HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
4 Beavers on other than GWS wheels, 3 on GWS floats that I built with flat bottoms, 1 C-47, 2 Corsairs, 1Me 109, 1 Spitfire, 6 BL Slow Sticks ( they fly much better with 5" off the fuselage ) 1 original Formosa BL powered, 1 TM 400 on 21"floats, 1 E-Starter on floats, 1 BN ( easily the fastest GWS ) and 1 Pico Moth.
All the GWS RC gear worked well including a couple of xmttrs.
Like others, I flew one of their P-51's and didn't care for it. The Me 109 and the Spitfire fly just great when set up with stock control movements. The Corsair is the best flyer, in my opinion.
The Beavers look nice on floats but the lack of ailerons makes water takeoffs tricky in the wind. The Beaver battery area is too small.
GWS comes up short in their marketing and production runs. The instructions need some touching up as to clarity and sequence. IMHO, GWS let too many others 'eat their lunch'.
Many owe their sucessful low cost entry into RC to GWS.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well, I didn't see this as a vendor forum. I was more interested in creating a place where those of us who still fly these planes could talk "GWS". I hope we will see some building tips show up to help out the new pilots who haven't built any of these planes.

I have not flown any of the planes in the new EPO foam yet,. So I would like to hear what people think about that and how if it affects the build - if it does.

I just got back from 3 more flights on my Moth 400 - about a dozen flights now. The plane has attracted a lot of attention at the field. Some used to have one, but most of the guys had never seen one before. It's a shame so many people know nothing about GWS planes. They are still a pretty good value for decent flying airplanes if you are willing to put in a little build time.

I don't have anything to do with GWS, but based on the interest other pilots - especially newer pilots - have shown in the Moth 400 so far, I thought it might be worth a new thread.

I haven't seen an E-Starter at the field in ages. It has to still be one of the better aileron trainers out there, and it is very inexpensive. The Pico Moths are another really good beginner airplane, and still very cheap. BUT, most of the newer pilots have never seen either of these planes fly. Too bad.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:05 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Building Tip

The GWS planes with ailerons generally use a unique torque rod system that uses a single server to operate the ailerons. One end of the torque rod is inserted into the aileron after you drill a very small hole.

Instead of glueing the wire straight into the aileron, cut off a short piece of the push rod tubing and glue that into the aileron. It is less likely to "tear out" over time. Then you can just insert the torque rod into the tubing when you attach the aileron. Don't glue it. Just let it slide free inside the tube.

Wolfe
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Building Tip

Most GWs planes come with the fuse in 2 pieces - right and left half. Before you glue the fuse halves together....

1. Test fit your battery and sand out the battery compartment so they will slide in and out with just a slight resistance. This insures a good fit so the battery doesn't move around, but you can still get it in and out easily.

2. Insert the push rod tubes and glue in a brace about halfway between the servos slot and the exit point so you can "TRAP: the push rods inside the fuse. This way they cannot bend inside the fuse, so you will get a much more precise transfer of motion from the servo to the control surfaces.

3. I use plain old elmers white glue to glue together the fuse halves. It has the advantage that you can use your finger to spread out the glue so you get a very "EVEN" distribution of glue. Then you can either tape or rubber band the fuse halves together while they dry - let it dry overnight - and you can easily wipe off an excess glue that "squeezes out" with a damp paper towell

Wolfe
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,217 Posts
Rob_P,

GWS Direct Drive props are available in black, gray, and orange. I don't know if the Slow Flyer props are available in any other color but orange.

Jim R...
...who is less colorful than he used to be...
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2003
922 Posts
I've got a Beaver with the stock 350 geared brushed motor that I fly. It's beat up, but still flies great. Squeezed a 1500 2s into the battery bay and it seems to fly for 30 min. Didn't time it yet.
I've got a Corsair that's also really beat up , cracked fuse in half a couple times. Just glued it again on the weekend.
I've also got 2 Slowsticks - One is the first plane I ever flew. Good memories with that one.
I'd like to get another GWS plane, but even at the price point of $100 with electronics, I don't think it will happen. If I do get another warbid, it will likely be the PZ Hellcat PNP for 120 bucks. Unfortunately, whereas GWS used to be the only choice for a low budget plane, things have changed.
I still love GWS, currently they're all I fly. Heck, they're pretty much all I've ever flown.
Rob.
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:50 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,387 Posts
I love the early GWS planes--especially the Pico Moth. Still have 3 of the Moths flying. Great little planes when you upgrade the electronics and power a bit. I have built about 8 moths and 4 Cubs and 1 Zero and many pico sticks.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The Pico Moth is one of my all time favorites too. I have one flying and one still in the box.

Wolfe
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
Edgewood, KY (Cincinnati)
Joined Jan 2004
190 Posts
I still have a Slo Stick and the Tiger Moth 400. The Slow Stick is a favorite. I actually kept her in the air for 45 minutes, thanks to a thermal. A great flyer, even is stock configuration.

I have the Tiger Moth 400 in moth balls, waiting for a brushless upgrade. It flew well with the stock equipment, but I'd like more out of her.

Another platform that begs for a brushless setup, is the Formosa. Mine didn't last long, but seemed like a stable, pattern flyer type plane. I'd like to order a slope version, and install a good brushless setup.

Don't know why I haven't gotten a Pico Tiger Moth. It and the Slow Stick must be the two most successful models prodcued by GWS.
Bruno Stachel is offline Find More Posts by Bruno Stachel
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Back in the day GWS imo learned a lot of new pilots including me the basics of building and the importance of weight and ballance.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I wish you could still get a Beaver - I don't know why they don't seem to making that one anymore. That was really the plane I finally learned to fly on, and used it to teach my kids to fly.

I had one once that I cut a bomb door into the bottom of the fuse and hooked up a servos so I could open it in flight and drop parachutes out of with little Buzz Lightyear figures attached. Grandkids loved that one

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Oct 24, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Formosa build is coming along slowly. Fuse halves glued together with push rods installed. All control surfaces cut out and sanded. Waiting for a coat of Min Wax Polycrlic/window washer fluid to dry, then I will and everything again.

Hope to get that done and all of the black plastic pieces glued in tonight. Probably going to use a HiMax 2015 - 4200 geared motor I already have. Not sure about that yet, but I want to keep this pretty light weight

Wolfe
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Ahhh - some good build tips already. These builds can be a little quirky so I was hoping that folks would post some of the build tricks they have learned.

I don't think GWS is anywhere near as popular as they used to be. I hardly ever see one at the fields where I fly anymore.

Thanks for the links to the other threads.

Wolfe
Really? Well, PM me where you fly out of and I come and show you my fleet of GWS planes

Got two Zeros, E-starter and three P-51D Mustangs.

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:46 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I wish you could still get a Beaver - I don't know why they don't seem to making that one anymore. That was really the plane I finally learned to fly on, and used it to teach my kids to fly.

I had one once that I cut a bomb door into the bottom of the fuse and hooked up a servos so I could open it in flight and drop parachutes out of with little Buzz Lightyear figures attached. Grandkids loved that one

Wolfe
Beaver was one of my favorite but, the weak link was the wing. If you do not have double up struts and the single strut setup gets lose the wing will fold and down it goes!

Those were in the days of heavy Ni-MH / Ni-Cd packs, of course

The Beaver was my 3rd GWS model that I owned.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
I love the early GWS planes--especially the Pico Moth. Still have 3 of the Moths flying. Great little planes when you upgrade the electronics and power a bit. I have built about 8 moths and 4 Cubs and 1 Zero and many pico sticks.
Very nice pictures!

Here is mine

RCG Plus Member