HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2013
56 Posts
Discussion
The Pistol – Fatty Low Wing Foamy

'The Pistol' – the first name that popped into my head, so it stuck . After having some flight issues with my first attempt at a cartoon fatty high-wing I decided to move on to something else. Still wanting to build something with a more traditional shape as apposed to the flying wings I've been carving out, and still enjoying the idea of building a fatty, I decided to go with a low-wing model that wasn't quite as dramatic – slightly thickened fuselage but not too crazy, something flyable.

I finished the prototype and in my haste to maiden decided it was a good idea to toss her into 15 mph gusts this afternoon (total flying weight is about 250g) – probably not smart. To my surprise, after a couple test chucks she actually flew really smooth, for about 2 seconds, before I tried to bank her back into the wind and I chickened out, brought her back down narrowly avoiding disaster. My goal tonight was to vet the frame would fly and the power was sufficient, which I believe was a success. I'm hoping tomorrow morning is calmer and I can actually get some longer/better footage before re-building for better detail. I may scale it up a bit as she's only about 28" wide currently – maybe push it up to 35" or 40" wing span.

More updates to come as I hone in this one, I really like the look/feel.

ThePistolMaiden (1 min 10 sec)
chrisfay is offline Find More Posts by chrisfay
Last edited by chrisfay; Nov 04, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2013
56 Posts
The bottom sub-like 'prototype' on the whiteboard is my son's masterpiece. He wants to build that next
chrisfay is offline Find More Posts by chrisfay
Last edited by chrisfay; Nov 04, 2013 at 09:04 PM.