HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,093 Posts
1. I do not use the supplied control horns and in any case do not think glue is strong enough to hold them. I use some more substantial ones from Dubro (#107) and attach them with screws that go through 1/16' plywood doublers that are glued to both sides of the control surface.

2. Elevator is ok as is.

3. I mount the rudder on the center-line of the boom with 2/4" plywood or basswood spacer strips on each side to make it the same width as the boom. I then use plywood plates on each side of the boom to support it. The rudder ends up sandwiched between the plates, which are attached with small (2-56 or 4-40) bolts.

4. I cover the gap with fiberglass tape or cloth bedded in finishing resin.

5. I use fiberglass tape and finishing resin on the top, and apply an extra layer of glass cloth / Minwax on the bottom.
kaptondave is online now Find More Posts by kaptondave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:09 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
[QUOTE=Moonbeam;23363836]You've got new stuff headed your way in about two days. So crash all you want til then! ]

And Crash i did haha tried a Front flip and Rock Darted it Combo of Low Battery and Low altitude haha

Broke my motor mount but i should have it up and running in a day or sojust got to go steal some of sheet metal's Metal haha and Fab up a new mount Some how

But I Am so glad i bought this plane it has really made a difference here with my happiness I wake up looking forward to go to work so maybe if its not busy i can fly

Sure with the Rain would let up going on 30 hours and counting haha

Thanks for Everything
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Last edited by Kafie; Nov 28, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
1. I do not use the supplied control horns and in any case do not think glue is strong enough to hold them. I use some more substantial ones from Dubro (#107) and attach them with screws that go through 1/16' plywood doublers that are glued to both sides of the control surface.

2. Elevator is ok as is.

3. I mount the rudder on the center-line of the boom with 2/4" plywood or basswood spacer strips on each side to make it the same width as the boom. I then use plywood plates on each side of the boom to support it. The rudder ends up sandwiched between the plates, which are attached with small (2-56 or 4-40) bolts.

5. I use fiberglass tape and finishing resin on the top, and apply an extra layer of glass cloth / Minwax on the bottom.
Thank you for your suggestions! On #3 concerning mounting the rudder mount I really like that idea. I'm not sure I have it completely understood though. I'm visualizing taking plywood and epoxying it together in the shape of a U running the link of the rudder. Mounting this U shaped plywood on top of the elevator using the existing elevator bolts with the open side of the plywood U facing up. Build the U shape plywood opening the exact width of the rudder and insert the rudder into the plywood and secure with bolts running horizontally in relation to the elevator bolts.

Should I revise that in anyway?
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

2. Elevator is ok as is.

What do you do with this thing, combat? Supplied horns are fine and without any glue. Supplied double sided tape is fine for rudder mounting. In fact the SlowStick flies great strictly stock if the CG is right. Beginners are better off flying a stock one.

Mods and reinforcements usually add weight and cause more damage if you crash. I mod and torture mine to the extreme but it's not necessary.

This is the beginner forum. Let's not give the idea that a lot of mods are needed.
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
What do you do with this thing, combat? Supplied horns are fine and without any glue. Supplied double sided tape is fine for rudder mounting. In fact the SlowStick flies great strictly stock if the CG is right. Beginners are better off flying a stock one.

Mods and reinforcements usually add weight and cause more damage if you crash. I mod and torture mine to the extreme but it's not necessary.

This is the beginner forum. Let's not give the idea that a lot of mods are needed.
I'm sure it flies well with the stock set up. I mentioned this a few threads back, but I'm not a beginner in fact I actually fly elec helicopters primarily. I have a couple years experience with glow planes ranging from trainer to low wing type all 4 channel.

I am using a 450 size 890kv motor and 2200mah 3 cell batts on my slow stick so I am interested in beefing up any weak link in the stock set up.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
You might consider heavier LG if your running a bigger battery and a heavier SS as the stock LG is a little flimsy IHMO. Gorilla Bob's RC carries the Millenium gear. I put mine right up against the motor mount and no more prop strikes.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Thanks for suggestion on landing gear placement. Yea, I purchased the millennium x-gear package with tail gear and their Landing gear and motor mount.

I put the millennium landing gear together this weekend and they are extremely strong and well made.
Last edited by SOOFLY; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
Thanks for suggestion on landing gear placement. Yea, I purchased the millennium x-gear package with tail gear and their Landing gear and motor mount.

I put the millennium landing gear together this weekend and they are extremely strong and well made.
Cool! You're going to love it. It's still one of my favorites after all this time.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, VA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2012
32 Posts
More Pics and Video of My Slow Stick

Keychain Camera 808 #16 V2 Lens D HD on a Slow Stick (3 min 41 sec)
jredz71 is offline Find More Posts by jredz71
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
Jredz71,
LOVE that Slow Stick!!! Simple with a touch of "coolness". Looks great! Blue flames on yellow is slick.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, VA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Jredz71,
LOVE that Slow Stick!!! Simple with a touch of "coolness". Looks great! Blue flames on yellow is slick.
Thank's Moonbeam! I try to fly it everyday after work if the weather is good.
jredz71 is offline Find More Posts by jredz71
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,959 Posts
[QUOTE=Kafie;23383398]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
You've got new stuff headed your way in about two days. So crash all you want til then! ]

And Crash i did haha tried a Front flip and Rock Darted it Combo of Low Battery and Low altitude haha

Broke my motor mount but i should have it up and running in a day or sojust got to go steal some of sheet metal's Metal haha and Fab up a new mount Some how

But I Am so glad i bought this plane it has really made a difference here with my happiness I wake up looking forward to go to work so maybe if its not busy i can fly

Sure with the Rain would let up going on 30 hours and counting haha

Thanks for Everything
So what you're saying is we should put some extra motor mounts in the box?
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:01 AM
ARMY Flyer
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Here is some pics of my slow stick

Stock, Broken and fixed , Forward wing mount, Aft Wing mount and ailerons
Kafie is offline Find More Posts by Kafie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Where does it say this is only for beginners? I have been flying for several years and still consider the Slow Stick as a favorite, but mod them to the extreme. Mods are not needed but sure add to the enjoyment. Here is one of mine. Upgraded airframe with CF stick and landing gear, upgraded motor, Millennium SSX wing and tail feathers, lots of Radical RC goodies.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOFLY View Post
Thank you for your suggestions! On #3 concerning mounting the rudder mount I really like that idea. I'm not sure I have it completely understood though. I'm visualizing taking plywood and epoxying it together in the shape of a U running the link of the rudder. Mounting this U shaped plywood on top of the elevator using the existing elevator bolts with the open side of the plywood U facing up. Build the U shape plywood opening the exact width of the rudder and insert the rudder into the plywood and secure with bolts running horizontally in relation to the elevator bolts.

Should I revise that in anyway?
That will work. I do it a by adding shims to both sides of the rudder to pad it out to 10 mm, then use plywood plates on each side to connect the assembly to the stick using horizontal bolts through the stick and the rudder. My elevator attached to the bottom of the stick as usual.

Radical RC sells a laser-cut plywood kit that center-mounts the rudder. Look for it in their Hop-Ups section.