HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
Zenoah G23 clutch?

Does anybody have a clutch on their Modified 23cc Zenoah? I have a BH Hanson Indy G23 in an Expresscraft Race V, and have always wanted to put a clutch in it. I know that direct drive is better, but a clutch would be handy for some of the places that I drive my boat at.

James
raceachevy is offline Find More Posts by raceachevy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:29 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
James,

I had asked the very same question about a shockwave with a 23cc Zenoah. I have been doing some research and found two clutch set ups that I am entertaining. One is from Marine Specialties and the other is from warehouse hobbies. Please let me know if you come up with another alternative.

David
slip knot is offline Find More Posts by slip knot
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:01 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
David,
I know of one from BH Hanson. It's under their "What's New" page. They're selling it for $129. Scroll down to about the middle of this page. http://www.bhhanson.com/hbwhatsnew.htm

I'll go into my LHS(Expresscraft Boats), and I'll ask them what they know about the clutches.

James
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:15 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
James,

The one at Marine specialties is very similar and costs $124.75. I am including a link to the clutch and a second one for their price list.

http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/motormounts.htm

http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/...celist1024.htm

A buddy of mine repairs chain saws and weed wackers. I have hime looking into other clutch options as well. I will get back to you when I have some additional alternatives.

David
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
The marine specialties one looks nice.. I wonder if it will fit in my boat.. My engine compartment is very cramped, because it wasn't made to accept an engine as large as the Zenoah G23.

James
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
James,

I purchased the marine specialties clutch this past weekend. The fit was fantastic, like it was made for the shockwave. I have not yet water tested, though I am hoping to have it in the water today. I will let you know how the water test goes.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 04:19 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
thanks.. I'm still wondering if it will fit in my boat. Here are a few pictures of mine.

James
Old Jul 13, 2004, 01:04 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
James,

From what I can see in your photos, it appears as though you have a little room to work with. The one question I would ask is...how much clearance do you have between the original collet and the bottom of the hull? the clutch and cage do hang down below the motor a little bit. I didn't have to change the length of my flex cable. When complete, the clutch really didn't protrude any further than the original collet that was on the motor. I ran mine with the new marine specialties clutch yesterday. I worked like a charm, though it definately scrubbed off a little top end. Anytime you add additional drive train components, you are going to loose a little speed in the rotating mass.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:21 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
I'll take some measurements tonight when i get home. I don't mind that i won't get as much speed, because I've only hit full throttle once.

james