SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:31 PM
Bazz
Swift Current, SK. Canada
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
Great to see the auto-trim. Hope the "positive news" is that all hurdles are behind us and the "release" is eminent.
Bazz is offline Find More Posts by Bazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Jim, when you make the new thread will you link it in here?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Aug 2004
779 Posts
There is nothing here but endless babble about a transmitter that don't exist
dirtybird is offline Find More Posts by dirtybird
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined May 2002
237 Posts
That is not true DirtyBird, I saw it and felt it. Jim has been flying with it under testing conditions that other companies just let the RC community (us) buy it before the bugs have been tested out.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Aug 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grich View Post
That is not true DirtyBird, I saw it and felt it. Jim has been flying with it under testing conditions that other companies just let the RC community (us) buy it before the bugs have been tested out.
I am in the programming businesses, and I agree a company must do every effort to avoid Bugs on the software and normally they do, BUT no company (or team) can account for every possible scenario so always Bugs will be there no matter what, The final debug phase is when many users start to use the system and that will happens when the unit hit the market.

Many examples of what I say exist Iphone, windows etc etc etc the list could be endless.

In the same taking , I company or a team have to define GOALS and target days to finish a project.
wwmilanl is offline Find More Posts by wwmilanl
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:27 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Correct... the transmitter certainly exists. We have shown it at various trade shows like Toledo model expo and the AMA show. People have held it, twiddled the sticks, listened to speech generated by it, seen the display and menus, etc.

Please keep this thread reserved for questions pertaining to the transmitter's specifications.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:15 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If it is moving sub trims which are servo specific, and not trims which are stick modifiers, how would it handle something like flaperons?
I can see Pat's point. I too see trims as a stick "thing." When I trim elevons or V-tails it is aways a bit confusing on the servo end... i.e. left aileron is also up elevator.

However I guess the bottom line is that the auto trim (stick or servo) will quickly get you flying in a stable trim. Then as per usual you land, center the servo arms, tweak the linkages, re-launch, re-trim, etc.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
It seems that most people don't mechanically match servo linkages anymore. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of people in the hobby would have no idea what that really is. Back in the day, we didn't have digital trims and model memories, so we tried to setup our models so that the trims were always neutral. We always had to do a bit of trimming for each aircraft, but at least it would not be extreme.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2004
779 Posts
What do the control linkages have to do with the transmitter specifications?
Stick to the subject ,Jim.
The transmitter specification most people would like to see is its release date.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
It seems that most people don't mechanically match servo linkages anymore. In fact, I would guess that the vast majority of people in the hobby would have no idea what that really is. Back in the day, we didn't have digital trims and model memories, so we tried to setup our models so that the trims were always neutral. We always had to do a bit of trimming for each aircraft, but at least it would not be extreme.
well, never had problems matching the crank of the torque rod from the escapement to the loop wire under the rudder. All that changed when the idiots
introduced rotary output and control horns that now have to match the hinge line
to exclude differential. give me 300 turns on the escapement drive rubber band any day.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jun 2007
26 Posts
techie talk!

"300 turns on the escapement drive rubber band"

Now you are talking techie stuff! I built and added a galloping ghost control box to my Orbit TX back in the 1900s. Worked great... wish I still had that combo to fly again.
Roger
rogerzzz is online now Find More Posts by rogerzzz
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2004
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Correct... the transmitter certainly exists. We have shown it at various trade shows like Toledo model expo and the AMA show. People have held it, twiddled the sticks, listened to speech generated by it, seen the display and menus, etc.

Please keep this thread reserved for questions pertaining to the transmitter's specifications.
I remember seeing the Tucker (Car)on display but we couldn't take a check ride. It had no transmission.
Did this transmitter have a circuit board in it?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Jim,

Wouldn't it be easier to just trim out the plane, then when you press the auto-trim switch, it just writes whatever is in the trim to the subtrim and then zeroes out the trims? This way, you don't need to do hand calistenics and worry about whether you need to release the switch or the sticks first. As someone (was it you?) said, doing the the thing in the wrong sequence will make the matter worse, the way you have it.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Jim,

Wouldn't it be easier to just trim out the plane, then when you press the auto-trim switch, it just writes whatever is in the trim to the subtrim and then zeroes out the trims? This way, you don't need to do hand calistenics and worry about whether you need to release the switch or the sticks first. As someone (was it you?) said, doing the the thing in the wrong sequence will make the matter worse, the way you have it.

chewy
I view Jim's method as trimming ONE stick at a time.... ie, elevator........make the adjustment and then aileron and make the adjustment.....

I see your point, though.... it would be nearly impossible to do both at the same time.....

I've always "trimmed in flight" and then after the test flight, re-adjust the rods to zero out the trims.....
JuanRodriguez is online now Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
What do the control linkages have to do with the transmitter specifications?
Please read the earlier posts. We have been discussing the transmitter's auto-trim feature. I stated that how the auto-trim affects the sub-trim functions, not the trim functions. I referenced previous transmitter designs that required manual adjustments of the control rods and/or servo arms to achieve neutral trims.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread