SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:31 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Build Log
Converting the GP Proudbird EF-1 to a Falk Rivets EF-1

I have started this build log to show how I have converted the GP Proud Bird to a Rivets.

To start, what a great ARF EF-1 offered by Great Planes. I am very impressed by its quality and by how light all the components are. The glass work and canopy are very nice as well as the complete hardware bag. This made a great base for the conversion.

As stated in the other thread, I had designed my own ground up Rivets EF-1 model. I had planned to get it up and going this year, but thought that this avenue would get it done quicker. I submitted the idea and the conversion for approval and away we went.

The goal of this conversion is to make it as easy as possible. Even more important would be to maintain a low cost and parts count. Before anything though I had to also make sure it was feasible. So away we go.

I have attached photos of some of the assembly. The Proud Bird has many nice references to use to align the new parts. Pictures show that the fuse was stripped, but with the experience now, this is not necessary.

More to follow, so enjoy.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Iceman67 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman67
Last edited by Iceman67; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
Thanks, Archie, for doing this build log. Pretty slick, are you screwing and gluing the stab, or is it intended to be removable?
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:06 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
Canada, ON, Aylmer
Joined Apr 2009
746 Posts
That's fantastic Archie! I like how you did the stab in pieces like that, nifty.
TheBlood+ is offline Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:24 PM
LCS
New York
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
Hi Archie,
Beat me to the punch. I had asked Dan Kane about it three weeks ago, just wanted to get it flown before i submitted it. You did a great job as always.

Curious about the wing tips, this is the multi view I used, wing tips were a very simple mod, but no horner tips

Lewis Schwab
LCS is offline Find More Posts by LCS
Last edited by LCS; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
Thanks, Archie, for doing this build log. Pretty slick, are you screwing and gluing the stab, or is it intended to be removable?
Tail will be bolted using 2 #6-32 bolts. Makes it small and easy to pack. Going to use button head steel bolts. Probably overkill but will be strong enough.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:41 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCS View Post
Hi Archie,
Beat me to the punch. I had asked Dan Kane about it three weeks ago, just wanted to get it flown before i submitted it. You did a great job as always.

Curious about the wing tips, this is the multi view I used, wing tips were a very simple mod, but no horner tips

Lewis Schwab
Lewis

I like the horner tips and submitted it that way. The tips are only 1" wide so making the other tips would be challenging.

Sorry about beating to punch. I really wanted to do this and it just came together. Got a big push from my laser supplier with his quick turn.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:40 PM
LCS
New York
Joined Jan 2003
86 Posts
Hi Archie,
Doesn't matter who did it, there needed to be a Rivets out there. Let me know when the conversion kit is ready, would love to get one. I am curious to see how stiff your bolt on tail is, I love that idea.

Lewis
LCS is offline Find More Posts by LCS
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Converting the GP Proudbird EF-1 to a Falk Rivets EF-1matter who did it, there needed to be a Rivets out there. Let me know when the conversion kit is ready, would love to get one. I am curious to see how stiff your bolt on tail is, I love that idea.

Lewis[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It is surprisingly stiff. The rudder assembly is very strong. The flex i get is the stab flexing outside the mount area which will get stronger with covering.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:03 AM
Valdese NC
Joined May 2004
388 Posts
Can you show a picture of the pushrod connecting the elevator please?
vic welland is offline Find More Posts by vic welland
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic welland View Post
Post #1, first 4 pictures.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
482 Posts
those show the pushrod tube, but not how it connects to the elevator. I'm sure Archie will let us know..
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic welland View Post
Vic,

The cable is used that comes with the sleeve. The connection to the elevator is made either via a 90* bend and a wheel collar or a "Z" bend in the cable. Solder can be wicked through the cable to stiffen it. Also The cable can be simply replaced with solid piano wire and the same connection methods listed above apply. Archie has a small laser cut horn that is mounted to the bottom side of the elevator. The cable or wire passes through this horn. I am sure pictures are coming.

DK
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Here is the Pushrod arrangement. I plan to use the 0.060" sullivan cable tinned with solder with a z-bend. I will also try 0.045" music wire if the cable has too much drag inside the tubing. It moves smoothly, but we'll see how it is when I get the servo installed.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:06 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
I have added the horner tips and attached pics of the progress. I lost my flight window so I went ahead and stripped the rest of the covering and will be recovering it in yellow and red. I will finish in the Scale scheme with yellow wings and red fuse with the "92's". Will have red wing tips and probably red checkers on the bottom. All parts were final sanded with 600 and look awesome. Will be covering with Ultra cote.

Tips will be supplied in the conversion kit. (2) 1/16" ply plates and balsa wing tips will be laser cut. Stock tips need to be removed and the new tips installed.

More to come. Hope to finish this week, but that is dependant on the work schedule. Has been crazy this year.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Archie, looks great! Do you think the tips will help with turning radius? We fly a lot of 2 pole 400' courses in Texas.
Fred French
fastfredy123 is offline Find More Posts by fastfredy123