Wow, a truly amazing foam model.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
Great review, this ones on the long term wish list

Just curious, would an EDF like the PZ Habu be a good transition from sport props to a model like this?
AggressorBLUE is online now Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:26 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
The Habu is an amazingly engineered EDF for sure IMO. I have one and love it! But I think this one would honestly also serve as a pretty decent entry level EDF if you have a lot of prop experience. The Habu is probably a little faster out of the box on its stock power system but the F86 is not that much slower on the top end with a strong 30C pack.

Thanks for the compliments people.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
The main difference to note here is that the Habu is a great sport jet based on its larger turbine cousins making it a pattern plane like EDF jet. It goes fast it goes slow and many pilots like it. The focus is on flying and keeping it simple.
The F-86 is a sport scale jet and has very honest manners while providing a lot of functions. The F-86 is a good transitional EDF jet for a person who appreciates scale jets and is interested in learning more about flying with flaps and retracts and speed brakes. The micro air system and all the other functions are more typical in much larger and more expensive planes. Having a little more work load than a typical plane but not demanding your full attention to those duties is one way I would characterize the Venom F-86. For that reason it provides a good trainer platform for many aspects of EDF jet training.
If you have some stick time in sporty prop planes either tail draggers or tricycle types then I'm sure you can handle the F-86.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:29 PM
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
823 Posts
^

I might just go straight to this next season then. I need some more prop time, but I'm sold on the F-86

My goals for the rest of this season are to get as many stick hours in my fun cub and PZ 109 as possible, so i can step up to entry 3D and jets next year
AggressorBLUE is online now Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Would it be possible to Y-harness the airbrakes and the flaps together, so it could be operated on 6 channels?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:05 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Don't see why not. One additional Y connector would do it.
Might try that myself, it's a pain to reach the airbrake (AUX)switch.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,649 Posts
madien complete, sweet flyer read all about it in corsair nut thead.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Would it be possible to Y-harness the airbrakes and the flaps together, so it could be operated on 6 channels?
Yes but you need to use a set of Y-harness's to accomplish that. The flaps are using 2 servos and the brakes are using 2 servos. So thats 3 x Y-harness and it should work. Your flap travel will be limited to the mechanical travel of the speed brake. You can adjust things mechanically if you want more range of movement from the flaps.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:53 PM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Chris 2 servos each would be 2 Y harnesses to complete the change,not 3 unless you have something extra in there.
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Nope! I take it all back its just one y-harness because the servos already operate on y-harnesses so one will do.
Take the flap lead and the brake lead and put them on one Y-harness to the Rx.

Its still 3 parts but two are included, I was looking at it from the layout point of view. You just do this at the Rx with one Y-harness and your done. The comment on the mechanical set up still applies.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Cris can I enter the contest with 2 of the 3 objectives listed?I will not have a video but I will have staic shots and flying still photos.
Thanks
Keith
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Okay, that's cool considering I only have a DX6i. I was weighing my options of this over the Habu. Not only is this cheaper. It's scale, has flaps, retracts, air-brakes, and can fly just as slow as the Habu I presume with the flaps/air-brakes. It's a no brainer especially since I'm only going to be spending around $300 compared to $400 for the Habu.

Edit:

One question though, I don't know much about pneumatic retracts. Do you need to refill them after a certain amount of time?

Also how come it is exactly the same as the Banana Hobby F-86?

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Last edited by Benf207; Aug 28, 2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Added question
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
Lubbock, Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2005
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207 View Post
Edit:

One question though, I don't know much about pneumatic retracts. Do you need to refill them after a certain amount of time?

Also how come it is exactly the same as the Banana Hobby F-86?

Ben
In a word - Yes. Every flight. You have enough pressure to three, maybe four cycles until the tank is empty on average.
shanksow is offline Find More Posts by shanksow