HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
351 Posts
Discussion
Crabbing

Got any tops or tricks for crabbing? Its always pretty windy where I fly and crabbing is pretty essential to being able to land. Scares the crap out of me every time I have to do it.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
992 Posts
Go up a little way, and try learning to side slip. Using aileron one direction, and opposite rudder to establish a sideways movement of your plane, but headed at the runway. Just b4 touchdown, straighten it out. It can be a tricky manuever but very effective. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:48 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
345 Posts
Lead the slip with aileron adding rudder as needed.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:59 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
When I lived on the bayou before Katrina I crabbed everyday....ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
I had to do this today. My plane came I diagonal and then at the last second I added some opposite rudder and landed straight. Watch videos of commercial airliners doing it. That helped me.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:48 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,470 Posts
When landing in a crosswind, on the approach the plane isn't 'crabbing' (as in side slipping) as all, it just looks like it is because it's not aligned with the direction of travel over the ground, but it is aligned with the direction of travel through the air, so need for any cross control at all. It's only in the final few seconds before touchdown that you kick some rudder in to make the plane aligned with runway and so give the landing gear an easier time.

The B-52 bomber has rotating landing gear so you don't have to worry about the rudder on touchdown.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:54 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
When landing in a crosswind, on the approach the plane isn't 'crabbing' (as in side slipping) as all, it just looks like it is because it's not aligned with the direction of travel over the ground, but it is aligned with the direction of travel through the air, so need for any cross control at all. It's only in the final few seconds before touchdown that you kick some rudder in to make the plane aligned with runway and so give the landing gear an easier time.

The B-52 bomber has rotating landing gear so you don't have to worry about the rudder on touchdown.
Actually, it is:

And this is sideslipping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cr...lip-notext.svg
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Actually, it is:

And this is sideslipping:

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:37 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,470 Posts
Gerry,

I phrased my post badly and mixed 'crab' with 'side-slip'.. they are actually not the same... What I was trying to say is that in a cross wind approach, when you see a plane on it's descent and it looks like it's flying sideways - it actually isn't. As your diagram nicely points out the plane is actually flying straight into it's 'relative wind' the pilot doesn't have to do any fancy flying. It's only in the last few feet before touchdown that the pilot kicks in some rudder to side slip the plane (de-crab) so that the wheels are aligned with the runway, that's the tricky bit.

A side slip approach used to bleed off speed in a non-cross wind approach is different, on that the pilot is cross controlling throughout the descent.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
What I noticed yesterday in windy conditions. The plane still flies the same except it's at an angle on approach vs straight. I didn't really notice it looking straight on until the plane passed me close to touch down.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Gerry,

I phrased my post badly and mixed 'crab' with 'side-slip'.. they are actually not the same... What I was trying to say is that in a cross wind approach, when you see a plane on it's descent and it looks like it's flying sideways - it actually isn't. As your diagram nicely points out the plane is actually flying straight into it's 'relative wind' the pilot doesn't have to do any fancy flying. It's only in the last few feet before touchdown that the pilot kicks in some rudder to side slip the plane (de-crab) so that the wheels are aligned with the runway, that's the tricky bit.

A side slip approach used to bleed off speed in a non-cross wind approach is different, on that the pilot is cross controlling throughout the descent.
Ok, gotcha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
This post reminds me of something that used to scare the hell out of me as a kid flying with my dad. He was a senior airline captain and from the time I was aware he owned this beautiful Piper Cub he built when he was an A&P mech growing up on his dads airport. Anyhow, we owned a big piece of land where he loved to land his plane in the back. It was just long enough, but on one end there was a stand of pine tree's that he sometimes had to make his landing approach over. He was always trying to teach me and one day said let me show you how to make a plane do what you want it to do. He came over those pines turned the plane sideways, the plane dropped down scarily for me, he straightened it up and set it down nice and smooth 100' from the tree line. Then he said now do you think you can slip this baby down like that, I was 14 and I may have made a little wet spot on my jeans. You should have seen him fly his BD-5 pusher he built at the airport in his hanger and a Rotorway single place heli. Are all pilots nuts??? Dave, I miss my dad...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:48 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
992 Posts
Dave; In the mid 70s I worked at Rotorway when B.J. Schramm was the owner and Stretch Wolter was the test pilot and instructor. Yes I have time in the rotorway Exec I also have a PP license and quite a few different flights in the old log book, including an S2 Pitts, Baby Great Lakes, and Aero Commander Shrike ,With Bob Hoover just to name a few
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
My father borrowed a Bearcat showplane and speed demon from his old friend Corky Fornof and took me for the ride of my life in 1971, I was 17, him 41. Hammerheads, 8 point barrel rolls 50' over the runway. Later down the road a 450mph ride in a P-1 Mustang, another of his buddies. My mom only let him buy fast cars, like his '64 Shelby Cobra. He never let me drive it!!!!! Dave, yea, I'm spoiled.... BTW, Stretch came to our home and certified my dad in the Scorpion once it was built, they did checks at different build points.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
I wish these transmitters had foot pedals. It's hard managing throttle and rudder on landing in cross winds. I guess that's something I'll get used to eventually.