HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2007
438 Posts
Barometer works as expected. 1 meter accuracy after 25 min flight. The whole problem was because of me resetting home position in mid air. This resets altitude as well!
Now I will listen to Van "HOLD" recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM View Post
You are da man, Tracks. Looking for the answer to your question I found the answer to this altitude error.

I did home position reset in the air while flying at 77meters altitude 100 meters in front of me. I had -3m/sec vertical speed before I went into the DOSD menu.
After I performed home position reset and exited menu I was at -3 meters indicated altitude! So it reset altitude floor for me.

Normally I would carry airplane to the side of the field, do home reset there, bring it back and launch. Last time decided to do in air home set and it zeroed my altitude as well.

What is the best approach to set home not right by the windsock but say safe distance away from it?

Tracks, it had 0.9 HDOP and 11 sats at the moment when I did mid air reset.
My HDOP set a bit high I think. Probably I will lower it to 1.2.
<VHDOP Value="1.5" Type="FLOATV" />
<MINVALID Value="15" Type="INTEGERV" />

Thanks!
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
I'm trying to get my FY-30A to work. I'm using it without servo outputs, with the xlator (DOSD does the stabilizing).

Initially I hooked it up with servo outputs and I was getting the AHI and everything seemed to be working properly.

Then I tried hooking it up with just the power ground and UART connections (duplicated these cables http://www.dragonlabseu.bigcartel.co...tor-and-fy-30a). I do have an artifial horizon but it doesn't move. The red light on the FY-30A stays solid. In PCC it detects IMU and my baro sensor (daisy chained).

Is it something obvious? Some things I have been thinking about doing: resetting the gyro per FY-30A instructions, removing the baro sensor, reflashing the firmware on the FY-30A (the TTL-USB I have doesn't seem to work with the FY-30A but it does with the DOSD, aren't they the same thing?)

The dragon labs eu cable (linked above) doesn't ground the FY-30A to the receiver/bec but it does ground it through the xlator. I noticed in Van's diagram he grounded it to the receiver/bec as well as the xlator. Does it matter?

Lastly, if I am not using the FY-30A for stabilization do I need to power through the servo inputs (I would assume no)? Just asking because at first I thought the servo inputs powered the whole thing but then noticed the UART connection had it's own power - which is where I'm powering the FY-30A from now (again I've just duplicated the dragon labs eu cable).

Thanks everyone!

AH
ahobbes is offline Find More Posts by ahobbes
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:47 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Feb 2013
323 Posts
I have recently installed a FY30A on my DOSD, thanks to the helpfull gentlemens here at rcgroup.

DOSD is only using the signals from the FY30A, so no need to connect servos to it.

Be carefull with ground loops, it strikes bad on the signal to and from FY30A and the DOSD can´t get any usefull info out of it.

Recalibrate your FY30A is a piece of cake, remove the plug on the FY30A that goes to translator and install the small calibration tool, turn on the Power(here you need som external Power for the FY30A wait until the red light blink after about 5 to 10 sec, then your done. remove calibration tool and Install back all you original Cables. Dubble check all your Cables, if you have installed a external Power Cable (+) to the Fy30A, then remove it.

One thing what helped me was to make drawing of all Cables in your installation and send it here so we can have a look at it.

If Red light Always solid, then something is definently wrong, what red light shows is the movment of the FY30A.

Good luck
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahobbes View Post
I'm trying to get my FY-30A to work. I'm using it without servo outputs, with the xlator (DOSD does the stabilizing).

Initially I hooked it up with servo outputs and I was getting the AHI and everything seemed to be working properly.

Then I tried hooking it up with just the power ground and UART connections (duplicated these cables http://www.dragonlabseu.bigcartel.co...tor-and-fy-30a). I do have an artifial horizon but it doesn't move. The red light on the FY-30A stays solid. In PCC it detects IMU and my baro sensor (daisy chained).

Is it something obvious? Some things I have been thinking about doing: resetting the gyro per FY-30A instructions, removing the baro sensor, reflashing the firmware on the FY-30A (the TTL-USB I have doesn't seem to work with the FY-30A but it does with the DOSD, aren't they the same thing?)

The dragon labs eu cable (linked above) doesn't ground the FY-30A to the receiver/bec but it does ground it through the xlator. I noticed in Van's diagram he grounded it to the receiver/bec as well as the xlator. Does it matter?

Lastly, if I am not using the FY-30A for stabilization do I need to power through the servo inputs (I would assume no)? Just asking because at first I thought the servo inputs powered the whole thing but then noticed the UART connection had it's own power - which is where I'm powering the FY-30A from now (again I've just duplicated the dragon labs eu cable).

Thanks everyone!

AH
Kenneth Eriksson is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth Eriksson
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:44 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,273 Posts
Quote:

Thanks everyone!

AH

What Kenneth said! A wiring diagram would certainly help us find any faults

note that if you get a static AHI, this information is probably coming from the Xlator not the FY.

It is possible to damage to the Xlator by wiring it up incorrectly...
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:30 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,125 Posts
Quote:

Thanks everyone!

AH
One big no-no is having power on both sides of the Xlator (3.3v from the I2C connection and 5V ont the FY30 connection side of the Xlator. Don't know if you may have wired it up that way or not, but if you did, remove the power line between the Xlator and FY-30. As the others said, a wiring diagram would really help.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Alright! Thanks guys! Here is a little diagram of just the FY30, xlator and baro sensor. I'll work on drawing up something more complete. I still haven't tried to reset the FY-30A, figure I'd double check this first.

Thanks again!

Name: Wiring.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 204.8 KB
Description:
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,125 Posts
Quote:
Alright! Thanks guys! Here is a little diagram of just the FY30, xlator and baro sensor. I'll work on drawing up something more complete. I still haven't tried to reset the FY-30A, figure I'd double check this first.

Thanks again!

Attachment 6092985
Hard to tell by the picture, but where is the FY ground? It looks like your labeling shows no ground for it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Jun 2007
438 Posts
What is the thing on the right? I2C logic level converter? Do we need to have it? If you power XLATOR with 3.3 v no converter is needed. You better power XLATOR from DOSD I2C header. Remove that I2C converter. Make common ground for everything (no loops!)
Power FY30 with whatever it needs. (5V?).

Quote:

Thanks again!

Attachment 6092985
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
I labelled the ground on the FY (brown wire connected to FY), just click twice on that picture to enlarge it. It is grounded through the xlator.

The thing on the right is my baro sensor. It's daisy chained between the xlator and the DOSD.

The xlator is powered by the I2C header, through the baro sensor by 3.3v.

The FY is powered by my 5v BEC. The 5v comes in through a Y-cable (power only for FY, no ground) that powers my receiver and my FY-30 (from the BEC).

There are no ground loops, the I2C ground dead ends at the FY.

Sorry about the mismatched coloring of some of the wires, I work with what I have.
Last edited by ahobbes; Sep 10, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
When I received my FY from another RCG member, the only DIP switch in the ON/up position (pointing toward FeiyuTech logo on case) was the third one.

I tested the FY with these DIP settings and my AHI was working properly.

I read over the FY instructions and saw that for a normal fixed-wing with ailerons all of the DIPs should be ON/up. So I changed them and after that I got the red light and no AHI movement.

I guess I'll just change them back and use it that way. I'm not too sure what those DIPs do - I figure it must be something about the FY's stabilization output. Does anyone know how to set them up properly? The instructions looked pretty straight forward but things don't look to be working right.

Hmm, perhaps I should check out the FY-30A board.

EDIT: I had my DIP switches set wrong. The manual was a bit deceiving. Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
ok make sure you have the dip switches set correctly.... the manual can be confusing... up looks like down... down looks like up..

any dip switch changes need a re-boot (power off then on)

try that... I recall if they dips are set to something that is not recognised then it will do a solid red light.

Steve

Thanks fellas!

AH
Last edited by ahobbes; Sep 11, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Still can't get this thing to work. The only time I had AHI working correctly was when I had the outputs connected on the FY-30A along with the xlator (with that big wiring harness). Next I will go back to this and see if it still works.

I just tried following Van's diagram exactly, with the ground loop but I still don't get AHI on the screen. The FY seems to be working (red light flash then solid blue). The xlator has a solid green light. My baro sensor is being detected.

Do I need to supply power to both the servo output pins and the power/ground pins by the UART? I ask because I saw that Van was powering his through the servo output pins at one point, are you still doing it that way?

Thanks guys, sorry to saturate the thread!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,125 Posts
Quote:
Still can't get this thing to work. The only time I had AHI working correctly was when I had the outputs connected on the FY-30A along with the xlator (with that big wiring harness). Next I will go back to this and see if it still works.

I just tried following Van's diagram exactly, with the ground loop but I still don't get AHI on the screen. The FY seems to be working (red light flash then solid blue). The xlator has a solid green light. My baro sensor is being detected.

Do I need to supply power to both the servo output pins and the power/ground pins by the UART? I ask because I saw that Van was powering his through the servo output pins at one point, are you still doing it that way?

Thanks guys, sorry to saturate the thread!
Mine is connected up as per my wiring diagram...still working good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2012
43 Posts
Wiring Diagram

This is how I have everything wired up. I still can't get the AHI to display. IMU (FY-30A) is not recognized by PC Commander. FY-30A does initialize, both lights come on, red light goes off, blue light stays on (I think that's how it goes), red light flashes when moved. Green light on xlator does come on (3.3v from I2C).

Things I have tried:
1. Enabling horizon mode 1 or 2
2. Removing baro sensor (baro sensor is recognized by PC Commander, so no problem with I2C header on DOSD)
3. Upgrading to firmware 1.16 on FY-30A.
4. Hooking my batteries up in parallel (I thought it might be because the ground and the power to the FY were coming from different places).
5. Grounding xlator to FY but not to BEC.
6. Removing GPS, current sensor (getting desperate).
7. Checking continuity on all the wires between the xlator and FY or baro sensor/I2C header.
8. Powering FY-30A at Ail output, Ail input.
9. Using FY to stabilize (servos on FY outputs).

Name: WiringDiagram.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 173.1 KB
Description:

I'm starting to wonder if my xlator is bad or there is something wrong with the UART on the FY-30A. If anyone sees something wrong/wacky with my diagram please tell me. Thanks y'all!

AH
Last edited by ahobbes; Sep 12, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,125 Posts
Quote:
This is how I have everything wired up. I still can't get the AHI to display. IMU (FY-30A) is not recognized by PC Commander. FY-30A does initialize, both lights come on, red light goes off, blue light stays on (I think that's how it goes), red light flashes when moved. Green light on xlator does come on (3.3v from I2C).

Things I have tried:
2. Removing baro sensor (baro sensor is recognized by PC Commander, so no problem with I2C header on DOSD)
4. Hooking my batteries up in parallel (I thought it might be because the ground and the power to the FY were coming from different places).
7. Checking continuity on all the wires between the xlator and FY or baro sensor/I2C header.

Attachment 6098254

I'm starting to wonder if my xlator is bad or there is something wrong with the UART on the FY-30A. If anyone sees something wrong/wacky with my diagram please tell me. Thanks y'all!

AH
Looks like how I have mine set up....like the little heart on your VTx. Anyway, I'd drop a PM to Chris1Seto to check/verify the LED indications on the Xlator. He's the distributer for those...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:52 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Feb 2013
323 Posts
By looking at your schematic, you have a loop on PPM decoder ground, you don´t need that if i´m correct, from reciever you already have one to the DOSD.

I have to check the cabling then at home between Xlater and FY30A, I think you missing one Cable there.
Ken

Quote:

Things I have tried:

Attachment 6098254

AH
Kenneth Eriksson is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth Eriksson