Closed Thread
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
Discussion
Thread Closed

Sorry if you got the wrong idea everyone. This thread was started because of an event concerning the subject discussed in this thread. I know the hassle it takes to pack an item and ship it. I know you are not all like that. It is even better that many people are generous enough to give away things! Maybe my judgement was wrong if it was forgive me. Please don't hate me for this.
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Last edited by AirplaneFreak100; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I wonder if you would be okay with the giver dropping the item of at UPS/fed-ex and have them PACK and ship the item. They charge around $10 for their boxes and $10 for tape.

If someone were to get nit-picky with me on shipping, I would ask them to pay actual shipping charges for the UPS store to do all the work.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:55 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
Ok. Also if they want to make a profit i think they should put it in the for sale part. A guy recently bought a transmitter and had to pay a whole lot for shipping and the product new cost less than the price offered.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,552 Posts
First you post about free items then you post about purchased items. Which is it?

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
i made a mistake i mean got for free thanks for noticing
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,342 Posts
If I sell anything, I box it up, measure it, and then weigh it. Then I go to the Canada Post website (USPS in the USA), and figure out how much it would cost to send it via the most economical means to the furthest point in North America. That's the price I quote for shipping. If it turns out to be less, I'll refund the difference. Usually I have boxes lying around, but if I had to go out and buy boxes, tape, and then drive across town to a post office, it would only be fair to add a couple of extra bucks.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, WI, Hudson
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Barbados. Great weather, expensive shipping. USPS price to Barbados: $16.95 for a DVD sized box to $43.35 for a four pound box, 6-10 day delivery. You can spend more if you want it faster. Move to Omaha for cheaper rates.
djgdjg is offline Find More Posts by djgdjg
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
Here's my gripe: I live in Alaska and shipping here is expensive.

Let's say that an ad for something I want is $200 and that shipping is included... I normally contact the seller and say something along the lines of "I'd like to purchase your item but how much more will you charge me for shipping?" 9 times out of 10 the person will get my zip and tell me that the charge for shipping to my zipcode is $30 so now the total goes up to $230!

The person was going to eat the cost of shipping when they first put that ad up but now they're effectively adding the cost of shipping on to their item and "charging" me for the cost of shipping that item within the lower 48 (if all of that makes sense). Ugh.

Yes, I can and have negotiated but most of the time that's the result.

I feel your pain djgdjg.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirplaneFreak100 View Post
i made a mistake i mean got for free thanks for noticing
That's cool. Just send me a case of Mount Gay. I'll pay shipping.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
I guess I don't understand the problem. Just like any other transaction, if you don't like the price don't buy it. If it's free but you don't like the shipping fee, don't get it.

I've given some stuff away. If you're local, come pick it up. If you're not, don't expect me to pack it up, pay for shipping materials, drive to the PO and ship it to you for free.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:34 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
Yea!!! I eat shipping to the lower 48 and charge actual cost to worldwide without charging for packing materials or the trip to the PO. Cost of being competitive in this market.
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Yea!!! I eat shipping to the lower 48 and charge actual cost to worldwide without charging for packing materials or the trip to the PO. Cost of being competitive in this market.
We're not talking about selling we're talking about free items. Not too many people will give you something for free and ship it to you at no cost. If that's what you do, that's great but most people won't.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
I really thing it is obvious that if someone places something in the free section and gives a set price for shipping isn't sensible because the person selling doesn't know the address of the person buying so it is obvious they are trying to make a profit off free items. I don't know if anyone has ever thought this over yet?

I don't think this should be happening in the free section i think the person should be queried about the cost of shipping before and there are also shipping calculators which can be used to see if that is the real shipping price.

Just a Thought open for discussion
I've given things away for free before. Not so much anymore because of people with attitudes like yours. I throw it in the garbage ,no whining, no acusations, no hassels.
My 2 cents.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
I really thing it is obvious that if someone places something in the free section and gives a set price for shipping isn't sensible because the person selling doesn't know the address of the person buying so it is obvious they are trying to make a profit off free items. I don't know if anyone has ever thought this over yet?

I don't think this should be happening in the free section i think the person should be queried about the cost of shipping before and there are also shipping calculators which can be used to see if that is the real shipping price.

Just a Thought open for discussion
Tape cost Money
Boxes cost money
Gas to get to the post office cost money

And chances are, the seller is already taking a good loss for giving the item away free, or near free (after the above costs).

Consider that, and know what you are getting into when you take up a "free item". Not everything comes on a silver platter.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,498 Posts
jeez.. folk give stuff away and some people still whine because of the (clearly advertised) cost of shipping
Why should someone who's giving stuff away for free spend loads of their own time calculating individual cost of shipping for a bunch of people in different locations just to rule out any chance that they may make a few cents out of the deal

Bottom line; if you don't like the cost of shipping don't take the item.. what's the problem?

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Closed Thread