New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Caution: Noob in training
Australia, QLD, Redbank Plains
Joined Jun 2007
925 Posts
Discussion
Shipping li-ion overseas; what's the latest?

Anyone here have experience shipping anything li-ion powered overseas of late? From what I can see Australia Post still has the blanket ban in place, despite all the talk some time ago about basing it on certain watt-hours of power?

Are there any specific couriers to look at for example? I'm looking at sending out stuff in a few months, but it's going to be a right royal pain if I can't find anyone who can send li-ion at a decent price; might have to ship without a battery and get the batteries drop-shipped! Which rules out any bulk orders and adds magnitudes of complexity...

It's downright ludicrous that literally billions of items fly into the country with li-ion, but it's impossible to send a single one out! Unless of course you accompany it, no issue whatsoever with getting onto a plane carrying your phone, laptop, spare batteries...
RoGuE_StreaK is online now Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by Benagen
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
Lol I feel your pain!

Recently Australia Post which is totally government owned and has been for 200 years, announced the loss of 900 jobs

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million each year.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour, his salary package was estimated to be worth $4.8 million last year. Of this he donated about $2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia located in Melbourne.

The founder and director of the museum is former Macquarie Bank executive Moustafa Fahour - Ahmed Fahourís brother.

Moustafaís wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and director. The Fahoursí sister, Samira El Khafir, is head chef and manages the restaurant on site.

Hmmm...

In comparison the head of the US postal service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

The top federal public servants in Australia have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million? The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office while the CEO of the Gold Coast Council earning slightly less and thatís patently out of kilter with the PMís package. The Mayor of GCCC brings in $225,000 so how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.
Benagen is offline Find More Posts by Benagen
Old May 05, 2015, 05:13 AM
Find More Posts by Au_Wozza
Australia, SA, Elizabeth Downs
Joined Mar 2007
1,188 Posts
Hi
yep auspost wont send em overseas, quote form their site
"Lithium batteries are often in devices like watches, clocks, mobile phones and MP3 players. All lithium batteries are now classified as dangerous goods. They can't be carried by air.

Australia Post can't accept lithium batteries or devices containing them for mailing overseas or for domestic air carriage. These can only be transported within Australia by road transport."
you have to find a courier company that will handle them and foot the bill..plenty around
http://www.packsend.com.au/lithium-batteries
http://www.tnt.com/express/en_au/sit...cells_and.html
or start a petition
Au_Wozza is offline Find More Posts by Au_Wozza
Old May 05, 2015, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,334 Posts
Nice rant Ben. Shame it has nothing at all to do with the question asked.....

I understand TNT will ship Lithium batteries overseas from Aus but there are restrictions in place. I don't know the exact details so give them a call. Being classified as a dangerous good will mean it's probably going to be expensive.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old May 06, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by gouch
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benagen View Post

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour, his salary package was estimated to be worth $4.8 million last year. Of this he donated about $2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia located in Melbourne.

The founder and director of the museum is former Macquarie Bank executive Moustafa Fahour - Ahmed Fahourís brother.

Moustafaís wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and director. The Fahoursí sister, Samira El Khafir, is head chef and manages the restaurant on site.

Hmmm...
Let me get this right......

Some bloke, who makes a lot of money gives a heap of it to his brother, who started and runs a museum in Melbourne with his wife. The sister of the two brothers, who apparently knows how to cook is head chef at the restaurant.

Does all that mean we are going to be beheaded in a jihad?
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old May 06, 2015, 08:03 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_ View Post
Nice rant Ben. Shame it has nothing at all to do with the question asked.....Al
Thanks _AL_,
I Know my rant was implicit of a problem homogeneous at best and I
apologize to the author of the original post RoGuE-StreaK for adding non-vital additional content cluttering his information gathering efforts.

I also don't admit to drinking two bottles of white shortly before said rant and consequently crawling out of bed many hours later with funny looking caricatures and rare postage stamps on my back
Old May 06, 2015, 09:17 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouch View Post
Let me get this right......

Some bloke, who makes a lot of money gives a heap of it to his brother, who started and runs a museum in Melbourne with his wife. The sister of the two brothers, who apparently knows how to cook is head chef at the restaurant.

Does all that mean we are going to be beheaded in a jihad?
The "some bloke" you speak of being the head of AUSTRALIA POST, and "alot of money" being 4.8 million Australian tax dollars! Do you pay tax Gouch? if you do then some of that 4.8 mill is yours.

So whats your "fair share" threshold for the percentage of tax going directly to any Australian government owned enterprise CEO? Would you be happy to pay pay Mr Fahour $25 million taxpayer dollars per year for his services? to ensure everybody gets their mail and on time?

So out of the 4.8 million dollars in taxpayers money the CEO is paid as a salary package, 2 million is donated to his brothers vested interests? tax free? as a donation? I say again....Hmmm

Furthermore in regards to your final comment, I in no way implicated Mr Fahour's religious beliefs to be that of an islamic person as you assumed as in fact I do not know

Regards,

Benagen
Old May 07, 2015, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,334 Posts
While I don't think anyone is worth $4mil per year, please get your facts straight.
Not a single cent of his pay comes from tax.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benagen View Post
The "some bloke" you speak of being the head of AUSTRALIA POST, and "alot of money" being 4.8 million Australian tax dollars! Do you pay tax Gouch? if you do then some of that 4.8 mill is yours.

So whats your "fair share" threshold for the percentage of tax going directly to any Australian government owned enterprise CEO? Would you be happy to pay pay Mr Fahour $25 million taxpayer dollars per year for his services? to ensure everybody gets their mail and on time?

So out of the 4.8 million dollars in taxpayers money the CEO is paid as a salary package, 2 million is donated to his brothers vested interests? tax free? as a donation? I say again....Hmmm

Furthermore in regards to your final comment, I in no way implicated Mr Fahour's religious beliefs to be that of an islamic person as you assumed as in fact I do not know

Regards,

Benagen
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old May 07, 2015, 05:30 AM
Find More Posts by gouch
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,388 Posts
Bull^*it Benagen.

You ranted on implying there was some funky muslim thing going on. What I did was to remove all of that and tell it without your "twist". Your post read more like some conspiracy facebook post than anything else.

If you only had a problem with his $4.5M wage why even mention all the irrelevant dribble about how much he donates to his brothers muslim museum or how his sister cooks food there implying......well I'm not sure why you even mentioned that........why did you mention what he does with his own money? Not to mention who he gives it to, and who cooks there.

Quote:
I in no way implicated Mr Fahour's religious beliefs to be that of an islamic person as you assumed as in fact I do not know
"no way implicated"? what are you talking about?

but hey, It's pretty obvious what "team" he follows. I'm pretty sure if you're donating half your wage to a museum of a particular religion, you're going to be of that same faith. But so what? I couldn't care less what god he follows, or what he does with his money, he earned it. As long as he keeps AP (being a government owned company) making money then I say good luck to the bloke.

Is he worth that much?........ Seriously.......Who is? Is it a job limited for the top end of town and their mates? Obviously.

I'm off for a triple bacon sandwich.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old May 08, 2015, 08:21 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
Quote:
Bull^*it Benagen.

You ranted on implying there was some funky muslim thing going on.
Actually I ranted about Aussies loosing there jobs because people at the top get paid too much. To much to the point that they can "donate" 2 mill within their own family (very wealthy already) and use it as a tax deduction against the other 2.8 million.........whilst 900 Aussies loose their jobs and the cost of postage goes up.

In all fairness to your comment, previously in another post I did rant about the Muslim faith because I find the notion that "If you don't believe the same thing as us you should be killed" is just not worth the oxygen it takes to say it. And I am aware that ALL religion is the same. but lets face it, Islam is flavour of the decade.

Quote:
What I did was to remove all of that and tell it without your "twist". Your post read more like some conspiracy facebook post than anything else.
Facebook is pox.

Quote:
If you only had a problem with his $4.5M wage why even mention all the irrelevant dribble about how much he donates to his brothers muslim museum or how his sister cooks food there implying......well I'm not sure why you even mentioned that........why did you mention what he does with his own money? Not to mention who he gives it to, and who cooks there.
The fact that he can "donate" 2 million Aussie dollars tax free to his familys vested interests (foundered, directed, managed) and use it as a tax deduction I believe is morally bankrupt and shows huge flaws in the way our system works. Lets pay him 30 million so he can "donate" 25 million after all the government isn't struggling for a quid is it What does an Islamic museum IN AUSTRALIA need 2 million shmakos a year for? (rest aside the luminous wealth of the family already) to re-buy all the "ancient" Australian Islamic artifacts left over from thousands-no wait-hundreds-no wait-decades of Islamic population in this country? Why does our government need to take a profit hit to fund a family owned and run religious organization?

Quote:
"no way implicated"? what are you talking about?
Quote:
but hey, It's pretty obvious what "team" he follows. I'm pretty sure if you're donating half your wage to a museum of a particular religion, you're going to be of that same faith. But so what? I couldn't care less what god he follows, or what he does with his money, he earned it. As long as he keeps AP (being a government owned company) making money then I say good luck to the bloke.
Its not the religion so much, its the fact that it is his family and his actions seem to be a government sanctioned rip off.

Quote:
Is he worth that much?........ Seriously.......Who is? Is it a job limited for the top end of town and their mates? Obviously.

I'm off for a triple bacon sandwich.
Yummy!
Last edited by Benagen; May 08, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old May 08, 2015, 08:32 AM
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_ View Post
While I don't think anyone is worth $4mil per year, please get your facts straight.
Not a single cent of his pay comes from tax.

Al
Sorry should have used the term Revenue!

I read this as "Not a single cent of tax comes from his pay"

The more they pay out to these people the less there is to spend on the majority. The government is hurting pensioners and scrambling for dollars they don't have... maybe they could ask the Islamic museum for a loan, it wouldn't be on the terms of a AAA rating though