|Jul 09, 2008, 05:52 AM|
An Orca is reborn
After a "high speed wing malfunction" a few months ago, I finally got round to rebuilding a set of wings for my Orca pitcheron. I upped the wingspan to 2m/80" from the original ~68" but kept it at the original e374 8%. Carbon golf shaft spars are out to 50% span with Poplar skins with 3/4oz glass on a bias over the top to keep it torsionally stiff. Blue foam cores with CF LE and TE keep the shape happening.
A local RCGer kindly lent me his bagging gear, sheeting, wisdom and various gear to make it all happen. I learnt a lot watching someone who knew what they were doing. Small things can make a big difference (like cutting the glass 1" too large and then trimming once wetted out ), so seeing it done from start to finish was a great help. I also learn that it is possible to use Vivac (a vacuum forming plastic) instead of mylars, and it's a LOT cheaper.
The wing was done in two parts, sheeting on first followed by the glass at 45deg later with the primer laid on the mylars prior to final bagging.
The fuse required a small dab of CA on the nose, and a litte more at the base of the fin where a small crack had appeared. Apart from that 5min with some sandpaper and a dab of a epoxy paste fillet to fill in a few chips and it's done - bar the finishing and painting.
Old friends don't die, they just get reborn.