HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
How about a video of me attempting to land

No laughing allowed

750mm P-47 Take offs and Landings (2 min 32 sec)

BF-109

Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Last edited by Viper82; Jun 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Hey viper those were actually pretty good.

I don't know why, but the motor sounded really nice to me. So smooth!

I tell ya, the sound of motors and servos are music to my ears.

Oh ya, also that sweet swish of the bball when it hits nothing but net

Thanks for posting the vids! BTW, your runway looked a little bumpy, was that the the runway you were talking about?

My 'airport' is pretty good, but I'd recommend for places like that, take some of that firm carpet with you that they use for runners outside doors. They would be soo perfect! In fact, if you have too much time on your hands, add some nav lights along the edges haha!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Vipers airfield

Look out doggie!

Is that one of those airfield p-47's Viper?

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Astro,

Yep that's it, I still haven't racked it out or anything, I just kicked the big rocks out of the way and punched it It is a little bumpy down at the right side.. gotta fix that, but she's finally operational.

Blu,
Yep, Airfield 750mm P-47. She's a great flier.
Almost crashed it once today on approach, stalled and almost went in, saved it tho. Hard to judge speed when its coming straight @ ya.

That last landing was hard, watch the right landing gear in slow mo. That would have blown a tire on a real plane
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Cool! Is it on your property? You could always pour some cement in and paint some neat lines to make it look more real. That way you could use it in the winter too!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,903 Posts
Yep, couple hundred yards from where I sit now.

Wish I could pour concrete or pave it... Doubt that would go over well with my wife tho...
Maybe someday, I hope. It'll probably be after my 1.5 year old daughter graduates college tho. So maybe 20 years...
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Astro,
Checked out the Phoenix sim cable to dx5e
USB to interface box (inline) to mini stereo phone jack. This adapter cable works on all spektrum tx. The sim runs on xp up to win 7.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:16 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82 View Post
Yep, couple hundred yards from where I sit now.

Wish I could pour concrete or pave it... Doubt that would go over well with my wife tho...
Maybe someday, I hope. It'll probably be after my 1.5 year old daughter graduates college tho. So maybe 20 years...
Hey Viper, you could scheme this to go your way. All you would need to say is this

"Look Hun, If I pour cement on my runway, our daughter can use it to ride her big wheel or learn how to ride a bike on it. Also, It is a safe distance from the road as well, it would be a win win situation"

All you would need is a few hours and a couple bags of sakrete just enough to make a smooth surface...

And man, if that was an f4u in that picture it would definetly be a true depiction of the black sheep squadron in vella cava!

EDIT: OK just took a look at the runway, scratch the idea on bags of sakrete!

Also, to get it going reallllly off topic, here are some pictures of my other hobby...
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 23, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:59 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
Does anyone know what those planes are called you wing up in the air like a shotput? ( I think thats what they are called) there is a video on the side of a guy winging one up and it looks awesome. They arent powered by anything, just strictly glide...?
Are you thinking of a DLG (discus launch glider)? A few guys at the local field have them, I saw one float around for quite a bit of time, at the end of his run he did some loops and rolls, they look like fun!
Longshot 2 DLG bubble surfing (2 min 59 sec)
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:11 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
YEAH!!! Thats it! They look awesome.

Its amazing how they just scream into the air like that. Are the manufactured anywhere or are they DIY?

Im assuming an rx, 2 servos for aileron and elevator, and a 1cell pack? I think I might want to get one..
Last edited by GJOsik; Jun 23, 2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
YEAH!!! Thats it! They look awesome.

Its amazing how they just scream into the air like that. Are the manufactured anywhere or are they DIY?

Im assuming a few servos and an rx and thats it?
I've never looked into them but I know they can be pricey and most are a diy kit. Just a few servos, battery and Rx and you can keep throwing that thing all day long. The guys I've seen fly at Chandler bowl are very good at it. You can find more info here http://www.rcgroups.com/hand-launch-96/
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:31 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I'm still new at the whole thermal soaring thing, I just bought a Radian 2 months ago to start practicing. I took it to California and flew it along the cliffs of the beach, had a seagull soaring with me (within a foot or two) for a good 2-3 minutes, I have a great time with it!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:36 AM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I'm still new at the whole thermal soaring thing, I just bought a Radian 2 months ago to start practicing. I took it to California and flew it along the cliffs of the beach, had a seagull soaring with me (within a foot or two) for a good 2-3 minutes, I have a great time with it!
Thats awesome dude, I feel like gliders really show the true grace and art of flight. I remember when I was a kid tossing my big foam glider in the back yard.

Those DLG's sure do look like alot of fun...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:18 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Hey Viper,
I loved that low and slow pass of the Jug! It's a pretty nice flyer, huh?
I thought it was more of a speedster, belly-landing lipo gobbling brick, but was surprised to see a heckuva lotta grace and soaring ability.

Nice Jug!

Can't wait for my Nitroplanes replacement ESC gets here. Maybe I can actually ENJOY my 790mm T-28???
I call it the "790" now, because it's nose has been squashed so many times that it lost 10mm.
Anyway, Nitroplanes sent me out a new & bench-tested ESC for free after viewing this video of it's terrible handling and inevitable crash.

HEY BLU!
I'm working with Tamiyafan1975 to buy his brand new, but slightly-damaged PZ T-28D! I can't just buy it like the good ol' days. The wife put a clamp down on spending on my hobby. (I was outa control - 9 planes in 4 months!) Now I have to sell-off some stuff and use the $$ for new purchases.

Hopefully, within the next 7-10 days I'll have it...

I am very sick with this RC plane addiction. I've had a black 1970 Les Paul Custom for 35 years, (purchased as a teen with my 1st-ever tax refund!).
The guitar is now worth over $4000 and I have actually been eyeballing it to sell so I can feed my plank addiction!!!
This proves the depths of my very deep "problem."
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:01 AM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Wow that's a cool lizard dude!!!