Fall Colors (3 min 29 sec)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:15 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,840 Posts
Nice one Mike B. Love it. This thread has been deathly quiet. Glad to see somebody out flying.

I'm massively jealous that you got to fly in the fall colors. I've been off-line for like 4 months since my crash down near Monument Valley. Been trying multi-rotors for 4 months, built four of them, and crashed them all. I don't have a problem flying them, they're easy to fly, I just can't build one that's reliable.

So I'm taking a break for a bit and working on something with wings that doesn't have 418 fail points like multi-rotors.

Just gotta mount the motor and my new Hercules Pusher FPV will be ready to maiden. Hopefully be able to post some new footage in a few weeks. Hopefully there'll still be some color in the leaves when I get up into the mountains.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Awesome video. Where are you guys flying your wings? I live in Cortonwood Heights and would like to hook up with someone local. I also have an FPV quad.
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Ya,

It's sure been quiet in here.

I had to tear parts off of the hex in order to build the F wing, but I finally got both of them running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Nice one Mike B. Love it. This thread has been deathly quiet. Glad to see somebody out flying.

I'm massively jealous that you got to fly in the fall colors. I've been off-line for like 4 months since my crash down near Monument Valley. Been trying multi-rotors for 4 months, built four of them, and crashed them all. I don't have a problem flying them, they're easy to fly, I just can't build one that's reliable.

So I'm taking a break for a bit and working on something with wings that doesn't have 418 fail points like multi-rotors.

Just gotta mount the motor and my new Hercules Pusher FPV will be ready to maiden. Hopefully be able to post some new footage in a few weeks. Hopefully there'll still be some color in the leaves when I get up into the mountains.

I'm in North Ogden

There are 4 of us up here flying FPV, but right now I am the only one who is very active...

Nate is in Kaysville, and he is quite an active flier also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe View Post
Awesome video. Where are you guys flying your wings? I live in Cortonwood Heights and would like to hook up with someone local. I also have an FPV quad.
Me and Nate got up to Mantua today and got in some great flying...

Mountain FPV Hexacopter (4 min 42 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
That's great. If you guys don't mind, let me know when you go out again and I'll join you.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe View Post
That's great. If you guys don't mind, let me know when you go out again and I'll join you.
That would be great.

I'm pretty sure that I am going down to Southern Utah this next week, but Next weekend should be open for some FPV activity; "Weather Permitting".
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Ok, count me in. Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
31 Posts
So I'm way amature compared to most of you on here. I don't have any FPV gear, and only fly my quad where I can see it. I'm also just starting out. So this week I thought I'd head to one of the city park while all the kids were in school and practice a little in keeping it steady and having it actually go where I want it to.

Storm Drone FF on the playground (2 min 5 sec)

Like I said . . . . I'm just learning and practicing!
UTrider is offline Find More Posts by UTrider
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
For all y'all that care about making sure the future of FPV is protected in some way...
http://www.nextgov.com/defense/2012/...-caucus/58442/
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Mar 2010
452 Posts
**Ariel Video Opportunity tomorrow at 9am near Lehi**

Hey guys I have a friend who is doing some filming for a college project. He sent me the following via email:

"We're filming a stagecoach out by Lehi this Thursday from 9-11am, we need an rc pilot to do a quick fly over. They could use my supercub and gopro if that would help."

This is a volunteer opportunity. I would do it but I'll be working. Sounds like fun if someone is available.

Contact Brent at

brentseavers at gmail dot com
the_walrus is online now Find More Posts by the_walrus
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Do any of you guys use dragonlink?

I'm looking to start doing fpv and will be purchasing the dragonlink.

I'm new to fpv, and not sure what all I need to purchase to be up and running with fpv?

Any help would be great.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
What video frequency are you going to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post

I'm new to fpv, and not sure what all I need to purchase to be up and running with fpv?

Any help would be great.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
Not sure, I am completely new to fpv. What would you suggest to start with?

I like the fact that the dragonlink has a 15 mile range.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
322 Posts
I will be using a Jr11x for the radio if that helps. Not sure if there is interference with 2.4ghz or not.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspawn78 View Post

Any help would be great.
I use the Dragonlink system and love it. It's super simple and I have never had it fail. I'm currently using a Futaba 9CAP tx and plug a Futaba trainer cord from the DL transmitter into the 9CAP. It's plug and play and makes it really easy.

I noticed you asked about video tx freqs. I use both a 5.8 setup and a 1.3. My 5.8 is a quick and easy solution for shorter range flying. I have it hooked up just using a pair of Fatshark goggles using a set of blue-beam antennas. As for the 1.3ghz, I use this on my wing and get great results for longer ranges. I use a patch antenna on the ground and a V in the air.

I have always purchased my Dragonlink equipment direct. Readymaderc.com is now also carrying their complete package but I think Tim is out of sock on the DL right now.

http://www.dragonlinkstore.com/v2/node/32

The $269 package has everything you need to get started. The only thing that you need to decide is how long of an antenna cable you need based on your application. Really easy.

I would be happy to help with any other questions. I'm sure the other guys on this forum will also have some good info.