HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Discussion
Sportsman Aviation Paramount 50/72 ARF

I've had this plane in storage ever since it was finished - about the same time son #1 arrived and I let my club membership lapse.

Going to convert it to electric - out with the Saito .72 and Cline pump and in with a Turnigy G46 420kV, Turnigy dlux 70A ESC (with data logging) and 5S 3000mAh 30C battery.

Weight RTF (without fuel) with the Saito is 2.4kg.

Hopefully the motor kV is not too low - can fit up to a 15" prop on it but hoping to go with a 14x10 for 40A in. The 13.5x6 Bolly is a bit too small/low pitch for the motor.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaseySP; Jul 14, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Fixed battery capacity and motor kV.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Aug 2006
18 Posts
I'm surprised with the performance of a G32 770kV on 4S using a 12x4 prop. It gave me unlimited vertical on a 2.2kg trainer.

Each engine in the easy match line have more than one kv option. I could buy the G32 in 530, 600 or 77kV. The higher the kV the easyer to get best energy efficiency plus you can use smaller props...

In your case I believe you have the 420kV, and using 5S I would chose the 14x10 prop.

Very beautiful model btw...
Marcio Senger is offline Find More Posts by Marcio Senger
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Thanks Marcio - up late watching le Tour and got the kV wrong.

Very excited to finally get this one into the air - its been finished (in i/c form) for over 4 years now. All I've read about it shows it should be a sweetie to fly.

Removed all the glow bits - engine, mounting hardware, throttle servo, fuel tank, RX battery - all up weight saving just over 1kg.

Waiting for the ESC, connectors and motor standoffs to arrive now.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: It flies
Old Jul 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2006
18 Posts
You're lucky hk has a aussie warehouse. Every order I do takes AT LEAST 60 days to arrive here. And 90% of the time the package is awayting for customs inspection.

I also am back to the hobby after a lack of 3 to 4 years due to graduatuion-work-first daughter, and changing from glow to electric. I don't know if you were into electrics before, but be sure, the pleasure of flying all day long, no deadsticks, no mess with oil and dirty stuff, no more dealing with methanol and nitro, all this is just outstanding.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio Senger View Post
You're lucky hk has a aussie warehouse. Every order I do takes AT LEAST 60 days to arrive here. And 90% of the time the package is awayting for customs inspection.

I also am back to the hobby after a lack of 3 to 4 years due to graduatuion-work-first daughter, and changing from glow to electric. I don't know if you were into electrics before, but be sure, the pleasure of flying all day long, no deadsticks, no mess with oil and dirty stuff, no more dealing with methanol and nitro, all this is just outstanding.
Yes - the motor and battery were from the Sydney warehouse and from a flash sale.

The other bits are coming from Hong Kong - the Australian store only carries limited items, but they did get my order to me within 2 business days from ordering. The international store? Still waiting.

I also had a long sabbatical from flying while I moved about a bit and explored other interests. My re-introduction was an eBay electric foamy and then I got back into nitro power. Sons 1, 2 and 3 have slowed things down a bit, and flying is usually restricted to a Sunday morning down at the school oval with a friend or two - hence the preference for electric power.

When I flew in mid - late eighties electric power was restricted to buggy motors and nicads, crammed into a glider which didn't glide at all. Who could have imagined the planes we can fly today on electric power?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Bits have arrived from HK so some more progress.

Used some M4 60mm standoffs, but had to cut off about 10mm from each then drill and re-tap the cut ends.

A 1.5mm ply plate was sandwiched between the standoffs an the firewall to help locate the motor on the firewall (significant side and a little down thrust is built into the firewall and moulded into the cowl).

Also drilled and tapped the prop driver shaft for the spinner M4 screw.

Any ideas on how to block the cut outs in the cowl used to fit the Saito but no longer needed?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
All up weight of the electric power bits about 80g less then glow power.

Problem is the Saito .72 had more weight further forwards, meaning I will have to add about 50-100g ballast to be within the recommended CG range.

I still have to fit the battery tray, bigger wheels and wheel spats (all ahead of the CG) and may get some bigger batteries in the future to lessen the "dead" weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
All read for a maiden tomorrow all going well.

Max power is 670W @ 35.6A. Will try to pull vertical out of my hands, so somewhat better then 1:1 power to weight.

Batteries should be fairly untaxed - under 12C at full power.

Should be good for about 10mins of mixed flying, but will restrict the maiden to about 5.

RTF weight is 2.5kg. 100g more then the aircraft was with the 4 stroke (empty), but 120g of that is ballast to get it to the rear of the CG range. Max recommended flying weight is 2.6kg, so shouldn't be a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaseySP; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added weight of conversion.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:58 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Successful maiden! Needed a couple of clicks of down trim and then it flew straight as a die. Very quick in the roll - will reduce aileron throws by 30% and add a bit more exponential.

Possibly needs more rudder (flying with 100%) - a fair amount of mechanical adjustment with the pull-pull system but will wait until I try a bit of proper knife-edge flying.

Also needs both ailerons "reflexed" up a touch as it seemed to be flying with slight down flap. Might also explain the need for down trim?

CG test seemed spot on with the CG at the rear of the recommended range. Trust angle also seemed spot on as built into the firewall with no trim changes regardless of throttle setting.

Limited flight to 5 mins for 1300mAh used from pack with a fair amount of vertical testing. Comfortable for 8-10mins of mixed flying.

Vertical is great, stall benign (nodded the nose) and landing was a breeze. Still, its a big plane and needs a bit of room.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2006
18 Posts
That's awesome, no more mess with dirty fuel, vibration and deadsticks. Your plane is happy now!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:18 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Thanks Marcio. I was looking at another nitro plane I haven't flown in ages - an old MK kit Mighty Knight. A bit heavy with mechanical retracts, but powered by an OS.32FSR (actually a helicopter engine fitted with a round head), it was a real rocket!

Might be the next one....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaseySP; May 04, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
Australia, NSW, Lake Bathurst
Joined Oct 2009
2 Posts
Mighty Knight plan

Hi Casey,
I am looking for a Mighty Knight Plan.
I had one and I am interested in building another.
Do you have any photos
Regards Hava
hava is offline Find More Posts by hava
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:53 AM
Australia, NSW, Lake Bathurst
Joined Oct 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP View Post
Thanks Marcio. I was looking at another nitro plane I haven't flown in ages - an old MK kit Mighty Knight. A bit heavy with mechanical retracts, but powered by an OS.28FSR (actually a helicopter engine fitted with a round head), it was a real rocket!

Might be the next one....
Hi Casey,Do you have the Mighty Knight plan
hava is offline Find More Posts by hava
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:13 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Apologies Hava for the delay in replying.

I do have the Mighty Knight plans - will respond to your PM.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 09:18 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,228 Posts
Great looking plane!

Do you have the plans in digital format? I can have them printed if you have CAD files. Please let me know. Thank you.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100