965 Posts
I've got it on my calendar Olezippi! I will be there if I possibly can. At least one day. Evansville isn't crazy far from Indy. If they got the new I-69 done, it would be even closer!

From the picture on the flyer, it looks like I'd be Lucky 13 if everyone shows up from last year too.
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott