HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Trader Rating: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
That thing is sweet Bryan. I'm still waiting anxiously for that video where we can see it cruising across a field, delivering pizza or lifting supplies to the ISS. It's snowed about 25cm here in the last 2 days so my M370 is grounded. I'll have to stick to the F45 in this weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
LOL... Bryan did an awesome job on that build, indeed. I'm surprised at how stable it is. No oscillation at all. Very well tuned. And yes, I'm sure that thing would be crazy fast given the weight vs thrust ration he has going. Very, VERY well done.

Best,
Chris
Thank you both very much. I actually put 2 - 4S batteries in series on it today and I think it flew even better with the additional weight. When I can get a good weather day and not have to work, I will take it to my flying field and make a video with my GoPro attached to it. I am looking for some 14 inch props now to try on it.

I can't wait to receive my new, triple top secret design from you Chris. I think a lot of the guys on here are going to like it........ Sshhhhhh!
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,860 Posts
Trader Rating: 170
You keep saying it's my design but all I did is handed over your drawings to the CNC factory. Since it's a secret, I won't post the pics. I'll let you post the pics. It's packed and on its way to you tomorrow, good Sir.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
@ Banjo5 "Unplanned Landings" LOL! I am so stealing that, too funny. B5, go with the 2826/2200kv, 9045 props, and a minimum 40C batt you're going to love it, trust me.

@Bryan, very cool man....hahahahaa You could hear those wind chimes just singing away, yet it still remained pretty darn stable. Turning off the auto level was one of the best things I've done, give it a try if you havent already. I should have my M700 up in the air within a week with a little bit of luck....can't wait!

@rexless flying the F45 after getting 25cm of snow may be the wise move. I could just see your Armattan sliceing into snow at mach 3 and you having to wait until spring to find it...

-Pat
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
349 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
I can't wait to receive my new, triple top secret design from you Chris. I think a lot of the guys on here are going to like it........ Sshhhhhh!
OK Bryan, Give! Don't be a HobbyKing 9XR indeterminate release date type .

Thurmond
T3PRanch is online now Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,773 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Quote:
C'mon, spill the beans.

It's the holiday season.

daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Quote:
You keep saying it's my design but all I did is handed over your drawings to the CNC factory. Since it's a secret, I won't post the pics. I'll let you post the pics. It's packed and on its way to you tomorrow, good Sir.

Best,
Chris
Very cool! What a nice Christmas present for myself.

I have to tell you guys when you see the new design, I think you will like it as much as me. I hope so.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
[QUOTE=@Bryan, very cool man....hahahahaa You could hear those wind chimes just singing away, yet it still remained pretty darn stable. Turning off the auto level was one of the best things I've done, give it a try if you havent already. I should have my M700 up in the air within a week with a little bit of luck....can't wait.[/QUOTE]

I normally fly without AL, just wanted to see what it was like on a big quad. The wind has been blowing like a mother around here lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
OK Bryan, Give! Don't be a HobbyKing 9XR indeterminate release date type .

Thurmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
C'mon, spill the beans.

It's the holiday season.

It is Christmas time, so I guess I should share a pic or 2 of this new design........
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Regarding motors, I have 2826/2200KV and 2822/1800KV on hand. If it were me, I would go with the 2826s because I like more oumff even if it means shorter flight time. That said, flight time isn't all that far apart.

Best,
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
@ Banjo5 "Unplanned Landings" LOL! I am so stealing that, too funny. B5, go with the 2826/2200kv, 9045 props, and a minimum 40C batt you're going to love it, trust me.

-Pat
OK Chris,
let's do it then: Chris please can we go ahead with this order.

Today I confirmed I do actually have 4 F20's so I'm good there. Looks like 2 votes for the 2826/2200kv so who am I to argue.

9" props Pat? I'm running 8x4 GWS (style) props on my tricopter with 2830/1300kv motors, so I would have guessed that 8" would still be pushing things on these higher kv motors. Maybe I can talk Chris into letting me pay extra for a pair of each size?

Looking forward to this.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
349 Posts
Quote:
It is Christmas time, so I guess I should share a pic or 2 of this new design........

Thurmond
T3PRanch is online now Find More Posts by T3PRanch
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Master of Disaster!
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Hey Chris,

I haven't even received my quad in the mail yet and I've already sold another quad for you. I've been showing my friends and family the videos of your creations on your Youtube channel. This is a great tool and you should definitely keep the videos coming, btw.

I would like to place an order for a CNC 355 RXR with spare parts for a Christmas present for a friend. I realize you are already booked up this weekend and it may be a while before you can start on this order and that is okay. It is going to be a belated gift anyway.

If you decide to take this order, send me your PayPal info again and I'll go ahead and pre-pay immediately. Thanks again for keeping this hobby exciting with your constantly improving designs and hard work. Keep it up!

Thanks,
Justin
Justin83 is offline Find More Posts by Justin83
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Okay Gentleman, here it is............... I call it the Armattan "-BF510- Squid" edition. Why? Because it looks kinda like a Squid and I am a retired Squid of 22 years US Navy.

Many thanks to Chris again. I think it looks cool as hell. The whole idea with the bent arms was to raise them up out of a cameras view, like a GoPro.

These are the pics Chris emailed me a few days ago. The last pic, Chris sat a CNC 355 on top of the Squid for size comparison. I think the Squid is a 510mm.

So what do you think?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:32 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,524 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Quote:
Okay Gentleman, here it is............... I call it the Armattan "-BF510- Squid" edition. Why? Because it looks kinda like a Squid and I am a retired Squid of 22 years US Navy.

Many thanks to Chris again. I think it looks cool as hell. The whole idea with the bent arms was to raise them up out of a cameras view, like a GoPro.

These are the pics Chris emailed me a few days ago. The last pic, Chris sat a CNC 355 on top of the Squid for size comparison. I think the Squid is a 510mm.

So what do you think?
That is awesome... I have been thinking of doing something a lot like this as well. My idea is slightly different but same purpose.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:36 PM
Master of Disaster!
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Dec 2012
302 Posts
Quote:

So what do you think?
I think it looks great Bryan, and should be great for keeping the blades out of the way of the camera. Nice improvement for those interested in taking pictures and video with their Armattan.

I for one, am thankful that I found this forum full of great people who share a common interest in a hobby that I love. What I think is cool is that if everyone has a neat and practical idea such as this one, constant improvements can be made over time that end up benefiting all of us.

While I understand that Chris is mainly interested in acrobatic quads and not so much in aerial photography or fpv, its awesome that he seems willing to create new designs to cater to others interests. So we all end up benefiting by having a quad for each flying style.
Justin83 is offline Find More Posts by Justin83
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Thats is a great design and I think you will find that it will actually fly better than regular designs in windy conditions. It will have a unusually low center of gravity in relation to motors and I believe that will make it more stable in windy conditions.
I agree with Justin83 we all are very lucky to have a man like Chris doing what he is for the hobby and all of us. He is a dream come thru maker with serious talent.
I have to keep working part time now (retired) to be able to pay for all your ideas and his success in making them. I got one ordered and am now having difficulty in deciding which Armattan will be my next quad. I'm loving this forum and its members.
Carl
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,773 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
Where do you intend to mount the GoPro?

On top of the Armattan logo cover?

Also wondering if Chris might move to lower kv motors to maximize flight time over the existing quads.

Chris is great; I was hoping for a workable mount configuration for a sub 250 gram cam. Would also like to see a 1/4-inch mount hole for those that want to shoot with non GoPro light cams as well.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Closed Thread