Discussion
Of All Of The Cox Foamies Which Was The

lightest, best performing?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,433 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess and say it was probably the all foam .15 sized P-51 stunter from the early mid 60's. IIRC it had one of the reed valve rear intake engines. Now that i think about it it may have been a Sterling ready to fly ship. Anyone recall that one?
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
The best flying Cox was the FW-190 that came with an engine as I remember. It was a set of formed sheet foam wings that wrapped around a spar. It used a balsa profile body. It was very light and flew great as long as you did not do wingovers indoors cross wise to the rafters! Look at the bottom of page 66 of the April 1985 Model Aviation.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,959 Posts
Cox Spook.. hands down! In my experiences the one and ..only... Cox ARF that actually flew like a diy model.
Fragile though.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
"Cox Spook.. hands down! In my experiences the one and ..only... Cox ARF that actually flew like a diy model.
Fragile though. "

I have a Spook, in very good condition, but will never fly it due to its age. It does look quite fragile (also like it wouls fly really well).

It is not a foamy, though.

The foamies I remember were the Me-109, the Chipmunk, and the Crusader (there were two versions of the Crusader-one with swept wings and one with a straight wing).

I think there may have been one or two more, but after I was out of the hobby for a while.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
I think that there was only a single wing for all of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy Arnold View Post
The best flying Cox was the FW-190 that came with an engine as I remember. It was a set of formed sheet foam wings that wrapped around a spar. It used a balsa profile body. It was very light and flew great as long as you did not do wingovers indoors cross wise to the rafters! Look at the bottom of page 66 of the April 1985 Model Aviation.
TTBOMK, the Chipmunk and the ME-109 shared the same wing.
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi