SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Discussion
Class C and D kits

Are there any suppliers of Class C and D kits and plans from the 50's to 70's? I'd like build a couple of these early FF models.
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,138 Posts
Outerzone has the following plans that may interest you:

Streamliner
Shoo-fly
Classy
Excelsior
Flyabout
Gismoe
Jabberwock
Pacer
Wanderer
Witch Doctor

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
Name the designs you're thinking about - very likely there's some source
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
There are several plans for C and maybe D size planes on the NFFS web site.
RamRod 750 and StarDuster 900 are two that are on the list.

The only current kit of that size that I can think of is the Satelite Super D. Kitted by BMJR.
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:48 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
There are several plans for C and maybe D size planes on the NFFS web site.
RamRod 750 and StarDuster 900 are two that are on the list.

The only current kit of that size that I can think of is the Satelite Super D. Kitted by BMJR.
Thank you all for the suggestions, I browsed BMJR and and was surprised to see a modified Series 70 Class D Satellite 1300 and such an excellent price. It's tempting, but I've settled on the 1000 version designed around the K&B 40 RR, rather than build around a 65-class powerplant. A kit of the 1000 seems nonexistent and so do plans, for some reason. Attached is a photo I shot of Bob Hunter launching his 1300 at the Lake Charles Nats on it's last flight.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
I found these two pictures. Unfortunately, the airfield in Europe are too small for such models.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducky View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions, I browsed BMJR and and was surprised to see a modified Series 70 Class D Satellite 1300 and such an excellent price. It's tempting, but I've settled on the 1000 version designed around the K&B 40 RR, rather than build around a 65-class powerplant. A kit of the 1000 seems nonexistent and so do plans, for some reason. Attached is a photo I shot of Bob Hunter launching his 1300 at the Lake Charles Nats on it's last flight.
The Satelite 1000 plans are in the NFFS catalog, along with the other sizes. You might have to manually scroll through the list. I couldnt get the search function to work.

N.
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
hold tight........the 1000 kit is underway.

thx for posting the shot of "Eldorado".........model is now in the hands of Team member Mike T.
satellite600 is offline Find More Posts by satellite600
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite600 View Post
hold tight........the 1000 kit is underway.

thx for posting the shot of "Eldorado".........model is now in the hands of Team member Mike T.
Norm - thx for the NFFS mention, I visit there, but have not seen the 1000 plans either.

Satellite600 - I'm sure you're referring to another "Eldorado" and not the one shown in the photo. Bob was flying a demo flight for media; it was the first flight out of the box from CA and he sent it up on a test flight ... full 15 sec engine run. Halfway through the power phase the airplane went left and hit the asphalt under full power. Nothing was left except confetti. Bob was shocked, but didn't rant or thrash about like I surely would have ... he simply told Bill shorter test flights were needed to adjust trims for the local conditions.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:09 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
The Satellite 1000 plans are in the NFFS catalog, along with the other sizes. You might have to manually scroll through the list. I couldnt get the search function to work. N.
Yes, NFFS has a variety of Satellite plans, including the 1000, however it is listed as the "GLH" version which I believe was developed later than the plans originally published in the May 1972 AAM. Pursuing the Series 70 version as designed in 1970 is important to me, since it was the Class C I was competing against at that time with a Starduster 900 powered by a hopped-up K&B 40 RR. During contests, my Stardusters could get higher than the Satellites, but couldn't glide as well. Plus, the Satellites were truly beautiful works of art. I always wanted one...
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Norm - thx for the NFFS mention, I visit there, but have not seen the 1000 plans either.

Satellite600 - I'm sure you're referring to another "Eldorado" and not the one shown in the photo. Bob was flying a demo flight for media; it was the first flight out of the box from CA and he sent it up on a test flight ... full 15 sec engine run. Halfway through the power phase the airplane went left and hit the asphalt under full power. Nothing was left except confetti. Bob was shocked, but didn't rant or thrash about like I surely would have ... he simply told Bill shorter test flights were needed to adjust trims for the local conditions.
actually i was talking about Bill's Eldorado.

flying on the Team with Bob and Bill you see a lot of duplication.
Bill's talent with Mylar was not by accident, but much admired. even more so was his talent with tissue.
many of us learned the right way to trim a Satellite vs the old typical big stab power settings. when Bob flew that model he had set every trim setting exactly like another 1300 that flew off the board......this one had the titch of extra HP that simply put it over the edge...........Bill's flew off the board.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
guys, if any of you want an original set of "70 series" plans, then send me a PM.

i'm not going to post the info here, but good things are in the works for those want to enjoy a blast from the past.
personally i believe and along with others, that the time has come for a new set of events which utilize pre Schnuerle engines and designs from the 62-71 yr period.
there are tons of them around, and even some still have parts available unlike the nostalgia engines which are becoming quite scarce and fragile to say the least.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:20 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Luckyducky,
I have a complete Bill Chenault 1100 sq. in. Mother of Pearl kit . I also have somewhere a partial kit with plans for a Satellite 1000 but there are pieces missing. I no longer have anywhere to fly large gas free flight and probably won't get to build them. PM me if you think you are interested.

Warren
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
AMA 179
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Luckyducky,
I have a complete Bill Chenault 1100 sq. in. Mother of Pearl kit . I also have somewhere a partial kit with plans for a Satellite 1000 but there are pieces missing. I no longer have anywhere to fly large gas free flight and probably won't get to build them. PM me if you think you are interested. Warren
Thanks for the offerings, can you tell me more about the Satellite kit, such as which version it is? Regards, Ed
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the offerings, can you tell me more about the Satellite kit, such as which version it is? Regards, Ed
I think it was a M&K (??) partial kit from the late 1970s. It's in so-so condition as it was given to me.The remaining wood looks good and as you can see the plans are a bit beat but very usable. It's yours for postage if you want it.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Leadchucker; Jul 11, 2012 at 04:17 PM.