HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
If the Rx turns out to be the problem I can't complain as this is would be one out of ten that has had a problem. At 30 to 50 bucks for the Spektum that's money that's allowed me to put allot more planes in the air. The nine other Orange Rx's I have in use have been fine. Of course I won't mention the a OEM with satellite Rx that's having severe (looses it in 25ft) range problems on my Bearcat.
Once I get it dialed in this plane will be allot of fun, looking forward to building a second one that will be amphibious. This one going to my Dad at 85 years old it's about his speed.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Last edited by zeroback; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
I didn't have chance to check anything yet but I got to thinking maybe it's not the Rx. There is another variable. All the other Rx's I'm using are bound to my DX6i. A fellow gave me this Tx a while back and I figured it would work for this plane for my Dad as all he has is old Futaba FM gear. I remember seeing another aftermarket brand of a 6ch DSM2/DSMx compatible Rx that stated it was not compatible with the 5ch Spektrum.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yes I can fit those 3 in one box.
Mike
You have mail......
Peteriaseda is offline Find More Posts by Peteriaseda
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:44 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
I didn't have chance to check anything yet but I got to thinking maybe it's not the Rx. There is another variable. All the other Rx's I'm using are bound to my DX6i. A fellow gave me this Tx a while back and I figured it would work for this plane for my Dad as all he has is old Futaba FM gear. I remember seeing another aftermarket brand of a 6ch DSM2/DSMx compatible Rx that stated it was not compatible with the 5ch Spektrum.
Not sure but I think that that radio is DSM2. This should work with the "other" receivers as they are DSM2 compatable.
The early DX5 and DX6 were DSM but not DSM2 which is why they do not work.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:45 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteriaseda View Post
You have mail......
Thanks.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,070 Posts
Easy fly cub

This is my buddies fathers day gift and he hasen't set it down since..lol

great landing with floats on the cub.avi (3 min 12 sec)

Flies like a dream
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is online now Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Not sure but I think that that radio is DSM2. This should work with the "other" receivers as they are DSM2 compatible.
The early DX5 and DX6 were DSM but not DSM2 which is why they do not work.
Mike
Would the DSM even appear to bind to DSM2? Then loose it in the air and connect again or maybe it works but has a very short range? I guess I might need to be asking this in the radio thread...although I've never received an answer to any question I ask there.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
633 Posts
hi guys. the original dx6 was on dsm- thats the one with the non bendable antenna, orange switches on the face. That only worked with the ar6000 receiver. The dx5 has always been dsm2.
Was there any lights blinking on the rx after you had crashed? That indicates that the rx lost battery power at some point in the flight. The ar6000 was only intended to be a 'park flyer' rx and doesn't really have great range abilities.
Hope that helps some.
Patric
PatricMichigan is online now Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
This Tx is labeled E-flite LP5DSM. The planes Rx was blinking when I pulled it out of the swamp. The plane was no more than 250ft away if that when I lost it. My question is would a DSM Tx even be able to link to a DSM2 Rx and just have very short range. I think I better clear up this question before I go chasing other possible causes. I'm looking for the receipt for the Rx so I can check the site I bought it from. Although as I recall it just said OrangeRx 4C.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
633 Posts
if its orange, it came from hobbyking I do belive.
That transmitter is a dsm2 even though it doesn't have the '2' on the end of its label. It came with the CX2 helicopters.
Those are kinda weird tx's- they are basicly always in bind mode- I've seen in an indoor setting where if someone is trying to bind a plane while someone else is flying with that tx the new plane will link to it.
Not sure what kind of output they had.
The blinking light indicates it has some sort of voltage issue. Next problem is... was that BEFORE the crash or after?
Patric
PatricMichigan is online now Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
This Tx is labeled E-flite LP5DSM. The planes Rx was blinking when I pulled it out of the swamp. The plane was no more than 250ft away if that when I lost it. My question is would a DSM Tx even be able to link to a DSM2 Rx and just have very short range. I think I better clear up this question before I go chasing other possible causes. I'm looking for the receipt for the Rx so I can check the site I bought it from. Although as I recall it just said OrangeRx 4C.
Zeroback,

The TX you are using is DSM2, but it was designed for the CX2 helicopter and if you call Spektrum to ask about using it for aircraft as I did, they will tell you that the 'L' in the 'LP5DSM' stands for low power, as it is meant for close proximity flying of the CX2. So you should not use it for flying aircraft outdoors, but it's probably fine for indoor use in smaller gymnasium flying sites? I retired/burned out the brushed motors in my CX2 long ago and now it just collects dust, but I did find a simple mod for my LP5DSM that allows me to use it as a buddy box for my son with my DX6i, which is fine since the DX6i is the box that transmits when we do this. Simply plugging in a buddy cord to another regular Spektrum radio, DX5e, DX6i, etc. will not work, because there's some issue with power at the trainer port on the LP5DSM that needs to be disabled first. I don't have an handy link to that mod at the moment, but it's probably not hard to find, and it's simple to do if you so choose. You simply cut a wire or 2, I can't remember, and then put heat shrink or electical tape over the ends to prevent shorts, and then close it back up and you're ready to use it as a buddy box.

I would suggest that if you're using the orange receivers already, just get your Dad one of the Spektrum clone orange transmitters that HK sells now. I thought I saw one for about $30 + shipping on their website just the other day, and it may have even been in the USA warehouse, I don't recall?
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thanks, sredlin for the info that saved allot work. I'll check out the HK USA site. If you run across the mod to make this a buddy box I would appreciate the link,at least it would get some use.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:09 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Zeroback, here's the link to mod the LP5DSM to a buddy box:

http://rcfunlab.com/articles/how-buddy-box-lp5dsm
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:14 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Joined Dec 2008
241 Posts
Zeroback, I meant to add that you should only use the LP5DSM as the slave TX when doing the buddy box thing for outdoor aircraft or you will likely experience the same range issues you are already familiar with if you set it up as the master TX.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thank you, thank you,I have two more EZ-fly's I'm doing a prerig (ARF +) on, for my nieces to decorate and complete. The buddy box will be of great help teaching them to fly
I am currently bidding on some used DX6i's. I already tried the HK route. $60.00 for a DX6i clone. They arrived on Monday from HK, but the box was smashed and I had to refuse delivery. It could be months, years, before HK (Chinese New year) straightens it out. I ordered after Christmas and before their new year hoping that the order would move along, and it did. Best laid plans of mice and men. But I'm sure they will. It took them 14 months to send some missing motor parts.