SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
New Product
Nico Hobbies Simple Build XB-70 Valkyrie

Here's something new that I've been toying with for a little while. This will be one of the models available in the Simple Build series of kits that will be offered soon on my site.

This is the North American XB-70 Valkyrie!

Here are the stats:

Length: 49"
Wingspan: 28"
Expected AUW: 18oz

Motor: Supo 2212-6 2200kv
ESC: Suppo 30A
Servos: 2x HXT900 9-gram servos
Prop: APC 6X4E
Lipo: Hyperion G3 3S 2100mAh 25C
RX: Any micro RX will do (I use the XPS Nano-E)

I originally started this plane last year. Version one flew OK, but suffered from lack of structural integrity on the forward fuse. I think I've corrected that in v2, which is now built and ready for maiden this weekend. If all goes well, I'll put this one into production.

The pic attached is of Version 1. You can see that the forward fuse is just a single flat plate of foam. I have now added a cross section to add more rigidity.

All of the plans and decals posted here are for provided free of charge and are for personal use only. Any commercial use without the express written permission of Nico Hobbies is prohibited.

Pat Gagnon
www.nicohobbies.com/store
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Here's something new that I've been toying with for a little while. This will be one of the models available in the Simple Build series of kits that will be offered soon on my site.

This is the North American XB-70 Valkyrie!

Here are the stats:

Length:
Wingspan:
Expected AUW: 18oz

Motor: Supo 2212-6 2200kv
ESC: Suppo 30A
Servos: 2x HXT900 9-gram servos
Prop: APC 6X4E
Lipo: Hyperion G3 3S 2100mAh 25C
RX: Any micro RX will do (I use the XPS Nano-E)

I originally started this plane last year. Version one flew OK, but suffered from lack of structural integrity on the forward fuse. I think I've corrected that in v2, which is now built and ready for maiden this weekend. If all goes well, I'll put this one into production.

The pic attached is of Version 1. You can see that the forward fuse is just a single flat plate of foam. I have now added a cross section to add more rigidity.

All of the plans and decals posted here are for provided free of charge and are for personal use only. Any commercial use without the express written permission of Nico Hobbies is prohibited.

Pat Gagnon
www.nicohobbies.com/store
Nice work Pat! You are one smart man!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Thanks Eran! You should see this thing fly in a few weeks at Big Jolt.

Pat
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:57 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
OK, V2 is ready to maiden! Did some glide tests in the back yard to ensure proper CG, and would up digging the nose into the grass and breaking it off. Oops.

No worries, a little glue and good as new!

Right now with a 1600 lipo, AUW is 16.7oz/473 gr.

Pat
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:55 AM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
294 Posts
wow very cool...gotta add this to my build list
planecrazy1969 is online now Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:04 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,543 Posts
u gotta b kidding me.i just finished the Draken now u come and put another on my list...lol thnx for all ur good work
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:05 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Did the maiden today. Plane is severely tail heavy, need to figure out where to put the lipo as it may need to come out of the electronics bay.

Pat
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Did the maiden today. Plane is severely tail heavy, need to figure out where to put the lipo as it may need to come out of the electronics bay.

Pat
What if you run a 3 cell 2200 or bigger battery? Looks like there's some space on the pictures ya posted..Can ya push it forward? Just my 2cents ;-)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Eran,

Yes, that's my next step, move up to a 2100 and push it forward. I did a dry fit yesterday, and if my calculations are correct, even the 2100 will need to come out of the bay. But the V2 design may allow it easily and still "hide" the battery somewhat.

Pat
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
OK, finally got some time to work on the XB-70 today. I switched out the 1600 for a 2100, and put it all the way up under the canards. I think this should be a good place for the CG, even though the battery is sticking way out in front.

I did put a little white tape on the battery to help hide it some though.

I will try and get it flown tomorrow afternoon.

Pat
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,648 Posts
FWIW, I built a Dynamic Foamy XB-70, which is smaller, is not a prop in slot and uses a 370 battery (plans are wrong suggesting larger battery). AUW, fully painted (entire plane) was 7.6 oz.
In order to get the CG, I too had to move the battery out in front of the inlets, directly under the fuse spine (which is 18mm wide...3 pieces of 6mm glued together, which made battery mounting easy).
Rolls very well but doesn't like loops. Other than that, it is a nice parkflyer. Definitely looks good in the air.

When do you think you will be releasing this kit for sale on your website?
Did you experiment with bending the wingtips down?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Forgot to post an update on this one. Went out and remaidenend it with the battery under the canards. Way too nose heavy then. So I went home and moved it to where the wing meets the fuse. Hand launch was good and she flew off just fine. Only problem was I had way too little throw on the control surfaces. As soon as I banked into a turn she nosed down and would not respond to back pressure.

So now I need to build another. But I think I have it down now. I will need to tweak the plans a little based on the new battery location, and possibly make the control surfaces bigger.

So far still going to leave the wing straight.

Pat
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,648 Posts
Were you running the "thrust vectoring nozzles" connected to the elevons?

Just wondering if the airflow is stalling and perhaps it might be best to leave it fixed/open/not connected to the elevons?
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
No, they were straight across on V2, no thrust diverters this time.

Pat
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,648 Posts
When you banked and it didn't respond to back pressure, would it respond instead to aileron input to level out?