Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Discussion
*** Albatross from Crashtesthobby ***

The 46" Albatross is a true park flyer. It can level its own wings and put its nose on the horizon without pilot input. It is cut from EPP foam that won't crush or dent.

The Albatross offer many possibilities for newer flyers or advanced flyers who want light weight FPV, night flying, indoor flying, slope soaring, aerial photography, and flying in small parks where low noise levels are needed. No one is going to complain if they don't know you are flying. (watch the videos)

Two years ago we were contacted by a university that needed a plane that would be a good platform for their engineering students to use to test the auto pilots they were designing. They wanted it durable, quiet, easy to fly, easy to build, and designed to use less expensive motors and radio. Most of the flying would be done over the campus sports fields or at a local park. The auto pilots they were building and programming were light weight and so a smaller plane would not only be acceptable but preferred so the planes could easily fit in student cars. Only two of the students had any RC flying experience.

I had designed some similar planes in the past so I presented some ideas to the students and together we worked up a design. They wanted to use the same building techniques and EPP foam we use on our combat planes to make a plane that was hard to break and fly in wind and small areas without upsetting the neighbors. Unlike other slow flyers it is really hard to break this plane. EPP foam doesn't dent like the injection molded EPO foams and it can bend without breaking unlike the molded shell planes. The Albatross fuselage is a solid block of 1.9# EPP foam not a bunch of parts glued together. The wing is a solid core EPP wing that also take a beating. Even the tail feathers are EPP foam and can bend without breaking. I know this description makes the plane sound heavy but it is very light for its size and it has even slope soared and caught thermals rising when the conditions are right.

The theory behind the design...

I had a shop teacher who flew "free flight" model airplanes 50 years ago. These planes would be released with a gas motor running and had no way to control them after they left the pilots hand. They would put enough fuel in them for several minutes of flight and start them up and let them go. They had to chase the planes to recover them, similar to what we do now with model rocketry.

"Free flight models" have to stabilize themselves without pilot intervention because there is no pilot. We wanted to add a radio and have a plane that will level its own wings and put its nose on the horizon without pilot input but can turn at your command. I have seen a lot of non flyers get real excited when they see how easy this is to fly.

Two weeks after the university students got their planes I got a report that they had all 16 planes not only built but flying. The most amazing part is that most had never flown before. Many flyers have said this is the first plane they have flown where they felt comfortable with the plane in the air.

If a pilot is confused, all he has to do is let go of the stick, even if the plane is upside down or in a stall or dive, and the plane will turn itself right side up, level its wings and put its nose on the horizon as long as you have enough altitude. Its advantages go much farther than leveling the wings, the plane is helping you even in the wind. Many of our flyers are using it to train their wife and kids to fly. I like it for night flying and aerial videos with a keychain cam.

The Albatross offer many possibilities for newer flyers or advanced flyers who want light weight FPV, night flying, indoor flying, slope soaring, aerial photography, and flying in small parks where low noise levels are needed. No one is going to complain if they don't know you are flying.

Lee

www.crashtesthobby.com

Some of the flyers in this video have only flown for a couple of weeks. The Albatross with the red wing and black tail at the end of the video is being flown by a pilot for his first time ever to fly RC.

Albatross Spot Landing 4-13 (2 min 30 sec)

This next video is two Albatross flying demonstrating the slow speed handling and control of the design.
One of my favorite ways to fly the Albatross is with LED lights. The speed and handling are perfect for night flying at the park.
We were originally going to call the plane the Pelican but that name ended up with the 34" little brother version.

Albatross 48" self-stabilizing slowflyer - (3 min 18 sec)

Notice the size of the softball diamond in the video. The Albatross is quiet and controllable in small fields.
I have been testing the keychain 808 #16 HD cameras on the Albatross so enjoy a little aerial video photography.

More testing with the 808 #16 and #16D HD video cameras (4 min 23 sec)

We were flying in 10-20 MPH wind out of the canyon. I could hover the plane in the wind.
The Albatross self stabilizing design will help the pilot maintain control even in the wind.

808 #16D Keychain camera on RC Albatross (5 min 16 sec)

This video shows the plane flying low and slow. Unlike under-cambered wings this design is stable at low speeds but can still penetrate the wind.
This video shows the Albatross rolling and other gentle aerobatics.

48" CTH Trainer (3 min 8 sec)

This is the Albatross flying with a pod mounted motor.
The split screen video shows what the plane is doing at the same time you see what the plane is seeing.

Albatross with pod with 808 #16D (4 min 4 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; May 08, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Here are some more videos:

Here is a link to a modification on how to put a pod motor on a plane built with a nose motor. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=98

Try this with your trainer. Gotta love the EPP and solid structure design.

Crashtesting the CTH Albatross 11-11 (4 min 17 sec)

More video with the Keychain camera up the canyon in turbulent 10-20 mph wind.

Albatross up Tibble Fork with #16 keychain (3 min 25 sec)

The 68" Storm Chaser is the 46" Albatrosses big brother. This video was shot with the plane flying without a pilot.
Other than the launch and landing the transmitter was on the ground.

Storm Chaser without a pilot (3 min 58 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Apr 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:40 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Cory gave me this cool footage of him chasing one of the Albatrosses around the field with his tricopter.

Albatross filmed from a Tricopter (4 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
How quiet is this design? You can listen but there isn't much to hear.

Albatross Quiet for local parks 11-26-11 (4 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
Even thought this plane flies slow it still can do loops and rolls and great spins.
The pink smaller plane is the 36" Pelican version.

Albatross-Pelican Tumbling and Spins (6 min 19 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
This is just for you flyers who don't know how tough EPP foam is!!!!!
This Assassin is built out of the same foam we use on the Albatross.

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3-12 (4 min 14 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:36 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Even thought this plane flies slow it still can do loops and rolls and great spins.
The pink smaller plane is the 36" Pelican version.
Okay, let's take score here:
Inside loop........................check!
outside loop.....................check!
steeply banked turns.......check!
roll....................................check!
unlimited vertical..............check!
roll on vertical line.............check!
inverted flight....................check!
spins.................................check!

Did I miss anything?

Guess they're right. A three channel plane is just a cripple and I can't see how anybody could POSSIBLY have any fun with one. Another boring plane to be forgotten in the dust bin of failed history.

I'm off to recommend another poster pay attention to your Storm Chaser for high altitude.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
I think you missed a few things on your scoring card like:

EPP tough ........... Check!
Night flyer ............ Check!
AP/FPV flying ...... Check!.
Indoor flyer .......... Check!
Super Trainer ...... Check!
Super quiet ......... Check!

We have had several flyers want to flatten the wing and put ailerons on it but then it isn't self stabilizing.

(There would still need to be some dihedral even with a two section wing with ailerons of about 2-3" up on each wing tip to get it to track well without yaw.)

If we get enough requests we will cut the aileron wing as an option but I recommend you try it like it is before you modify it. This is one sweet flyer.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:48 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I think you missed a few things on your scoring card like:

EPP tough ........... Check!
Night flyer ............ Check!
AP/FPV flying ...... Check!.
Indoor flyer .......... Check!
Super Trainer ...... Check!
Super quiet ......... Check!

We have had several flyers want to flatten the wing and put ailerons on it but then it isn't self stabilizing.

(There would still need to be some dihedral even with a two section wing with ailerons of about 2-3" up on each wing tip to get it to track well without yaw.)

If we get enough requests we will cut the aileron wing as an option but I recommend you try it like it is before you modify it. This is one sweet flyer.

Lee
You know, I'd honestly be afraid to spoil a good thing by adding the ailerons. It does just about everything in the book as a 3-channel. I think the 4 channel junkies are just people who have never spent time with a great three channel plane and don't know how much fun they really are.

You know, it MIGHT be fun to fly as a 3 channel aileron/elevator/throttle plane! With a little mixing that would give you flaps and ailerons, flaperons and/or spoilerons.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Nov 17, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,209 Posts
My Albatross is blast to fly. Here is a video with a two different key chain camera's I'm trying out. It will give you an idea of some of the capabilites of this trainer.

Albatross Key Chain Camera test #1 (7 min 15 sec)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,209 Posts
I also use the Albatross to fly FPV. Very stable as it's self righting in winds. I can concentrate on looking around and enjoying the view.

Albatross FPV (3 min 27 sec)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:15 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
970 Posts
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
I shot this video at one of our combat events.
It was shot from a stock Albatross with a GoPro rubber banded to the Fuse under the right wing.
masslaunch.MP4 (5 min 37 sec)
jetpackninja is online now Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,609 Posts
Super nice plane. Nice shots of the swarm too!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
More fun

Albatross Night Flight (4 min 8 sec)