SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,187 Posts
SIMPLY FANTASTIC Herb I'm very impressed with your work, it looks great. I'd love to see this fly.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Thanks Eddie !

Maiden will be "soon" ...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Nov 2003
293 Posts
Well done Herb,,,,, for a hangar queen that is....

Looks like it is time for it to fly. Gyro on the nose wheel???? Forward rake nose wheel can be "fun".....

Futaba g190 rate gyro works great..
CORONA EX is offline Find More Posts by CORONA EX
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:16 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Me-262 maiden !

Did the maiden this morning

Took me 1.5 hrs to get to field, and another half hour to put the beast together.

Plugged everything in, did a short taxi test to make sure she was going nice & straight, then turned her around and applied full throttle. Very slight crosswind 2-3mph.

She tracks straight as an arrow with a nice tight steering.

After 300ft or so she seemed to have plenty of speed, so I pulled very gently on the elevator, then one more gentle pull and she was up in the air.

Nice wide left turn, no elevator trim needed. Gear up, a few clicks of left trim and then ready for the next upwind turn ... she like to keep the speed up in the turns.

A few more circuits at full and half throttle, listening for odd sounds.

Then getting ready for landing, as she slows down in the last downwind turn shes wobbles a bit but when straight down the runway she tracks straight as an arrow. Keeps on going and going, two inches off the ground, then one inch, then the mains at 0.5 inches Landing. She keeps on going, finally I remember I have brakes !

Taxi her back and when she's next to me I notice one of the brakes (Robart unibrakes) is seizing again . This is the second time I have this problem.

So no second planned flight with second battery. Pack up and go home instead.

Minor issues so far :

(1) Now I have to take those wheels and brakes apart again, and apply more silicone grease. Incidentally it seems it's the hub (at the axle) that is seizing, there is some sort of tolerance issues in the machining.

(2) My 2000 mAh pack is too small, voltmeter was in the yellow region under load as I was unplugging the batts after the flight. Need to double that to two packs of 2000 mAh each. I am running two good sized fans on top of the two 120A hv esc's. Plus five digital servos & three analog ones.

(3) Some of the 5.5mm gold plugs do not seem to be as tight as they should be, need to fix that. Don't want to have one come apart in flight.

(4) Some nosegear sideways play of the Robart 550 is probably normal.

Last edited by Herb; Nov 23, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Congrats Herb!
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2003
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Did the maiden this morning

Took me 1.5 hrs to get to field, and another half hour to put the beast together.

Plugged everything in, did a short taxi test to make sure she was going nice & straight, then turned her around and applied full throttle. Very slight crosswind 2-3mph.

She tracks straight as an arrow with a nice tight steering.

After 300ft or so she seemed to have plenty of speed, so I pulled very gently on the elevator, then one more gentle pull and she was up in the air.

Nice wide left turn, no elevator trim needed. Gear up, a few clicks of left trim and then ready for the next upwind turn ... she like to keep the speed up in the turns.

A few more circuits at full and half throttle, listening for odd sounds.

Then getting ready for landing, as she slows down in the last downwind turn shes wobbles a bit but when straight down the runway she tracks straight as an arrow. Keeps on going and going, two inches off the ground, then one inch, then the mains at 0.5 inches Landing. She keeps on going, finally I remember I have brakes !

Taxi her back and when she's next to me I notice one of the brakes (Robart unibrakes) is seizing again . This is the second time I have this problem.

So no second planned flight with second battery. Pack up and go home instead.

Minor issues so far :

(1) Now I have to take those wheels and brakes apart again, and apply more silicone grease. Incidentally it seems it's the hub (at the axle) that is seizing, there is some sort of tolerance issues in the machining.

(2) My 2000 mAh pack is too small, voltmeter was in the yellow region under load as I was unplugging the batts after the flight. Need to double that to two packs of 2000 mAh each. I am running two good sized fans on top of the two 120A hv esc's. Plus five digital servos & three analog ones.

(3) Some of the 5.5mm gold plugs do not seem to be as tight as they should be, need to fix that. Don't want to have one come apart in flight.

(4) Some nosegear sideways play of the Robart 550 is probably normal.
Did it yourself eh,,,,, ??? Go to Prado tomorrow at 8am... I want to see it..
CORONA EX is offline Find More Posts by CORONA EX
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Congrats Herb !!

Great Report !!
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Fantastic!

Mine is still sitting on the bench, awaiting some TLC.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Dec 2005
65 Posts
Hervorragend and congrats

Servus from Austria

cat
catman74 is offline Find More Posts by catman74
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Congratulations Herb,

Very nice work, any flight video ???

I had to smile as you described your 1.5 hours to the "field"

It doesn't look like any field that I'm familiar with.

Where I live, "field" implies something remotely green.

Your Me-262 looks like the only green object for miles.

Great Job !!!!!

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:01 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,187 Posts
This is nice to see! Congrats to you, and that was a nice post flight review. I'm sure you will get all the outstanding items sorted nicely. With your approach to this model I'm sure there will be many seasons of successful and rewarding operations ahead.

She looks very pretty sitting on the playa. She'll look even better at Prado or any jet event for that matter
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the comments !

It is a great kit, I just wish it was a bit smaller (6ft wingspan), nothing else fits in my suv after this monster is loaded .

Nevertheless it seem a great flier ... Airworld did a great job.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:25 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,781 Posts
Congrats Herb!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Dec 2004
30 Posts
Congratulations - I had the shakes after my maiden with the 262! Have not flown it since.

What size batteries are u using - I used two 4500 S packs in par and still ended up with tail weight
electricfly2002 is online now Find More Posts by electricfly2002
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:24 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,165 Posts
Thanks Kev !

EF, I have a pair of 8S 4000 packs (TGY 40C), one pack for each motor/fan.

They butt right against the front of the forward wing-to-fuse joint, and the CG is fine with that location.

So do I understand you were noseheavy?