HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 04:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2012
3 Posts
Poll
Balsa scratch build forum idea

hello everybody i was wondering what you lot think about starting a balsa scratch build forum ???. I think that balsa is a good a foam to why can't us balsa scratch builders have our own forum. Grateful for any replies
Trainer plane 2 is offline Find More Posts by Trainer plane 2
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 05:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,080 Posts
There are already a few forums on the site that discuss building models from scratch, plans and kits, for example:

http://www.rcgroups.com/the-builders-workshop-131/
http://www.rcgroups.com/vintage-and-...r-designs-209/
http://www.rcgroups.com/free-flight-64/

Have a browse and see if these cover the sort of subjects you wanted to discuss.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 03, 2012, 07:46 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,465 Posts
Sorry, but no.

I personally feel there are already so many, (too many ?), forums to choose from when deciding where to start a new thread on a scratch build, whether balsa, foam, or whatever.

I think most of those many builders who still prefer balsa, also prefer to stick with the dedicated model type forums such as scale, warbirds, jets, 3D, aerobatic, vintage, etc etc. which already cover both balsa and foam models.
I notice the Fuel group of forums, (mostly balsa builders I would guess), do not even mention 'scratch built'.

The term 'Scratch built', can cover so may different types of model, and can even have different meanings to some people, (built totally from scratch, built from a plan, built from a kit etc.).

Please, no more sub divisions of forums.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 03, 2012, 08:05 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,178 Posts
How about a "Scratch Built Electric for Left Handed Girls"?

Note,, Massive Sarcasm! There is cross interest in all the
sections now. Like the Vintage, there are a lot of electrics
there and nobody gets beat up over it. Same with scale.
Even though they have separate sections for them.

A note in the conversion section would be nice for those
building planes originally designed for stink motors.

My two cents!

How about a feminine hygiene section? Or a shoe section?
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old May 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
How about a "Scratch Built Electric for Left Handed Girls"?

........................................... Or a shoe section?
There could never be a forum, (or server, or even hangar), big enough to handle the number of women's shoes
Old May 03, 2012, 08:48 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
There could never be a forum, (or server, or even hangar), big enough to handle the number of women's shoes
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2011...llion-redesign
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old May 03, 2012, 08:50 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
An even more cynical nature than Kimber's suggests that there'll only be a 'market' for a full blown all balsa scratch build forum when the genre exhibits a lot more 'New! Exciting! Products!' that can be marketed/ have commercials sold.

Perhaps if one of the Kardashian sisters took up building Guillows' kit models?

Go look in the 'Sports' forum. Threads on own design wood structured models end up with a dozens, if lucky, posts and maybe a couple of hundred views.

Threads which amount to 'I've bought a new shiny box like I was told to - how do I get this shrink wrap off it' run to hundred of posts and thousands of views. They often last long after Chian has done making the 'product' and it has degenerated to a 'collectible' on EBay...

I'll go with not complicating RCG with any more forums. We builders know where our interests are covered, as do the hobby buyers.

Not personally sure about women's shoes, though my wife's collection of office clothing is, I believe, fairly remarkable... But as I ride an English made custom built road bike that I spec'd and assembled myself, I have to be circumspect about strange behaviour at times .

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Henchmen wanted. Send Resume.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,053 Posts
Well I could see a need for it and a general straightening out of some forums. The Scale Forum has plenty of scratch builds, but if you aren't building scale you're out of luck. Same with Oldtimers. The Builder's Workshop is now inclusive of everything from Harbor Freight foamies , how to fix servos, how to paint a workshop floor, and the monthly scrollsaw or bandsaw debate.
God forbid I had a plane that was part foam and part balsa, that was scale, that was a parkflyer, that was an EDF, that was scratchbuilt, that was a warbird.... I'd pass out before I found the correct forum to post.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,209 Posts
Snuk into Kimbers house this is what I found in the closet.

http://theendofcollection.wordpress....imelda-marcos/

Had to use GPS to find my way out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Well I could see a need for it and a general straightening out of some forums. The Scale Forum has plenty of scratch builds, but if you aren't building scale you're out of luck. Same with Oldtimers. The Builder's Workshop is now inclusive of everything from Harbor Freight foamies , how to fix servos, how to paint a workshop floor, and the monthly scrollsaw or bandsaw debate.
God forbid I had a plane that was part foam and part balsa, that was scale, that was a parkflyer, that was an EDF, that was scratchbuilt, that was a warbird.... I'd pass out before I found the correct forum to post.
You left out "that was electric and for left handed girls".
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, MS, Southaven
Joined Jul 2005
30 Posts
There is a Foamies Scratch Built forum so why not a forum for us who would rather work with balsa.
AJSmith is offline Find More Posts by AJSmith
Old May 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, MI, Vassar
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts
just do it, why ask always nice to see something new and not arfs
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old May 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer plane 2 View Post
hello everybody i was wondering what you lot think about starting a balsa scratch build forum ???. I think that balsa is a good a foam to why can't us balsa scratch builders have our own forum. Grateful for any replies
If you are really serious go here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/new-forum-requests-185/

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 03, 2012, 02:16 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,267 Posts
I wondered about this in the past because I figured if there's one for foamies, why not have one for balsa?

I think it's simple. Foam is an extremely easy, quick medium to work with. Tons and tons and tons of people build foamies, and many of them are just experiments or even forum-related jokes between members. I can hammer out an ugly foam wing in twenty minutes and bash it around endlessly at the field down the street.

Balsa, on the other hand, requires time, work, and some level of skill. Even a very simple balsa model (e.g. Slipso400) takes more time and effort than a large percentage of the scratchbuilt foamies out there. Not a lot of people are out bashing together balsa models in an afternoon and then going and abusing them at the park.

This isn't to say there aren't complex, time-consuming foamies, obviously. It's just a matter of foam being a cheap, accessible way for virtually anyone to hack together a plane and fly it, whereas balsa takes a little more time and dedication. It's that extra bit of user-friendliness that makes foam a popular enough material to have its own forum.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 03, 2012, 02:43 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,465 Posts
There is also a Foamies (Kits), does that mean there needs to be a Balsa (Kits) as well ?

And like I pointed out in my post #3, just what is meant by a 'Scratch built' ?

Why not use the existing forums and just prefix a thread...."Balsa...... or "Foam........ .

I notice there is a 'Nurflügel Forum', basically flying wings, (for which a forum exists), but for Horten style flying wings, (surely not flying wing elitism as well ?)..

I'm sure Dereck would approve a 'Big Shiny Box' forum for all the ARF, RTF models whatever power or material, though I think the big IMAA fliers might object, (they will probably want a 'Really Really Big Shiny Box' forum ).
Old May 03, 2012, 08:45 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
But if we had a BARF (bought all ready to fix - Roland Graunchet) Only forum, it would have to be the first forum on the opening screen.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck