SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
What next after my first trainer?

Howdy

I built a PT-40 last year and have mastered flying it. I built it with a training wing and installed a .46 engine. I'm looking for something sportier, but I don't want to get something over my head, so I wonder if anyone has advice on what my next plane should be, after graduating from a trainer?

I'm really considering two options: First, I'm considering building a sport wing for my PT-40 to replace my training wing and installing a .60 engine.

The other option is to buy an ARF. My PT-40 wasn't built totally straight and true, so it has a few flying quirks, and I want to see what it's like flying a plane that's been built right.

Any suggestions for my next plane? Thanks!!
joelroggenkamp is offline Find More Posts by joelroggenkamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:13 PM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,104 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...40-arf-HAN4100

Pulse XT-40
Currently on back order. A great flying plane that the gear from your trainer will work in. This is one of the best flying 40 size planes I have flown.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
What goes up must come down
USA, GA, Snellville
Joined Oct 2005
218 Posts
A good low wing "trainer" sport plane such as the SIG 4star 40/60 or the Great Planes Escapade 40/60. if you would like to build a kit the G P Ultra sport 40 /60 would be a good choice.

HTH

Jim
jfacky is offline Find More Posts by jfacky
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
I have the Sig Four Star 40. Haven't flown it yet, but it was an easy kit to build and looks great. I haven't ever flown either, but have heard good things about the escapade and the H9 pulse. Depending on if you want to do another kit or an ARF, the Tower Hobbies Uproar comes in a kit as well as and ARF. Then there is alwas a cub, decathlon or another scale type high wing plane. Go on youtube and watch a few of these different kinds of planes and see how they fly. Even when you aren't at the controls you can get a better idea if it would be the right plane to buy.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Just a suggestion here, Since you are a builder, Tower Hobbies sells a profile fun fly kit called the Fun 51. Its relativly inexpensive, builds fast and will fly differently than your trainer. You can use all the gear from your trainer, includeing your motor. Its not as radical a fun fly plane as some out there, but it will give you a break from trainer style flying.For the money, i'd take a look at it. I built one & have had motors from .40 to .55 size on it. Its small enough to throw in the car/truck to take to the field for a quick flight or two....If you want to go the ARF rout, a Hanger 9 Twist flies about the same & you could still use all your same gear....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Last edited by gene6029; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029 View Post
Just a suggestion here, Since you are a builder, Tower Hobbies sells a profile fun fly kit called the Fun 51. Its relativly inexpensive, builds fast and will fly differently than your trainer. You can use all the gear from your trainer, includeing your motor. Its not as radical a fun fly plane as some out there, but it will give you a break from trainer style flying.For the money, i'd take a look at it. I built one & have had motors from .40 to .55 size on it. Its small enough to throw in the car/truck to take to the field for a quick flight or two....If you want to go the ARF rout, a Hanger 9 Twist flies about the same & you could still use all your same gear....Gene
Sorry, I wouldn't recommend the Fun 51 as a second plane. Everything Gene said is true, but with the short coupled tail moment it can be a handful on the ground and in the air. Not a good transition plane from trainer to low wing tail dragger.
Maybe a good 3rd plane.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:24 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
762 Posts
Actually the Fun 51 handels quite well & doesnt have the short couple syndrome that some models have. It rotates in less than 10 feet off grass with a .40 & on low rates its still a blast to fly. I'll admitt on high rates it could be a handfull at first, but takeing off & landing on low rates negates that problem. My suggestion was basically an inexpensive alternative ( less than $50 for a kit) to a trainer type model that offers a different flying style to someone that has the ability to build & states he has mastered flying his current trainer. Sounds like the original poster is ready & willing to move foreward with his flying skills......Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,725 Posts
Ugly stick type of plane. A good utilitarian plane with a wide flight envelope.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
+1 excellent suggestion
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
It really depends on what style of flying you plan to do next. I like a twist
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,408 Posts
For my second plane I wanted big low-winged tail dragger that I could power with gas. My Pulse 125 is just about finished.

grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I would agree with either a Pulse or some kind of Stick plane. A Stick would be fun for you to build, as you have some building experience (they are pretty easy to put together).

You can get either in a 60-size!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
52 Posts
Hi Gang,
Hope I'm not too late to pipe up on this one. My son and I have both the 4 Star 40 and the Pulse XT. His is the Pulse. Anyway, either one will do you just fine. We've had both of ours for a number of years and they are always the first planes that we take out in the spring. They both fly great. If there is a difference I'd have to say the Pulse lands a bit faster than the 4 Star. Of course my son likes that as the faster it goes the better he likes it.

Joel
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
4star 40... bascially a low wing trainer.. floaty and easy to fly but still very capable. and strong as well.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:43 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Edwin
This. ...in a taildragger configuration
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H