HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined May 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Blade MSR shaking big time!! after swapping parts

Hello there I bought a 2nd hand MSR off ebay which came all tricked out with glow in the dark parts, and other than a broken landing skid it really is, or was, faultless!! I had a go with it at first with all the nice bits on and it flew like a dream.

Anyway, I've taken all the glow in the dark parts off and swapped them to the originals because I don't want to damage them (this is my first FP heli and I'm new to heli's anyway), and also put the fly bar linkages on the shorter ones (they came set up on the longer ones) and now the thing keeps shaking real bad and just doesn't want to fly properly.

I've checked all the linkages are on properly, used the calibration tool and everything but it just won't stop shaking. The blades are mint, no cracks or nicks, and the fly bars nice and straight.

One thing that is happening when I bump is the blades are spinning a bit in the grips, which obviously makes it shake even worse, even though the screws are in as tight as pos.

I just don't know where to start now I've tried and checked everything I can think of but as I stated previously I'm very new to all this, so my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks in advance for any help
skinup is offline Find More Posts by skinup
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2010, 08:07 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,444 Posts
Quote:
One thing that is happening when I bump is the blades are spinning a bit in the grips, which obviously makes it shake even worse, even though the screws are in as tight as pos.
That's your problem right there. The screws should be loose enough for the "centrifugal force" to be able to pull the blades straight. In a mSR they can and should be pretty loose, I have tightened them to the threshold where the screw just begins to add some drag to lead/lag movement.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old May 20, 2010, 08:32 AM
USA, NY, Cedarhurst
Joined Mar 2010
1,008 Posts
Jkettu is right; the blades are designed to be loose, this way they absorb the brunt of an impact to keep other parts from breaking...
Loosen them to the point where if you put the heli sideways they will drop with gravity alone. I tighten the grips 1/8 of a turn at the time (when they are close to ‘tight’) and check how freely they move. As soon as I feel resistance I back off a tiny bit and go flying!
You don’t want them to be too loose because this will cause the blades to be too out of track.
vicovaludemero is offline Find More Posts by vicovaludemero
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Absolutely, I had this same problem with my mSR, and the problem was that the blades were wayyyy to tight. They should be loosened up. Also, check to see if the anti rotation collar is aligned correctly. If the linkages get bound up at all, it will also cause a shaking and sometime TBE.
crowley753 is offline Find More Posts by crowley753
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:15 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
It's probably cold!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
It's probably cold!
That was the problem with mine. I had my grandma knit some mittens for the flybar and skids. It helped some, but I think the canopy needs a sweater too
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Ha Ha. Its not a car. I have flown it outside and have had no problems due to the cold.
crowley753 is offline Find More Posts by crowley753
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm having shake problems myself now and was hoping for some ideas. It seems to hover pretty decently at seems stable but if I give it more throttle or try to do some zipping around it begins to get a pretty bad amount of shake and wobble. Fishing for some ideas here on what to look for or parts that could be the problem. I've checked grip tightness, and I'm okay. I've insured my linkages are not bent or broken, and placed a small amount of lubrication to ensure they were not sticking. Really the whole top assembly seems to move great. I've also checked the motors and blades for hair/ fibers and its clean. I was thinking my main shaft could be bent a little bit, but I would think I would see the shake in my hover. Just confused, so please help me with ideas.
Mounds is offline Find More Posts by Mounds
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:27 PM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Mounds,
Welcome!
Um, I have to ask...did this start after a crash/hard landing?
Is the anti-rotation pin [on the swash plate] located in it's proper place? Servos operating smoothly?

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for looking to help.
After a hard crash, yes and no. I hit something in the garage and my fly bar broke. I replaced the fly bar with a brand new stock one. It had some shake and wobble after the replacement. So I checked everything and lubed the ball joints and it was smooth again. After some time it however has returned and its bad now.
I've checked out the swatch plate, and its fine. In the groove and properly placed, and checked with the hi tech cal tool provided. I've even pulled out the main shaft and it seems fine. I didn't check it for straightness, just kind of I balled it.
Servos are perfect, full motion and not sticking.
My main blades are a bit old, could this cause shaking? They don't look too bad but they have been through a lot of wrecks.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,991 Posts
There are some mSR How to Inspect, Tune/Bend Procedures on my RCG Blog Page that may help:

i812
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Jan 20, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
just for an update, I've solved my problem. I got to the hobby store this weekend and got some main blades and its smooth a silk again. the wholes had gotten to elongated and probably uneven. Thanks for the help everyone.