HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,703 Posts
Question
Beech King Air 200

Does anybody know of any plans available for the King Air 200 (aka Super King Air)? Ideally, around 72in wingspan, but I'm more than happy to scale them - and of course convert from i.c. etc.

Thanks in anticipation,

Trevor
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
southern Illinois
Joined Jan 2010
473 Posts
That would make a really neat RC plane. One of my brothers flew a full size king air for a few years and then his company he is working for switched over to a Cessna Bravo jet. I always liked the lines of the King Air. Sorry I can't help you on plans.
Dizzy5 is offline Find More Posts by Dizzy5
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:35 PM
USA, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2005
466 Posts
Good luck, I found nothing for my be-1900. I scratch built mine from a three view. Here it is

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364353
olds455 is offline Find More Posts by olds455
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,799 Posts
This one comes to mind first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmoLrO4fC_E

Sorry - have no idea of plans availability, exact size (looks >> 72"), nor how to contact the builder/designer.

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,954 Posts
That certainly seems to be an interesting choice and a departure from your norm, Trevor. What piques your interest in the King Air? We have one based here that does fisheries patrols daily.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,703 Posts
Olds455, that's a great project there, belated congratulations on the maiden flight. I have subscribed to your thread to follow your further progress. I would be interested to hear what your wing loading finally works out at. If I build one to 72in wingspan, I would be content with a wing loading of up to 25oz/sq ft, ideally nearer 20.

Thomanie, thanks for the video link. The trouble is, when you see models of that quality, it can make one's own efforts seem a bit puny!

Frank, As I'm sure you realise, the process of choosing what to build is not a rational one! However, I started out thinking that I wanted something a bit different, perhaps a canard. Looking around, I came across a couple of plans for the Lear Fan - not quite a canard but with a pusher motor and a 'Y' tail, it is certainly different. It is still a candidate.

Then I remembered seeing the King Air at the Bournemouth Air show a couple of years ago. It looked very graceful in flight but also was surprisingly aerobatic so would be more fun to fly than the average civilian airliner - who knows, if it works out, I might even manage to part with my DC3! Any links to your local King Air - as someone said during my Chipmunk build, it's never to early to start thinking about colour schemes!

Trevor
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:32 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
620 Posts
I love that video

If plans ever did surface I would be first in line. Sounds like a good candidate for Wowplanes too.

I was introduced to this beauty while I was on the ramp conducting my preflight on my 172. One had just landed and parked right next to me. Hearing those turbines wind down so close was a real experience. I got to see them wind up too! (It was a long preflight) If the money would have held out I'd like to think I would be flying one today, ah well that's why we need to work on a little one.....keep the dream alive.

Dust
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:34 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
Any links to your local King Air - as someone said during my Chipmunk build, it's never to early to start thinking about colour schemes!

Trevor
Our local King Air is rather bland I'm afraid. Forest green and yellow. Also note that it has many "add-ons" in the form of radar pods and other sensors. It's a very capable maritime patrol aircraft.

Now, Pacific Coastal Airlines based in Vancouver also operates King Airs, and I think the white and dark blue colour scheme along with the tail art is rather catchy. I'm not sure how many are in the fleet, so I am sure there other examples of tail art if the fly fisherman doesn't suit your fancy. Each aircraft has different art on its tail, and some of it is quite nice. The Pacific Coastal aircraft all have the supplementary baggage pod slung underneath. Practical, but it does take away from the sleek lines a bit. We don't see the King Air here often, as it operates on lower capacity routes. Generally we see the Beech 1900, Saab 340, or the Shorts 360, and only occasionally the King Air.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Still under development...

Trevor: this molded ARF has been under development for a fairly long time. Unfortunately, it's not avaliable as a plan. http://www.scaleflying.com/COMING-SO...-ARF_p_52.html.

Available as a plan, but both sizes bigger than your inquiry, is Wendell Hostetler's Cessna 421C. Nice, but not a T-tail: http://hostetlersplans.com/cessna421c.html.

Best regards -- Joel
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:33 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,954 Posts
Further to Pacific Coastal Airlines, it would appear they have only one King Air in the fleet, so if you want the colour scheme to be scale, it looks like it will need to be the fisherman. Unless of course you want to use one of their other "tails" for fun: http://www.pacificcoastal.com/id/219/Tale-of-Tails.html I rather fancy the bear myself.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:15 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
If the King Air's on this webpage are 200's then I can get you as much detail as you need. No 3 views though.

http://www.beringair.com

In a former life I loaded tons of gear into those belly pods. Low wings and belly pods! I don't know who came up with that idea but just try that in the snow and ice.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:34 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
If those are 200's I can get access the maintenance manuals. The manuals appear to cover 100's and 200's, etc. I don't know if there are any 3 view drawings in them though.

Let me know.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:24 AM
DARWIN, N.T. AUSTRALIA
Joined Apr 2005
80 Posts
Here is a poor copy of a 3 view. I have a better drawing in a mag somewhere but it will take a bit of finding so this will have to do for the time being.
John
EXBIRDY is offline Find More Posts by EXBIRDY
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Feb 2010
132 Posts
Good luck with this. I wanted to build one and did not find anything, so I modeled the plane in sketchup to make my own plans. Other projects and life got in the way though so this is just the shell at the moment. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you the sketchup file.
I did not have cross sections in the 3 view I used so this is probably not 100% scale, but I think it looks reasonably close.
I was lucky enough to fly in one - great plane!
leleopard is offline Find More Posts by leleopard
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:13 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,703 Posts
Having got thoroughly confused about Beech's numbering, naming and branding, I went back to find the aircraft that impressed me at Bournemouth. It is G-RAFP, pictured on this page. (More pics here)

As far as I can tell Mike, it does seem to be the same as those on the Bering Air website - apart from the belly pan of course.

Joel, I too stumbled across that ARF project and have e-mailed them just in case they have anything that may help.

Exbirdy, that's a useful looking drawing. If you do come across a higher res version, could you e-mail it to me please (you should be able to e-mail me through RCgroups, if not try the Mail Me button on my site)

Having looked at the length of those nacelles, that belly pan might be just in the right place for the battery. I agree that it does spoil the lines though and, more importantly, G-RAFP doesn't have one!

Thanks for all the help guys, keep the ideas coming.

Trevor

Current shortlist: King Air, Lear Fan, Comet (DH88 of course)