SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:51 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Discussion
New vendor for sport, acro and mini FPV multicopter products: FreeBirdRC.com

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce my brand new online store for multicopter products. I will be carrying flight controllers (Including Naze Acro and Naze 32 full board equivalents), high quality all carbon frames, motors, speed controllers, silicone wire, etc.

My products line will be primarily focused on sport fun flying. I originally decided to open the store because I found that many of the products I was looking for always seemed to be out of stock, or available from vendors that took way too long to deliver. My mission is too carry great products, and ship them fast.

Please have a look. I would VERY much appreciate it if you would comment here in this thread after you have a look. It will help me get the news out about my store.

As an RC Groups only grand opening special, the first 5 customers who purchase over $75 worth of products, and then report their purchase here on this thread, will receive a $25 credit towards their next purchase.

Thanks for looking!
Brian Courtice
FreeBirdRC.com
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Apr 2013
241 Posts
Looks good, in the US, decent prices. Smart to limit the product line to better margin items. I'll keep this in mind when I am buying. Good luck.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Old Nov 04, 2014, 01:20 AM
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Aug 2014
106 Posts
Site looks good. I would make it so that as the mouse hovers over an image, that image is made prominent on the product page. Will you have more frames? Also I noticed that you did not have any compasses or GPS items, will they be coming soon?

Looks like you are off to a great start!
RemyMartinXIII is online now Find More Posts by RemyMartinXIII
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:54 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyMartinXIII View Post
Site looks good. I would make it so that as the mouse hovers over an image, that image is made prominent on the product page. Will you have more frames? Also I noticed that you did not have any compasses or GPS items, will they be coming soon?

Looks like you are off to a great start!
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate them.

I built the website using WIX, which is a cloud based web building site. The good thing about Wix is that it is all drag and drop, no code editing at all. The bad thing is you can't add features that aren't already built in and you can't modify the code.

I found the existing product gallery feature useless to my needs, because you couldn't add external links to firmware etc, and it also limited how much description could be added, etc, etc. I was too far into my site build when I realized I would have to ditch the product gallery template. The solution was to build a "fake " gallery out of link-able images and paragraphs. Unfortunately, you can't get those paragraphs and images to change what they look like when you hover over them. At least the mouse icon will change to indicate a clickable link, which gets the job done, even if it isn't ideal. Eventually, I'll have to learn more about html coding and build a new, more customizable website from scratch.

My plan is to deepen my product line as sales build and I have more funds to invest.
I started with a limited number of products, but I have plenty of inventory. Once I get some sales coming in, new products, like FPV supplies, will follow.

Thanks again!
Brian
Old Nov 04, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2014
206 Posts
Hi Brian, if i order a swift 1.5 is it already Pre-loaded with Quad X and multi 2.3?
z28_ta is offline Find More Posts by z28_ta
Old Nov 04, 2014, 10:50 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
My Swift 1.5's arrived from the factory with v2.2 installed. I would be happy to re-flash to 2.3 for you.

You should really download and install the drivers, Arduino software, and 2.3 GUI onto your computer and be prepared to do your own flashing. It only takes a minute to flash a board, and sooner or later you are going to want to update and/or re-flash the firmware for your board. (Your board will ship with a free USB programming cable included.)

I've been in the habit of automatically flashing the firmware I want on my own new boards, just to be sure that I know the firmware I want is definitely on there.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Nov 04, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 10:54 AM
Canada, ON, East Gwillimbury
Joined Sep 2014
140 Posts
Hey Brian, I was just thinking... Maybe you could do up some power looms for the 320 and 234. Maybe charge for the wire required plus a few bucks for soldering. Your loom came out much nicer than mine

As for those boards.. What kind of cable do I need to mess with them? I have a 6-pin usbasp for KK2 and a 4-pin for my ZYX. Would either of those work? I want something to compare my KK2 to.
jp0160 is offline Find More Posts by jp0160
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2014
206 Posts
deleted
Last edited by z28_ta; Nov 04, 2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:10 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0160 View Post
Hey Brian, I was just thinking... Maybe you could do up some power looms for the 320 and 234. Maybe charge for the wire required plus a few bucks for soldering. Your loom came out much nicer than mine

As for those boards.. What kind of cable do I need to mess with them? I have a 6-pin usbasp for KK2 and a 4-pin for my ZYX. Would either of those work? I want something to compare my KK2 to.
If there was enough demand, I'd get a factory in China to produce the looms for me. If I ordered enough of them, they'd be dirt cheap. To do it myself would be pretty time consuming, and I'd have to charge at least $10 for the service.

The cable you need comes with the board. There is lots of info on rc groups about setting up your first multiwii board. Look for a video on you tube called Flip 1.5 for dummies. The video is based on v2.0 gui , I think. You can still follow the video, just download v2.3. Setting up the Swift Pro is the same as setting up the Flip/Swift 1.5, you just download different firmware for the board.
Last edited by Brian Courtice; Nov 04, 2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2014
206 Posts
Brian, do you ship to Canada ?
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:28 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28_ta View Post
Ok tks Brian, so it does horizon mode ? (sorry i'm kinda of a newbie..)
Multiwii boards can be set up for 3 modes.

Acro: Self leveling turned off
Angle; Self leveling always on.
Horizon: Self leveling on when horizon is near level. Self level off when doing steep turns and acro.

You set up the modes in the GUI, and activate them with a switch on your transmitter. Again, a very good start is to watch the Flip 1.5 for Dummies video.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:38 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Brian, do you ship to Canada ?
Yes, I will ship to Canada. (I haven't got shipping to Canada activated on the site yet, I will very soon. Meanwhile you can order by sending me a PM) A small priority mail box to Canada costs me $23 to ship. A very small order might be cheaper if I can put it in a little envelope. Larger boxes will cost more. I can give you a better quote after I know what you are ordering.

My flat rate shipping to the US is $7. I will lose money on shipping when the order is too big for a small priority mail box, but I want to keep the cost as low as possible for my customers.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2014
206 Posts
Brian, i can't use 4S with your 12 Amp ESC ?
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:27 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Brian, i can't use 4S with your 12 Amp ESC ?
The esc's are not officially rated for 4S, but depending on the motors, props and batteries you use, you should be fine in most cases. Multicopters spend a lot of time just hovering and drawing minimal amps. Full throttle is only used in short bursts, and then everything gets to cool down when the copter starts hovering again.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Jan 2014
206 Posts
Ok Brian tks for all the info, i will pm you for a order shortly