HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
Wind Powered
george@dream-flight's Avatar
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone Hadron

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplan...610/index.html


Interesting.....great shape.
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
I just noticed that too. Looks like a Scimitar killer. Will be on my radar!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:48 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Looks like a Scimitar killer.
LOL That is ridiculous

This is not nearly as good looking, it is smaller, and less powerful (slower) than the Scimitar.

Moreover, at $119 for the Scimitar you get much more plane and value IMO with Eflite electronics backed by HH.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
I doubt it will be slower. With 4s and 2200kv motor I think it will be fast like a Stryker. The reason the Scimitar flopped is because everyone thought it would be as fast and agile as the Stryker. This has all of the makings of the Stryker with thrust vectoring too

ps The only reason HH sold out the Scimitar at the $119 was because it is a flop. Do you remember how much it was a year ago when it hit the market?.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,321 Posts
Without inside knowledge from HH, you cannot really speak with any real knowledge of why it flopped.

IMO I think it had nothing at all to do with top end speed or agility. I think it was simply grossly overpriced for what it is.... Priced at $279/$399 no one wanted this, but set the price at $119 and they sell out all remaining stock- that speaks volumes.

If people were disappointed with its performance (speed or agility), no one would buy it no matter the price.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:16 PM
Wind Powered
george@dream-flight's Avatar
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Ha! Fentonflyers FTW.
NOBODY lowers the price because something sells well. Why does every thread have to become a brand vs. brand pissing match?
Keep drinking the Kool Aid pal.
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:27 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george@dream-flight View Post
Ha! Fentonflyers FTW.
NOBODY lowers the price because something sells well. Why does every thread have to become a brand vs. brand pissing match?
Keep drinking the Kool Aid pal.
Not sure and I am sure not trying to cause it. I just made that comment in jest. I have a Scimitar and like most everything about it. I think this plane might have many of the traits that the Stryker has with the addition of thrust vectoring. That's what I first thought the Scimitar would be, but I don't think that was Quique's intent. With the Hadron it looks as though you have the option of 3 or 4s power. I like what I see!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:56 PM
Registered User
THESANDMAN's Avatar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,655 Posts
looks interesting . looks like an alternative to the styker q . if priced right im going to get one "being i love flying wings" .and its looks like it can be modded out for extreme speeds
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,718 Posts
Just lurking here...

Was assigned this project early in development after the designer made and flew the first prototype, then we cut/built one, than another in the shop. When first assigned the Hadron (working name was the "flying wing" at the time) I was lukewarm to it - not a huge flying wing fan or "foam guy" either. But after the first outing it immediately won me over! Absolutely a dream to launch - just toss it overhanded and it accelerates the moment it leaves your hand.

I don't know if you would call it fast or not - all relative I guess. With a radar gun straight-and-level we get about 80mph on the included 2200kV outrunner on 3S (forget the prop size at the moment - something like 6.0 x 5.0 ?) and around 90mph on 4S with a smaller prop (4.75 x 4.75, but don't remember for sure). Anyway, it looks pretty fast!

Slows to a crawl for landing and handles slow speed flight extremely well too. With the vectoring activated it flat spins like a fool - rotates around itself and I swear I could see it actually ascending while flat spinning a few times! It's absolutely crazy.

For general flying around you want the vectoring off and for flat spins and other crazy stuff turn the vectoring on. The vectoring is controlled by its own servo, so set up the rudder servo and vectoring servo on a mix that can be activated/inhibited at will.

Like I said, it didn't do much for me until I got it in the air. Now I'm absolutely in love with it and it looks bad-ass in the air too! Should be some images with all trim appearing sometime soon.

Attached is an image I found elsewhere on "Groups" from one of our guys taken at the the Nuremberg International Toy Fair where the Hadron is making it's debut (I think this is a hand-made sample - not from tooling, so it'll look even better when it goes into production).

Edit:
3S 2200mAh 30C LiPo 6.0 x 5.0 prop, 33A/360W/23,630rpm (static)
4S 2200mAh 30C LiPo 5.0 x 5.0 prop, 40A/590W/29,763rpm (static)

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:42 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Thanks for the input Tim. Can you give some perspective regarding size?
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:49 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,718 Posts
If you open the link in the original post there are a few basic specs on the page - the span is 33.5" I believe it states.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:29 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Thanks for the photo. Seems about the size of the Stryker. I am not sure if you have flown a Stryker or a Scimitar for that matter. I am hoping this is more like a Stryker than the Scimitar. The Scimitar is big and it feels like the wing loading is higher. It will snap and doesn't elevator like the Stryker. I agree it is fun to get the boomerang turned way up with the thrust vectoring. Thats one of the things I like to do with the Scimitar. It gets everyones attention.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:40 AM
Registered User
Phoenex's Avatar
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Looks Good Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Just lurking here...

Was assigned this project early in development after the designer made and flew the first prototype, then we cut/built one, than another in the shop. When first assigned the Hadron (working name was the "flying wing" at the time) I was lukewarm to it - not a huge flying wing fan or "foam guy" either. But after the first outing it immediately won me over! Absolutely a dream to launch - just toss it overhanded and it accelerates the moment it leaves your hand.

I don't know if you would call it fast or not - all relative I guess. With a radar gun straight-and-level we get about 80mph on the included 2200kV outrunner on 3S (forget the prop size at the moment - something like 6.0 x 5.0 ?) and around 90mph on 4S with a smaller prop (4.75 x 4.75, but don't remember for sure). Anyway, it looks pretty fast!

Slows to a crawl for landing and handles slow speed flight extremely well too. With the vectoring activated it flat spins like a fool - rotates around itself and I swear I could see it actually ascending while flat spinning a few times! It's absolutely crazy.

For general flying around you want the vectoring off and for flat spins and other crazy stuff turn the vectoring on. The vectoring is controlled by its own servo, so set up the rudder servo and vectoring servo on a mix that can be activated/inhibited at will.

Like I said, it didn't do much for me until I got it in the air. Now I'm absolutely in love with it and it looks bad-ass in the air too! Should be some images with all trim appearing sometime soon.

Attached is an image I found elsewhere on "Groups" from one of our guys taken at the the Nuremberg International Toy Fair where the Hadron is making it's debut (I think this is a hand-made sample - not from tooling, so it'll look even better when it goes into production).

Edit:
3S 2200mAh 30C LiPo 6.0 x 5.0 prop, 33A/360W/23,630rpm (static)
4S 2200mAh 30C LiPo 5.0 x 5.0 prop, 40A/590W/29,763rpm (static)

Tim
We have been waiting far too long for a quality EPO foam, US designed pusher prop jet sold in the US with parts and service. Can you give us a little more information about the airframe construction? The company page lists Aero-cell foam with ABS and Carbon Fiber.

I know you have little to do with the marketing of this plane. I would like you to pass on these thoughts to those making these decisions of offering RTF and TxR only for this model and others. Most modelers already have radios they are using and want to use them without adding a TX add-on or being force to buy and then removing and selling the rx just to fly these planes. The fact is, it makes one think twice if they even want the plane if they are only sold this way. I understand that Horizon sells BNF which is the same as TxR, but the BNF rx are compatible with nearly the whole range of radios they sell without adding an add-on TX module. Horizon is also offering PNP models of the same plane except for the ultra micro and and now some larger as3x models (which I hate not having a pnp option), another big mistake. We want choice and to do that we need RxR or PNP and ARF. I don't say this lightly. Some of us want to customize the plane with our own electronics and choose our radio system. Others welcome factory electronics if they are quality and well thought out then add the radio system of choice. The bottom line is we want ability choose and customize to our own liking. <<End of Rant>>
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:10 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Almost 600 watts on 4s. Promissing!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:02 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
We have been waiting far too long for a quality EPO foam, US designed pusher prop jet sold in the US with parts and service. Can you give us a little more information about the airframe construction? The company page lists Aero-cell foam with ABS and Carbon Fiber.

I know you have little to do with the marketing of this plane. I would like you to pass on these thoughts to those making these decisions of offering RTF and TxR only for this model and others. Most modelers already have radios they are using and want to use them without adding a TX add-on or being force to buy and then removing and selling the rx just to fly these planes. The fact is, it makes one think twice if they even want the plane if they are only sold this way. I understand that Horizon sells BNF which is the same as TxR, but the BNF rx are compatible with nearly the whole range of radios they sell without adding an add-on TX module. Horizon is also offering PNP models of the same plane except for the ultra micro and and now some larger as3x models (which I hate not having a pnp option), another big mistake. We want choice and to do that we need RxR or PNP and ARF. I don't say this lightly. Some of us want to customize the plane with our own electronics and choose our radio system. Others welcome factory electronics if they are quality and well thought out then add the radio system of choice. The bottom line is we want ability choose and customize to our own liking. <<End of Rant>>
Not taken as a rant Mr. Phoenex. Your message was well-thought-out, well-written and tactful (thank you very much!).

I agree with you - need Rx-R (airframe, motor, ESC, servos, no Tx or receiver) and/or ARF (empty airframe only). I don’t know what the marketing plan for this bird is – although the pre release in the link in the original post mentions only Tx-R “prime” and RTF, there may be an ARF or Rx-R in the plan. Last year we released our Calypso in four versions – ARF being one of them (without servos, motor, ESC as you suggest). Of the four, the ARF was the last to become available, so it may be the same for the Hadron. I will be certain to copy a link to your post to the product manager and marketing dept. though.

Regarding materials/construction, the Hadron is made from AeroCell which is EPO foam as you alluded. The aft turtledeck/hatch (to which the vertical stabilizer is attached), vectoring mount assembly, nose and main skid covers will be ABS or similar. The main spars are slated to be carbon, perhaps aileron spars and an internal tube running the partial length of the fuselage.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KRProton; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Flyzone Beaver, Flyzone C350 Corcalis, TH P-51 JimVanLoo Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 08, 2013 01:15 PM
Alert Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider FL Knifemaker Life, The Universe, and Politics 48 Sep 04, 2010 08:38 AM
Discussion Live webcam from the CERN Large Hadron Collider Arbo Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Apr 04, 2010 02:17 PM
Discussion Great news: Large Hadron Collider [U]probably[/U] won't destroy Earth lakedude Life, The Universe, and Politics 53 Dec 19, 2009 11:00 AM
Discussion Large Hadron Collider... Oh the loonies. Accu157 Life, The Universe, and Politics 48 May 14, 2008 01:39 AM