HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:31 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
Discussion
heli motors how many flights?

how long are your micro heli motors lasting - i've already replaced mine once but i think the 2nd one is on the way out too ...

what mileage you getting
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Are you talking about a 4 channel heli motor like the one that's on the V911, or are you talking about a 6 channel heli motor? The V911 motor seems to last a reasonable amount of time, but the motors on a 6 channel heli, like a Walkera Genius CP or Super CP don't last long at all; you have to go brushless. What's disappointing is the motor on the heavier Genius CP is the same (in dimensions) as the motor on the lighter V911.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2013
258 Posts
what you are flying might help us answer, but as said it depends if its a 4ch fp or 6 ch cp heli.

My v911 must have run atleast 2 months of daily flying and the motor is still going fine. I replaced it as the pinion was really worn. The new motor performs the same as the old motor (despite the old motor having a badly worn pinion)

I do oil my motors though regularly, even the tail motor is fine an its had a few dunts.

Got to hand it to the v911 at 23 delivered RTF

CP helis generally have shorter lifes with brushed motors due to them running at a high constant speed and get put under alot of load.

With the v911 it seems that the motors dont get put under too much load and i think they dont ever run at there max rpm
bazsound is offline Find More Posts by bazsound
Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:54 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
i'm flying a HiSky FBL100 (same as HK FBL100) ...think its 5 channel but might be wrong there... its definitely CP (with gyro gain adjust etc)
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:10 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,605 Posts
My GeniusCP averaged two motors a month.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Jun 2013
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
My GeniusCP averaged two motors a month.
thats really a good advertisement to go brushless
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:26 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
thats really a good advertisement to go brushless
I did. Twice! The 10A esc didn't have enough juice to actually start the motor by itself, and ended up burning out after two days, the same thing happened to the second esc. This was with the 'recommended' micro brushless because the official walkera brushless conversion kit barely had enough power to get the heli off the ground.

Hopefully the newer micro brushless kits are better and maybe i'll try again in a couple of months.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Jun 2013
258 Posts
Quote:
I did. Twice! The 10A esc didn't have enough juice to actually start the motor by itself, and ended up burning out after two days, the same thing happened to the second esc. This was with the 'recommended' micro brushless because the official walkera brushless conversion kit barely had enough power to get the heli off the ground.

Hopefully the newer micro brushless kits are better and maybe i'll try again in a couple of months.
thats odd as the super CP seems to work pretty well with the same setup.

brushlesss should be way more power than the original motors, an the 10amp works fine with the super cp (well except for a few isolated problems relating to noise in the signal and incorrect bl heli versions)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:55 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:

This is my setup, except with a 7 tooth pinion instead of an 8 tooth pinion. My oldest is 9 months old and it still runs. I had to retire the heli, though, because the circuit board went bad.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:54 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,510 Posts
All depends on heli. Like stated 4 ch vs c/p helis. Also how you fly/ hot/ heavy / back to back don't expect much. Brushless is fine but you need right gear to work. How much pitch you use also, many fly with pitch high to max out motor.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04