HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Looking good guys! Keep up the good work, Startin to look like a plane!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
OK, just so you guys don't think I have been slacking off, here is the project that has been postponing the RV-4 build. Covering is finally done and just need to complete a few finishing touches and paint some plastic when the garage warms up. Lucky for me the RV does not have two wings or N-struts.......those dang struts alone took me two hours each to cover....but am really happy with the outcome so far.

So to stay on the topic of this thread.....here is the RV-4 being inspected by the supervisor. If approved......construction will begin shortly!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
wow

great covering job! It's another daunting aspect of this project for me. Could use some tips when the time comes. Like how you could cleanly get the red/white and black in there to look like it was painted on. Great job!
bunkai is offline Find More Posts by bunkai
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
hmmm still a delay with starting the fuse. One fuse side is refusing to straighten out, wet it and weighed it down again. The other side straghtened out nice.
So I find myself with another delemma. The left wing tip and far left end of the wing are 1/8" shorter then the rest of the wing? Have no idea how it occured. I'm thinking the fix would be to resheet the end of the wing from the spar back and open the abs at the TE of the tip and add some scrap abs. Open to suggestions.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Rob,

I think that might be the best bet to resolve the issue. Is the taper correct to where it ends? If so you could just add a small piece of balsa (CA'd) to the trailing edge as well as the tip and sand accordingly. Failing that you will likely need to re sheet at least top or bottom in that section.

Marko
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai View Post
great covering job! It's another daunting aspect of this project for me. Could use some tips when the time comes. Like how you could cleanly get the red/white and black in there to look like it was painted on. Great job!
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Am in the process of writing up something to get you going with tips and tricks for success.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Am in the process of writing up something to get you going with tips and tricks for success.
HA!

I'd be thrilled with that nice a covering job. Thanks for considering doing that - seriously.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:32 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Rob,

I would not be concerned with 1/8" difference in the wing halves span. It may be possible that the plan is off so when you built over it....would account for the difference. If it bugs you, you can change it, but for that amount I doubt very much it will be noticeable in appearance or flight characteristics. Your call.

Hmmmm...may have misunderstood what your issue is. Is is possible your aileron is thicker than what is needed due to the leading edge piece not being shaved down enough? Might be easier to shave a bit off the rons to make it all the same........

Marko

The rest of the left wing and right wing is 2 1/4" off the WTE spar including the flaps and ailerons, it's just the end to the left of the left aileron that is 2 1/8".
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
The rest of the left wing and right wing is 2 1/4" off the WTE spar including the flaps and ailerons, it's just the end to the left of the left aileron that is 2 1/8".
Sorry I misunderstood and rewrote my response. See above.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood and rewrote my response. See above.
Great... well I better get at it. I'll remove the sheeting from the WTE back and redo. The abs shouldn't be that difficult. Removing the sheeting though could be a pain.

Thanks Marko
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
Great... well I better get at it. I'll remove the sheeting from the WTE back and redo. The abs shouldn't be that difficult. Removing the sheeting though could be a pain.

Thanks Marko
Rob....is the taper ok to the existing TE on the tip in question (aside from ABS)? Or is the taper off as well? If the taper is OK and it is just short, then you can CA a small piece to the TE to extend it and sand it to match, maybe even fill slightly to smooth out as 1/8 is not that much. If the taper is out, then you will likely be best to pull the sheeting off on the smallest section you can get away with to extend the TE. Does that make sense?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Rob....is the taper ok to the existing TE on the tip in question (aside from ABS)? Or is the taper off as well? If the taper is OK and it is just short, then you can CA a small piece to the TE to extend it and sand it to match, maybe even fill slightly to smooth out as 1/8 is not that much. If the taper is out, then you will likely be best to pull the sheeting off on the smallest section you can get away with to extend the TE. Does that make sense?
The taper is good but short 1/8". I've tried to figure out how to extend but because the taper is good it would be messed up trying to tack something on to it. I've got the sheeting off now from the WTE and will redo it. Then just open up the abs tip and add 1/8" to that. Hopefully with bondo I'll be able to make it smooth.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
374 Posts
Quote:
OK, just so you guys don't think I have been slacking off, here is the project that has been postponing the RV-4 build. Covering is finally done and just need to complete a few finishing touches and paint some plastic when the garage warms up. Lucky for me the RV does not have two wings or N-struts.......those dang struts alone took me two hours each to cover....but am really happy with the outcome so far.

So to stay on the topic of this thread.....here is the RV-4 being inspected by the supervisor. If approved......construction will begin shortly!
Nice Work!!!!

Pablo
pablojaime is online now Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
Israel, Ashdod
Joined Dec 2009
374 Posts
Quote:
hmmm still a delay with starting the fuse. One fuse side is refusing to straighten out, wet it and weighed it down again. The other side straghtened out nice.
So I find myself with another delemma. The left wing tip and far left end of the wing are 1/8" shorter then the rest of the wing? Have no idea how it occured. I'm thinking the fix would be to resheet the end of the wing from the spar back and open the abs at the TE of the tip and add some scrap abs. Open to suggestions.
Sorry to hear (see??) your problem... you will find a way to overcome!!!

Pablo
pablojaime is online now Find More Posts by pablojaime
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime View Post
Nice Work!!!!

Pablo
Thanks Pablo.