SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2014, 01:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555 View Post
mine is finally covered and ready for paint, the engine has been disassembled and the timing kit is here, I'm trying to decide which way to go on colors and what products to use, If I can get a translucent finish I'd love it. pics coming soon sam
Glad to hear it Sam, looking forward to the pics.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2014, 09:17 AM
Nashua, NH
Joined Nov 2008
184 Posts
Try acrylic ink and WBPU

I got a really great translucent finish by mixing acrylic ink into
water based polyurethane.

I used the mixture to paint a Leisure playboy that I covered in Doculam.

The ink I used is called Liquitex. I bought mine at the local Michaels.

I used a foam brush to apply the polyurethane.
Brian76239 is offline Find More Posts by Brian76239
Old Aug 05, 2014, 11:42 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
HarryD

You've been quiet since you sneaked in with the Spearhead and Swayback - any news of the 150% Kerswap? After all you only have five months left!
Hi George. Thanks for asking!

The Kerswap is coming along, but much more slowly than I was expecting. The main reason for that is the absolutely amazing weather we've had here this summer. Nearly every day for the last couple of months has been flyable, and I've been taking full advantage of that. Normally, we consider ourselves lucky to get one semi-decent flying day a week (and that, combined with our 4-month flying season, is one of the reasons I do a lot of building).

I think I've got in more flying so far this year than I have in the last five seasons combined. My Swayback, Spearhead, and Murg - all completed earlier this year due almost entirely to the incentive provided by your buildoff - have all made dozens of most enjoyable and satisfying flights. And I will definitely be finishing the Kerswap this year, so I can get it in the air before the snow arrives once again.

The fine weather is also my reason (excuse?) for goofing off on the build logs for the Swayback, Spearhead, Murg, and Kerswap that I promised. They WILL get done, eventually.

Below is a picture of where I'm at with the Kerswap. The wing (started last month) is mostly done. I built the fuselage a year or so ago, and I still have to start on the tail feathers. (BTW, the plan those parts are sitting on is for my next one, a 300% (90" span) version of the Comet Gull II.)

Oh, and I will definitely be taking part in your Amplan (or whatever it ends up as) buildoff. My must-build list currently has at least a dozen models that would probably fit, and my main problem is going to be picking which ones to enter.

Now, off to the field!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Aug 05, 2014, 02:47 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,556 Posts
Looks great Harry, and I'm glad you are having a good flying season. Ours was not as good as normal up to the end of July, lots and lots of rain and much more wind than normal. However, since getting back from a trip to the UK on 31st July, it has been idyllic and I have been making up for lost time, like you this is detrimental to building progress on the Avian. Also glad you are getting full value from the Murg, Swayback and Spearhead - just what I hoped would result from this build off, models in the air rather than half finished ones in the workshop! I gather you are now happier with the Murg having shed some weight!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2014, 10:33 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
565 Posts
sky buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian76239 View Post
I got a really great translucent finish by mixing acrylic ink into
water based polyurethane.

I used the mixture to paint a Leisure playboy that I covered in Doculam.

The ink I used is called Liquitex. I bought mine at the local Michaels.

I used a foam brush to apply the polyurethane.
that looks like what I want, i have 2 wings that aren't doing anything, so I figured I'd play with those. I'm going to try a little stain mixed with poly I want a golden color with green trim the framework looks good enough to pull it off, we have a michaels here so the ink shouldn't be a problem to get if the stain doesn't work. I also have some trasnparent airbrush paint so there's some other options. I've got a little time to get it painted while i get the engine built lol sam
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:23 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,556 Posts
I'm glad to be able to report that John38's lovely Cumulus enjoyed a very successful first day out and is now well and truly test flown.

Progress has continued on Owlsabies Electra, Slam555's big Sky Buggy and Sky Jiver's Sporty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:25 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,487 Posts
Doculam

Brian, your post #137, I love the blue effect. Is the blue translucent finish (acrylic ink into water based polyurethane), applied on the outer or inner Doculam surface?
Did you do any surface preparation to the Doculam?

I tried painting the inside layer of the Doculam,
post #23 and 25
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2127412&page=2
Presently this project is taking the summer off.

Lastly, is the yellow trim also from an ink?

Thanks.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:12 PM
Nashua, NH
Joined Nov 2008
184 Posts
Applying the translucent finish

John,

I prepared the surface of the doculam by lightly buffing the surface
with some 400 grit sandpaper.

I then cleaned up all my oily fingerprints with a paper towel soaked
with denatured alcohol.

The ink / polyurethane was applied with a wide foam brush.

Do a small area and keep the brush moving to avoid runs.

Wear some disposable latex gloves to keep that stuff off your hands.

Regards,

Brian76239
Brian76239 is offline Find More Posts by Brian76239
Old Aug 25, 2014, 06:50 AM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
565 Posts
doculam

I'm going to put dye into poly, and spray it, I'll prep it by wiping the plane down with vinegar to etchthe surface, theres no waiting a week like withthe latex, as soon as its dry tape won't peel it off

I was goint to do it this weekend, but had to work,, along with labor day too, so I'll have try to get it done at night.
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:01 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,487 Posts
Thanks for the info; I'll add it to the Doculam thread.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R