Old Jan 12, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by Jman841
United States, FL, Fort Pierce
Joined Dec 2013
894 Posts
Discussion
Pixhawk vs. Revolution

Hello,

I am trying to understand the advantages/disadvantages between the APM Pixhawk and the Openpilot Revolution.

The application I am trying to use them for is automated flight on a fixed wing platform, setting way points and having it fly very precise patterns.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two controllers both in terms of Hardware, software, and firmware?

Thank you!
Jman841 is offline Find More Posts by Jman841
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,100 Posts
I have only flown the APM and Pixhawk on airplanes. The Pixhawk is very advanced. One thing that I like is the redundant sensor capability and advanced navigation capability. Standard are redundant gyros, and accelerometers. Optional is redundant GPS, and magnetometers. Also it has a very nice mission planning and real time navigation program.

Exactly what are your accuracy requirements? Multi GPS should improve accuracy. Currently you can use two but they are already working on support for three and maybe four.

The Pixhawk and sensors are open source hardware so you have several vendors to choose from.

Pixhawk also supports 14 channels with the latest Airplane firmware. That's a nice feature.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 12, 2015, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2013
894 Posts
Very nice!

The new Revolution hardware from Openpilot seems to have quite a few great features as well for the cost, but, I don't know too much about either system as I am just learning about commercial UAS stuff. My background is with military UAS.

Openpilot is opensource firmware as well.

From my limited research it seems that there is also Paparazzi which is open source as well. Not sure what hardware it works with though.
Last edited by Jman841; Jan 12, 2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:29 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841 View Post
Very nice!

The new Revolution hardware from Openpilot seems to have quite a few great features as well for the cost, but, I don't know too much about either system as I am just learning about commercial UAS stuff. My background is with military UAS.

Openpilot is opensource firmware as well.

From my limited research it seems that there is also Paparazzi which is open source as well. Not sure what hardware it works with though.

I don't know much about those but when i was doing research a year ago many had good multirotor but not many had good airplane capability and if they did it didn't work very well. When getting information make sure it's applicable to airplanes. Multirotors are the big market and some manufacturers don't spend any effort on airplane navigation firmware.

Let us know what you find.

Old Jan 12, 2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by RCvertt
Joined Aug 2007
4,503 Posts
I'd put my money on the pixhawk. They were doing autonomous fixed wing plane stuff way before they added the multicopter features which are now just as good.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2015, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2013
894 Posts
awesome, thanks for the info guys!

It looks like there are tons of Pixhawk clones as well that are very low cost. Since it is opensource Hardware I have no doubt about it being build properly, my concern would be build quality I guess.

I would love to play around with a pixhawk on a Helicopter as well. I see they have some active developers in the heli world.

For fixed wing I am going to keep on reading. APM does seem to be the most heavily supported of all the opensource projects.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by marhar
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,494 Posts
I've been using APM on fixed wing for several years. In my experience, it's performed excellently.
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2013
894 Posts
Thank you, I think I will go with pixhawk and start learning all about it. Going to set up a cheap trainer plane to test with it on
Old Jan 13, 2015, 06:19 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841 View Post
Thank you, I think I will go with pixhawk and start learning all about it. Going to set up a cheap trainer plane to test with it on

For starters you donít really need the airspeed probe. It does a fantastic job computing wind and airspeed using GPS and INS data. The only time you really need an airspeed probe is for auto-landings. You can test fly without and add it later if you like. No probe is simpler to setup and you have one less thing to calibrate.

Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Nov 2011
373 Posts
Ive used APM from v1 to v2.4 which is pretty much working around the same fw principals and its a great product and great project to be part of. I also have been using Openpilot since its CC board days and now have 2 Revolutions as well. Openpilot is a great product, but the administrators who run the project are a real pain. Have a read here. Its supposed to be open source, buts its really a private boys club run by grumpy old men more like it. There is nearly never any hardware available,, and if you disagree with anyone of them, they ban you from any access to the forums. Also there are many better options now days and the virtually closed house attitudes has seen it really drag behind.
SkippyTBK is offline Find More Posts by SkippyTBK
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:38 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyTBK View Post
Ive used APM from v1 to v2.4 which is pretty much working around the same fw principals and its a great product and great project to be part of. I also have been using Openpilot since its CC board days and now have 2 Revolutions as well. Openpilot is a great product, but the administrators who run the project are a real pain. Have a read here. Its supposed to be open source, buts its really a private boys club run by grumpy old men more like it. There is nearly never any hardware available,, and if you disagree with anyone of them, they ban you from any access to the forums. Also there are many better options now days and the virtually closed house attitudes has seen it really drag behind.

The Pixhawk is far superior in both hardware and software. Most of the new firmware options are not available in APM because of hardware limitations (processor power and memory). All the firmware options that I wanted and more have been added. They now have 14 channels and redundant sensors. I have dual GPS and other sensors on my long-range aircraft.

Old Apr 22, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon
@OmniFoxAerial
Joined Mar 2015
91 Posts
I have zero experience with other controllers and am new to uav building in general, but I went with the hkpilot32 pixhawk clone. With a cautious approach and obsessively reading every bit of documentation I can find, I've been very successful and happy. Hopefully I'll be able to donate to the project soon and show my appreciation
MarioSpeedwagon is offline Find More Posts by MarioSpeedwagon