SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2001, 10:09 PM
Tacoma,WA
Joined May 2001
37 Posts
Astroflight.....secure server ?

Hi All,
Wanting to order a Wattmeter from Astroflight, but they don't seem to have a secure server. You know the type I'm talking about, when you got a little 'padlock' in the bottom of your browser. Any idea's.
foambattery is offline Find More Posts by foambattery
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2001, 10:17 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
Call them on the phone. I've found them very nice to talk to.
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jun 17, 2001, 10:29 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
The idea of a truly "secure" server connection on the internet is certainly a topic of debate (as to whether it really exists) that could span a many page thread in "Off Topic". However, as to your question - call and order over the telephone, or FAX your order.

Many companies do not except full orders [order and payment] over the net as they don't feel comfortable with it either (SR Batteries gives a similar explanation as to their "online" ordering policy on their web site).

I personally feel that my credit card number and information could just as easily be stolen and used by that kid behind the checkout counter as it can if stolen off the web. That risk comes down to the protection your credit card company affords you, and has almost nothing to do with your trust in the company with which you are placing the order.

What secure protocal are you referring to? If it is Microsoft's 128 bit encryption, I suggest you personally research that encryption method, US ISC laws, and national IT regulations - to determine how much you trust it. If it is another, then the same logic would apply.

When you call, use a land line and not a wireless or celullar phone, that could be tapped and listened to as well by scanners...

Yes, personal privacy and protection from fraud is an issue that some believe is pointless, and others carry to extremes. Your information is out there - it just takes the industrious or lucky criminal to use it. The best you can do is never place three items of personal identification in the same location or same transaction. For the most part, your credit card number is useless without your mailing address. Your mailing address and ID is useless without your "numbers" (drivers license and social security). But you would be both terrified and surprised if you new what the various agencies (public and private) know about you and often sell to data centers (those companies that do "background searches" for $40 on the net, and tell someone everything you have done or thought about for the past 30 years.

Are there truly any secrets left? Only those your never told anyone and have never written or spoke about ever.

Just a little enlightened paranoia from the dark room... Cash
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:15 AM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Hi Cash...

That's why we use the two email system to split up the card number and expiration date. We could give people a false sense of security by securing our order page on our site, but because we don't have a server here, but instead use an IPP to host our site, the link we'd use to retreve the messages from their server wouldn't be secure.

By spliting up your card number it's a little more work for us to put the two email messages together, but it is a far more secure system.

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR