HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:44 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
Tough weekend at the Viva Las Vegas IMAC...

I hadn't flown since the Tucson contest and got my usual 2 practice flights the weekend before the contest.

The winds were tough all weekend. The 1st round really messed with my mind. I couldn't feel any wind on the ground but I watched the plane getting blown further out each pass.

My blood sugar was so low for my 2nd round that I don't even remember the flight. Another pilot told me he saw my plane heading for the ground and wondered what was happening. I don't remember who called for me, taking off, flying, or landing. I'm told it was a good landing in the wind conditions. I vaguely remember walking around in circles trying to figure out how to tear down my plane. That's when I realized my blood sugar was low and started taking in calories.

Sunday started nice...

Name: Vegas sunrise.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 390.4 KB
Description:

The Unknown had a 1/2 snap on the very first 45 upline. I'm not a good enough pilot to get a snap started and then get the sticks back to center quick enough. I've zeroed the 1/2 snap every time it's in an Unknown. At least they could put it as the 7th or 8th maneuver so I have a little fun before the zero.

The final round on Sunday was the only round I enjoyed flying. I skipped my insulin injection after eating lunch and this time I knew the wind was blowing. It was fun to fly and I was glad I didn't pack up after the Unknown.

I only felt good about one round, so I was very happy to finish 3rd out of a 6 pilot Advanced class.

Name: 2014-10 Las Vegas IMAC.JPG
Views: 8
Size: 142.5 KB
Description:

While the flying in those conditions wasn't a whole lot of fun, it was great to see some pilots from Vegas that I hadn't seen in a decade. And I always enjoy some close competition with great friends.
Dean Bird is offline Find More Posts by Dean Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:11 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
The winner in the 7 pilot Sportsman class at the Viva Las Vegas IMAC was flying the CARF-Models 122" Extra 330SC.

I got to judge his Sunday afternoon round. It was awesome!! It had the same visible lock onto the line after each radius. I think that looks so cool.
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:43 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
During flights 129 - 136 I was noticing that the flights were only pulling from one of the receiver batteries. Another pilot mentioned that happened to them. They tested the receiver batteries and one had higher resistance. The receiver pulls from whichever battery has lower resistance. The solution was to get a new set of batteries.

I ordered two new 2500 mAh A123 batteries. They are mounted high and right in the motor dome to get a higher vertical CG and to help offset the engine weight to achieve the correct lateral balance.

Name: JD1.JPG
Views: 12
Size: 282.8 KB
Description:

They are secured to the motor dome with velcro straps and 1/2" foam underneath. I stand the fuselage up in my "workshop" and you can see the velcro straps on the motor dome.

Name: JD2.JPG
Size: 192.1 KB
Description:

I was told 2300 mAh wouldn't be enough for the dual ignition. I had a 2500 mAh battery for the DA 200 dual ignition to replace the 2300 mAh I was using. I've had the 2500 mAh battery since I got the plane but had never installed it. I swapped it out while I was replacing the ignition batteries. The ignition battery is also installed high and on the right side of the plane.

Here is the picture looking down into the plane as it sits on the nose. The arrows point to the three batteries.

Name: JD3.JPG
Views: 13
Size: 241.7 KB
Description:
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:45 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Bird View Post
Plans for the next 100 flights:

1. I only had a handful of flights to work on the setup before I started flying contests. I'm going to try a further forward CG and see if the spin entries improve. That's the one part of my sequence where I don't feel in total control.
2. Mount the battery charging jacks instead of having the connectors attached to the fuselage side with Velcro. That will make charging a little more convenient.
3. Fly some more contests and have more fun flying days!!!!
While I was replacing the batteries I mounted the charging jacks.

I made a paper template of the radius of the former where I wanted to glue the lite ply.

Name: JE1.JPG
Views: 10
Size: 160.3 KB
Description:

Wrong Way RC included a piece of lite ply for the charging jacks when I ordered the charge jack extensions. It was 3/4" wide so I need that much above the line.

Name: JE2.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 135.3 KB
Description:

The fuselage former is 1" wide so I need that much below the line.

Name: JE3.JPG
Size: 143.5 KB
Description:
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:45 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
I grabbed a scrap of 1/8" lite ply and used the template to create the 1 3/4" tall mount.

Name: JF1.JPG
Views: 9
Size: 155.0 KB
Description:

Name: JF2.JPG
Size: 127.2 KB
Description:

The test fit looks good.

Name: JF3.JPG
Size: 151.4 KB
Description:
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:46 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
There are three of the charging jack plates to mount.

Name: JG1.JPG
Size: 148.2 KB
Description:

I used one of them to trace the outline on the lite ply.

Name: JG2.JPG
Size: 151.6 KB
Description:

The Dremel router bit and an X-acto knife open up the charging jack holes easily. A 3/32" drill bit was the perfect size for the screw holes. Thin CA was used to harden all the holes.

Name: JG3.JPG
Size: 117.6 KB
Description:
Old Nov 08, 2014, 12:47 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
I used thick CA to glue the mount to the front side of the former.

Name: JH1.JPG
Size: 167.2 KB
Description:

It's a little tricky, but this shows the charge jack extensions from the three batteries routed to the mount.

Name: JH2.JPG
Size: 240.0 KB
Description:

Charging is more convenient with easy access to the charge jacks.

Name: JH3.JPG
Size: 164.4 KB
Description:
Old Nov 20, 2014, 07:48 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Feb 2008
308 Posts
My apologies to those that choose to live anywhere affected by a polar vortex...

But, dang, it's been REALLY nice in Arizona the last two weekends.

The weather has been so nice I actually prepared for the "Best in the West" IMAC contest with 4 flights the weekend before the contest instead of the usual 2 flights.

We had 5 pilots in the Advanced class. I was about 50 points behind 1st place (out of 3,000) at the end of the day Saturday.

Our Unknown Sunday morning was too funny. The wind was blowing in pretty good. All 5 of of us got together after the round and laughed about all the mistakes we made. We joked about it being a round of "who sucked the least".

I didn't make up enough on Sunday to win and ended the contest 30 points behind 1st place (out of 5,000). I got the 2nd place trophy for this contest.

Name: 2014-11 Shootout at Felix Ranch.JPG
Views: 2
Size: 167.7 KB
Description:

It was a great weekend for our last contest of the season. Close competition with good friends is always a blast!!