SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,301 Posts
Build Log
Stormbach 442 - "Sbipe"

Greetings my fellow foamy flying fanatics! I have something to share with you. This is my Stormbach 442 and before I say anything else about it, have a look at this. (in HD!)

Stormbach 442 (6 min 15 sec)

Not bad eh? Now obviously, it has the curves of an Sbach and that's pretty cool but two wings? TWO? What is this madness? Why is it named after an Oldsmobile? WHY???

1. I like Sbachs. (Herp)
2. I like Biplanes. (Derp)

I wanted to build a night flyer. I already had an idea for this bipe rolling around in my head. Hobbypartz had an LED sale. I needed a plane to stick them on. A bipe seemed like a good idea for lots of lights. It wasn't, but I didn't know that until later.

Even though everything I've ever read about it said it sucked, I used the 3DBatix FoamE II X as a guide for wing, cabane and servo locations. From there, I used the Sbach drawings from XtremeAir to trace a new set of plans to start this build with.

I built the it over a weekend about a month ago, making notes and adjustments to the plans along the way. It was not a particularly fast build and EPP needs a lot more bracing and support than Depron so that made it take longer. It might have been the glue fumes or carbon dust but it was somewhere during this time that I thought... "Hey! Sbach 342 + 4 Ailerons = a 442!"

8-12 hours later, I had a plane ready to maiden with a 24g motor, 12A esc, 3S 450 mAh battery and a 8043 prop. It took a few flights, some weight redistribution and a bigger motor / ESC / battery combo, but I finally got it flying well enough to stick the LEDs on it. Here's a video of that.

Stormbach 442 Night Flight (2 min 30 sec)

See? Not such a good idea after all. It looks cool but it was a heavy pig with those LEDs! After only two evenings of night flying I removed the LEDs. Eventually, I settled on the setups I have recommended in the plans. Save the LEDs for the Slow Stick, this is a 3D machine. Fly it hard and low!

The plane is just under 30" wide and mine weighs around 10 oz with no battery. I have been over the plans many times. I've got cut lines for 6mm and 9mm foams. I've got a recommended equipment list and the CG is marked. Now it's time to share it with the world!

Have fun!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 15, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,301 Posts
The build.

Hopefully, you've built a foamy or two and have an idea of what you are getting into. I would not recommend this for a first build. Bipes are quite a bit more time consuming in both construction and setup and are a lot less forgiving of flaws. I took many pictures during the build and I will update their captions as time permits.

I use Welder glue for all joints and hinges. Having built a couple of 3DHS foamies, many of my build techniques were learned from building their planes and watching their videos. I highly recommend watching the 34 Edge build videos before and even during the build. They will teach you how to do the hinges, firewall, landing gear, pushrods and bracing. Also, here's another video that explains how to cut the slots for wing spars.

Materials for the EPP version.

2 - 24"x36" sheets of 9mm EPP.
2 - 4mm carbon tubes (wing spars)
4 - 1.2mm carbon rods (bracing)
1 - 3mm carbon rod (landing gear)
1 - 3mm x 1mm carbon strip (cabanes, tail brace, landing skid)
2 - Tubes of Welder glue.

Also, for the pushrods.

1 - 2.5mm carbon rod
Thin piano wire for Z-bends
Heat shrink tubing

If you choose to build one from depron, do NOT use Welders. It will eat it. I use a combination of UHU Por and foam safe CA. The UHU takes a while to dry and the CA will speed the build greatly. Also, I use packing tape or Blenderm for the hinges.
Last edited by SD One.; Feb 22, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:31 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Just when I thought I'd be able to whittle down the build-list! Why'd ya go and do this to me!?!?!? What a beautiful little bipe. Great work,Stormdriver! I really like the look of this one, and your plans look great. Thanks for sharing. (My foam and glue bills every month are now higher than the GDP of a 3rd world country!)
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Good build thread and great airplane. I am going to have to build one.
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,019 Posts
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! Awesome bird and awesome flying! ...just when I thought I was at the end of my scratchbuilt Sbach phase - and you come upwith this one!

ps - I need to send you some of my planes so you can test and show us all how to fly 'em!

Congrats on a great new bird, and thanks for sharing!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:32 PM
pattern
Indiana
Joined Oct 2009
134 Posts
Looks really nice. I want to build one of these and want to know if you could make a tiled plan version?
Matt51 is offline Find More Posts by Matt51
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,301 Posts
I have attempted to make tiled versions in the past using some of the free tiling software available but was never very successful at it. That might be why they were free... Anyway, now I just use Adobe Reader X with its built-in tile printing capability. It's easy and works very well.

If I can make it happen, I'll get them posted.

Thanks for the comments everyone and good luck with your builds!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
This is the plane I was looking for. Thank you.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,301 Posts
You were looking for an Sbach Biplane even though they don't really exist? Sweet! You've come to the right place!

I just noticed a small problem with the plans. The motor cutout on the vertical fuse half is too big. Leave an extra 1/8" to 1/4" of foam on the top and bottom of the cutout and trim out whatever is needed when the time comes. I probably could have just left it closed with no cutout and let folks cut it for their motor mount of choice. I'll tweak the plans when I get home.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne View Post
You were looking for an Sbach Biplane even though they don't really exist? Sweet! You've come to the right place!
Yeah, so you understand why the search hasn't turned up much.

I've got a plane on the table in peices waiting on some hardware to arrive. When it's done, I have annother waiting to have its guts stripped for this. Thanks for the plans.

I have access to acrobat pro and can tile the plans if needed/requested.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
Owner Billet Works Designs
Arlington, Texas
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
Plans saved and build planned! Thanks a ton for sharing and nice work; this is one seriously slick bipe!

I've been planning a bipe build but wasn't hyped about any of the plans I had acquired thus far except one...now I'll just have to build two
Alumitex is offline Find More Posts by Alumitex
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
All I can say is "WOW!"
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, ND, Lemmon
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
wow looks great. What type of foam did you go with? do you have a weight without all the electronics?

epp sorry
ghtscorexception is offline Find More Posts by ghtscorexception
Last edited by ghtscorexception; Dec 14, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:20 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
using welders I suspect EPP.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:28 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009