SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by maguro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:01 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
United States, MI, De Tour Village
Joined Oct 2006
2,055 Posts
My 2000th post.

I had always wondered what my 2000th post would say and I had hoped it would say something worthwhile. But....

I still visit the forums from time to time when not building, designing, teaching and offering a helping hand elsewhere in my community. I am like most, (I believe) in these threads and that is that I look at things from a laymens point of view. Over the years I have picked up on some of the high polluting language used by those far more advanced than myself, but call it hard headedness or indesire I keep it simple. The kF airfoil has opened a whole new world to builders and pilots alike that would never have gotten as far as they did in this wonderful hobby without it. Regardless of the numbers, this concept works. Plain and simple, it has been used in different variations on a multitude of model aircraft and now propellers. The ease of building, the lessened time versus built up structures and the overall cost to monetary and time constraints has made the kF airfoil the number one choice by many, in which ever variation. I will let all you who are definately more intelligent regarding the numbers here continue the debate and I will watch and learn. But, while you do the scientific I will be enjoying the realistic in that the kF airfoil works. I like to keep it fun...

Father Francis
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,214 Posts
Jack...

It has been pointed out to me that the comparison between the KFm1 and the NACA4415 is not a very good test because the NACA4415 is a rather poor airfoil. However, the KFm1 is not nearly as good lift-to-drag wise as a KFm2 which was not tested.

I still feel that the KFm1 did not come out looking like a dog.

I have been in contact with Dylan Anderson, who is away on assignment, and he told me that he was not able to produce any further results on the KF because of needing different parameters for the computer to handle. He hopes to wrap things up with his conclusions soon.

Apparently testing a step/vortex requires a whole new set of parameters.
Nothing is simple.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
116 Posts
Hi Dick,
your Icon inspired me, togheter with other things, to develop this deceptively simple airplane model. I called it the Hexaring.
Enjoy !

Hexaring Flugbereich 01 (1 min 47 sec)

Hexaring SP04 (2 min 57 sec)

Hexaring maiden flight (5 min 10 sec)

Hexaring indoor SV06 (6 min 12 sec)
Blendedwing is offline Find More Posts by Blendedwing
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,214 Posts
[QUOTE=Blendedwing;30534521]Hi Dick,
your Icon inspired me, togheter with other things, to develop this deceptively simple airplane model. I called it the Hexaring.
Enjoy !

Blendedwing.....

I did enjoy those videos very much. They were very enjoyable to watch. It's a great looking aircraft that performs very well.

Thank you so much!

~ Dick
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:48 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Jack...

It has been pointed out to me that the comparison between the KFm1 and the NACA4415 is not a very good test because the NACA4415 is a rather poor airfoil. However, the KFm1 is not nearly as good lift-to-drag wise as a KFm2 which was not tested.

I still feel that the KFm1 did not come out looking like a dog.

I have been in contact with Dylan Anderson, who is away on assignment, and he told me that he was not able to produce any further results on the KF because of needing different parameters for the computer to handle. He hopes to wrap things up with his conclusions soon.

Apparently testing a step/vortex requires a whole new set of parameters.
Nothing is simple.
No, the KFm1 looked OK. it was fine. But I'll bet the KFm2, 3 or 4 would have looked even better yet, don't you?

The KFm1 has always sort of baffled most of us simply because we think the step is on the wrong side of the wing. But there is no arguing with success.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes